Sponsored

Clunking after Vorshlag Camber Plate install - Help wanted!

OP
OP
Kachow

Kachow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The metal backing on the pads have some clearance to "float" inside the caliper. Every pad is a little different. Every time you apply the brakes the backing plates contact one side of the caliper

If you're stumped on the noise, you might try pulling the pads and greasing the the contact surfaces in the caliper to see if it helps. The fact it only makes noise when warm and an aluminum caliper has 3x the thermal expansion of steel backing plates (like if there's any gap it gets 3x bigger the hotter it gets) makes me think it's worth a shot.
Thank you. Going to try switching the retainer clips on each side and grease. Will update thread if that solves it. Thanks for the help Matt.
Sponsored

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
I torqued it all down but its still clunking like crazy. Definitely coming from the BMR camber plates. Have you ever installed these?
I don’t have experience with BMR but these things are nothing fancy you should be able to feel with your hand where it’s coming from.

Get someone to help push on the front of the car while you feel around.

It very well could be play in that spherical ball. It doesn’t take much gap for those things to make a racket.

use a long screw driver up to your ear if you need to.

69boss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kasey
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT mustang Premium
I don’t have experience with BMR but these things are nothing fancy you should be able to feel with your hand where it’s coming from.

Get someone to help push on the front of the car while you feel around.

It very well could be play in that spherical ball. It doesn’t take much gap for those things to make a racket.

use a long screw driver up to your ear if you need to.
I figured out the clunk. It was just bad QC from BMR. The spacer between the shaft and bearing was too long.
Is it possible to adjust the caster/camber while the suspension is loaded? Or do I need to unload it then guess and check until it’s right?

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
I figured out the clunk. It was just bad QC from BMR. The spacer between the shaft and bearing was too long.
Is it possible to adjust the caster/camber while the suspension is loaded? Or do I need to unload it then guess and check until it’s right?
pry bar and a rag to protect the paint works for me

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed Manual
Thank you. Going to try switching the retainer clips on each side and grease. Will update thread if that solves it. Thanks for the help Matt.
Did you ever figure this out?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kachow

Kachow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Did you ever figure this out?
Sure didn't. Have had 2 shops look at it - can't see anything wrong. Joined a group on facebook, several others have the same slow speed clunk after installing camber plates. Going to chalk it up as design flaw and stop chasing it.

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Sure didn't. Have had 2 shops look at it - can't see anything wrong. Joined a group on facebook, several others have the same slow speed clunk after installing camber plates. Going to chalk it up as design flaw and stop chasing it.
I’ve run vorshlag plates on BMW and S550. I got the occasional clunk, pop, and creak in both cars. I think they’re an amazing product for the intended use. I’d pick them every time for a primarily track focussed build.

But I run ford performance camber plates and crash bolts in my dual use car to get similar alignment specs without the side effects.

OP
OP
Kachow

Kachow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I’ve run vorshlag plates on BMW and S550. I got the occasional clunk, pop, and creak in both cars. I think they’re an amazing product for the intended use. I’d pick them every time for a primarily track focussed build.

But I run ford performance camber plates and crash bolts in my dual use car to get similar alignment specs without the side effects.
I am going back to this setup when I can.
Sponsored