CLUNKING AFTER SHUTTING OFF THE VEHICLE

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Sometimes when I'm in bed at night I think I can hear the car whispering to me from the garage but I don't think it's a mechanical issue either.
Sponsored

OP
OP

PAWOLF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350
Wow thank you for the help guys. This forum is so difffent from all the other forums I’ve been a member to. You guys are so helpful. This makes me feel better about the car. As far as shutting down the vehicle goes, I turn the valves to closed mode and shit the car off with the clutch in but still makes the thump sound. But don’t care since it seems like it’s a normal thing. And it also explains a lot that our clutch is a little louder than most since it’s a twin disk.

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
My 2016 track pack has a very noticeable clunk when shitting down. Seems to run fine though. 29,000 miles on the car now.

-T
Wow thank you for the help guys. This forum is so difffent from all the other forums I’ve been a member to. You guys are so helpful. This makes me feel better about the car. As far as shutting down the vehicle goes, I turn the valves to closed mode and shit the car off with the clutch in but still makes the thump sound. But don’t care since it seems like it’s a normal thing. And it also explains a lot that our clutch is a little louder than most since it’s a twin disk.
What's with the Shitting stuff? LOL :shrug::shrug:

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Just read this thread and saw my typo, and then saw another similar one, haha. Hopefully not a sign of things to come. And now I’ll never be able to fix my original post.

-T

Sponsored

Offboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JR101 Kona Blue R Sold 1/21/19 New 2019;Ruby Red Raptor
Noise is from the dual mass flywheel on shutdown absolutely normal!

Dual-mass flywheel

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Flywheel.
220px-Zweimassenschwungrad_und_kupplung_aufgeschnitten.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zweimassenschwungrad_und_kupplung_aufgeschnitten.jpg
Dual-mass flywheel section

A dual-mass flywheel or DMF is a rotating mechanical device that is used to provide continuous energy (rotational energy) in systems where the energy source is not continuous, the same way as a conventional flywheel acts, but damping any violent variation of torque or revolutions that could cause an unwanted vibration. The vibration reduction is achieved by accumulating stored energy in the two flywheel half masses over a period of time but damped by a series of strong springs, doing that at a rate that is compatible with the energy source, and then releasing that energy at a much higher rate over a relatively short time. A compact dual-mass flywheel often includes the whole clutch, including the pressure plate and the friction disc.[1]

Contents

[hide]

History[edit]

220px-Torque_Converter_Centrifugal_Pendulum_Absorber.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Torque_Converter_Centrifugal_Pendulum_Absorber.png
Schaeffler torque converter with a pendulum absorber using the same DMF's bent springs.

Dual-mass flywheels were developed to address the escalation of torque and power, especially at low revs. The growing concern for the environment and the adoption of more stringent regulations have marked the development of more efficient new engines, lowering the cylinder number to 3 or even 2 cylinders, and allowing the delivery of more torque and power at low revolutions. The counterpart has been an increase in the level of vibration which traditional clutch discs are unable to absorb. This is where the dual-mass flywheels play a key role, making these mechanical developments more viable.[2]
The absorption capacity of the vibration depends on the moving parts of the DMF, these parts are subject to wear. Whenever the clutch is replaced, the DMF should be checked for wear. The two key wear characteristics are freeplay and sideplay (rock). These should be measured to determine whether the flywheel is serviceable. The wear limit specifications can be found in vehicle or flywheel manufacturer's published documentation. Other failure modes are severely grooved/damaged clutch mating surface, grease loss, and cracking.[2]

tjbrowder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R -HR773
Not aware of the noise, but shifting was clunky when I first got the car. Now have a little over 1,000 miles, and the shift action has improved. I hope it continues to the level my Z/28 was.....that particular Tremec and shifter were absolute silk.

OP
OP

PAWOLF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350
Not aware of the noise, but shifting was clunky when I first got the car. Now have a little over 1,000 miles, and the shift action has improved. I hope it continues to the level my Z/28 was.....that particular Tremec and shifter were absolute silk.
That's good to hear. I feel like my gears are slowly getting smoother as well.

Noise is from the dual mass flywheel on shutdown absolutely normal!

Thank god :headbang:

Dual-mass flywheel

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
For other uses, see Flywheel.
220px-Zweimassenschwungrad_und_kupplung_aufgeschnitten.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zweimassenschwungrad_und_kupplung_aufgeschnitten.jpg
Dual-mass flywheel section

A dual-mass flywheel or DMF is a rotating mechanical device that is used to provide continuous energy (rotational energy) in systems where the energy source is not continuous, the same way as a conventional flywheel acts, but damping any violent variation of torque or revolutions that could cause an unwanted vibration. The vibration reduction is achieved by accumulating stored energy in the two flywheel half masses over a period of time but damped by a series of strong springs, doing that at a rate that is compatible with the energy source, and then releasing that energy at a much higher rate over a relatively short time. A compact dual-mass flywheel often includes the whole clutch, including the pressure plate and the friction disc.[1]

Contents

[hide]

History[edit]

220px-Torque_Converter_Centrifugal_Pendulum_Absorber.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Torque_Converter_Centrifugal_Pendulum_Absorber.png
Schaeffler torque converter with a pendulum absorber using the same DMF's bent springs.

Dual-mass flywheels were developed to address the escalation of torque and power, especially at low revs. The growing concern for the environment and the adoption of more stringent regulations have marked the development of more efficient new engines, lowering the cylinder number to 3 or even 2 cylinders, and allowing the delivery of more torque and power at low revolutions. The counterpart has been an increase in the level of vibration which traditional clutch discs are unable to absorb. This is where the dual-mass flywheels play a key role, making these mechanical developments more viable.[2]
The absorption capacity of the vibration depends on the moving parts of the DMF, these parts are subject to wear. Whenever the clutch is replaced, the DMF should be checked for wear. The two key wear characteristics are freeplay and sideplay (rock). These should be measured to determine whether the flywheel is serviceable. The wear limit specifications can be found in vehicle or flywheel manufacturer's published documentation. Other failure modes are severely grooved/damaged clutch mating surface, grease loss, and cracking.[2]
thank you for your detailed response.

What's with the Shitting stuff? LOL :shrug::shrug:
LOLLLLLLLLLLL typos I didn't even know i wrote that :headbonk:

Sponsored

Agent337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/ Black Stripes
When I first got my 2017 GT350 (16.6 miles on the ODO) the shifter was quite notchy, it was difficult downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, but it loosened up nicely as the miles packed on. Mine shifts great now. (6,700 miles)

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Because of the higher torque capacity, Tremec originally designed the 3160 trans for truck applications, but they also made it modular to offer a few options for gear ratios with single or double overdrive. As far as I know this has only been offered in some Cadillacs, Camaro and GT350, but has some of the latest manual technology.
These definitely get better the more miles are put on the car.
Here is some background info:

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/File/TREMEC_TR-3160.Transmission.pdf

OP
OP

PAWOLF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350
When I first got my 2017 GT350 (16.6 miles on the ODO) the shifter was quite notchy, it was difficult downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, but it loosened up nicely as the miles packed on. Mine shifts great now. (6,700 miles)
Because of the higher torque capacity, Tremec originally designed the 3160 trans for truck applications, but they also made it modular to offer a few options for gear ratios with single or double overdrive. As far as I know this has only been offered in some Cadillacs, Camaro and GT350, but has some of the latest manual technology.
These definitely get better the more miles are put on the car.
Here is some background info:

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/File/TREMEC_TR-3160.Transmission.pdf
Yea I slowly see it getting smoother. I did have to break it in! I'm enjoying it way more knowing that nothing is wrong

:love:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So far, seems to be a pretty stout unit. I don't think I've heard of anyone blowing up a 3160 yet in a GT350.
Sponsored