Sponsored

Clunk / Rattle Right Rear Suspension

erne75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
I found my issue. It was in fact the UPR adjustable toe link. The spherical bearings get crud on them and they start popping. The shock from the pop gets transmitted to the body as a clunk sound.
Sponsored

Clero2615

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ivan
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I found my issue. It was in fact the UPR adjustable toe link. The spherical bearings get crud on them and they start popping. The shock from the pop gets transmitted to the body as a clunk sound.
brother i am having the same clunk and it is driving me crazy. i got the noise 2 weeks after installing upr toe link, and adjustable camber arms !
what did you do to fix the issue

DS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, PP, Recaro Seats, 401A
All, just wanted to give kudos to Matt at Steeda, and to the company for providing excellent support for their products. Two thumbs up!!
What was the final solution?

I have the adjustable Steeda shocks with the Steeda billet shock mounts and the same noise from the right rear, but only when rolling at 5-10mph. I have done one track and the car performed flawlessly with no noises. Same goes for any spirited driving around town. I have re-torqued the everything (Steeda adjustable sway bar endlinks, sway bar mounts, vertical links, etc. - all components are Steeda). I have had the shocks on for a year or two.

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I had to get my passenger side Steeda shock mount replaced at one point, the new one has been great. Now I believe my drivers side one might have failed? I have new OEM mounts and nuts I’m going to install tomorrow to see if it helps.

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I had to get my passenger side Steeda shock mount replaced at one point, the new one has been great. Now I believe my drivers side one might have failed? I have new OEM mounts and nuts I’m going to install tomorrow to see if it helps.
Just pulled the wheel off and have started to poke around. Steeda Mount appears A-ok. No rattles or play. The bearing is smooth and feels tight. I will leave that alone and keep looking.

That being said It was full of dirt and debris, which I always wonder if that might bind the system up and cause some noises here and there.

The dust caps on these are pretty much pointless. All paint pen bolts are still snug. Axle-nut is snug. Gonna maybe mount a GoPro and go for a drive.
7C8E29A8-ACC3-4BAE-BC80-2EC07109CAC0.jpeg
6E00320C-9257-4468-B094-D29BD72015CB.jpeg

Sponsored

erne75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
brother i am having the same clunk and it is driving me crazy. i got the noise 2 weeks after installing upr toe link, and adjustable camber arms !
what did you do to fix the issue
Make sure this is in fact your problem as 2 weeks sounds like not enough time to get so much crap in you bearings that they start popping. Then again, if lets say, you drive through some puddles of water and then through some dirt road, you might get enough contaminants in them so they start acting up. The "solution" was to thoroughly clean them with old trusty WD40 wich required uninstalling them one side at a time. The passenger side started making noises a week later after cleaning so I contacted UPR. They said that it was possible that they had a bad batch of spherical bearings at the beginning of production that were failing prematurely and sent me new ones (the half of the toe rod with the bearing on it). Again, I had to uninstall that side to install the bearing and put everything back on the car. It is quiet now and it has been for at least a month...It takes me now 30 minutes per side if the noises ever comes back, which it hasnt, to uninstall, clean the bearing, and put back on the car. In retrospect I wouldnt have done toe rods If I had known about this problem. Keep in mind that you can also buy rubber boots that go on the bearing end that keeps dirt out of the bearing and help with longevity.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Make sure this is in fact your problem as 2 weeks sounds like not enough time to get so much crap in you bearings that they start popping. Then again, if lets say, you drive through some puddles of water and then through some dirt road, you might get enough contaminants in them so they start acting up. The "solution" was to thoroughly clean them with old trusty WD40 wich required uninstalling them one side at a time. The passenger side started making noises a week later after cleaning so I contacted UPR. They said that it was possible that they had a bad batch of spherical bearings at the beginning of production that were failing prematurely and sent me new ones (the half of the toe rod with the bearing on it). Again, I had to uninstall that side to install the bearing and put everything back on the car. It is quiet now and it has been for at least a month...It takes me now 30 minutes per side if the noises ever comes back, which it hasnt, to uninstall, clean the bearing, and put back on the car. In retrospect I wouldnt have done toe rods If I had known about this problem. Keep in mind that you can also buy rubber boots that go on the bearing end that keeps dirt out of the bearing and help with longevity.
I had some problems with my BMR toe rods making clunking/creaking noises. I eventually took them out for new stock ones. Very frustrating because I love the BMR pieces - wish I had known about the rubber boots then.

erne75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
The clunking toe rods are back at full symphony. As soon as we got the daily showers down here in South Florida, all the dirt and crud from the road gets into the spherical bearings, and they start clunking. I just ordered the dust boots from Summit. I'll give it another try...

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
The clunking toe rods are back at full symphony. As soon as we got the daily showers down here in South Florida, all the dirt and crud from the road gets into the spherical bearings, and they start clunking. I just ordered the dust boots from Summit. I'll give it another try...
Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Do you have a link to those boots from Summit?

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
Both of my Steeda billet shock mounts started making the rattling noise last month. Steeda replaced both free of charge due to lifetime guarantee. When I put the new ones on, I covered the top of the mount with 2 layers of Gorilla duct tape to keep the bearings clean.

Sponsored

erne75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I only have BMR min drop springs, CB0005, and Steeda shock mounts. I recently started getting a creaking noise on the back passenger side it sounds like that I can only replicate by backing out of the driveway or going up it. Sometimes at low speeds or if I go up a hill, it creaks some. Anything that is not a flat surface. I tried bouncing the rear suspension and it makes 0 noise so I think it might be the shock mounts.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Zelek,

Send me your contact info to [email protected] - let me put you in contact with one of our techs & talk through your set-up.

Best Regards,

TJ

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
Easiest way to diagnose rr shock noise is to swap them side to side

erne75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP
I just finished installing my toe rod rubber boots. The first one went in relatively easy. I ripped the first on the other side but you get six in the package. Without the boots my toe rods would start popping/clunking after two months. I'll report back in two months. Hopefully the clunking doesnt come back now that the bearing is protected from road grime...
Sponsored