Sponsored

Close to a deal..need advice

Micklimey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 J0017
I’m very close to having a deal done on a new 350. It’s about a three hour drive from my home to the dealership. Just want to make sure I’m not forgetting anything while picking her up. So main points, besides making sure not to smile too much. Don’t let it idle for more than five minutes. Car currently had five miles on it. So while driving the first 100 miles, don’t exceed over 6000 rpms. Half throttle to 6000 from around 30mph to 60 mph and then let it naturally come back down to 30mph. I need to also bed the brakes, so I’m assuming I do this after I seat the rings. Do this by going from 60 down to 30 by braking fairly hard. Let the brakes cool off and repeat around ten times.

Also I have quotes on xpel ultimate from a reputable installer. Quoting me full hood, full fenders, mirrors, front bumper, door edge guard,headlights, and rocker panels for $2600. They want an additional $2200.00 for A pillar and quarters. Also $1300.00 for full ceramic pro 5 coating over the whole car including wheels. I’m good with the $2600. Just not sold on the $2200.00 for A pillars, and if ceramic coating is worth it, what do you think?
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
You sound OCD. Just drive it home and enjoy it. Flog it if you want, don't if you don't want.

I paid 4k for xpel on full front clip, rockers, trunk deck lid and behind the rear wheel, paint correction and full ceramic.

Socalrugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4111
I’m very close to having a deal done on a new 350. It’s about a three hour drive from my home to the dealership. Just want to make sure I’m not forgetting anything while picking her up. So main points, besides making sure not to smile too much. Don’t let it idle for more than five minutes. Car currently had five miles on it. So while driving the first 100 miles, don’t exceed over 6000 rpms. Half throttle to 6000 from around 30mph to 60 mph and then let it naturally come back down to 30mph. I need to also bed the brakes, so I’m assuming I do this after I seat the rings. Do this by going from 60 down to 30 by braking fairly hard. Let the brakes cool off and repeat around ten times.

Also I have quotes on xpel ultimate from a reputable installer. Quoting me full hood, full fenders, mirrors, front bumper, door edge guard,headlights, and rocker panels for $2600. They want an additional $2200.00 for A pillar and quarters. Also $1300.00 for full ceramic pro 5 coating over the whole car including wheels. I’m good with the $2600. Just not sold on the $2200.00 for A pillars, and if ceramic coating is worth it, what do you think?
Make sure the splitter is installed correctly prior to leaving the dealership.....

jlauth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I had to drive mine 200 miles when i got it i just would switch from 5th to 6th every 5-10 min so that the car wasn't sitting at the same RPM for and extended period on the highway. Other than that I kept it below 5k RPM for like 600-700 miles and and once it hit about 900-1000 miles it was fair game.

As others said check the splinter. Mine was not correct, and I did make it home (drove 70 tops all the way). However, i did have to remove and reset it and add all the missing fasteners when i got the car home.

Also I got PPF for about 2500. That includes full hood, front bumper, front fenders, headlights, side mirrors, a pillars, front of roof, and rear fender impact zone behind the door. The area behind the door is definitely a problem spot...mine doesn't cover the whole fender but im not sure thats needed.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
There’s a bunch of delivery checks in the GT350 Basics sticky in my sig.

Keep the rpms varied, keep them low too for the first 100 miles. Don’t go to redline until you reach temp. Shop around for a couple more quotes on the PFF.

Drive and enjoy!

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
WWaaaaaaayyyyyy overanalyzing this topic. Like mentioned, there are plenty of threads on this topic and you will get more opinions that will not help your decision. Just drive it, and drive it hard. Although you've already got the beaker hot, this is not a science project.

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
Make them put it on a lift and look underneath! I've bought a 350 and a 350R from separate dealers and guess what? BOTH had the splitter installed incorrectly, missing most of the critical fasteners!

PPF/Ceramic/paint correction = IMHO insane waste of money. It's a Ford, not a Ferrari. If it gets a few chips who cares. Car was built to go fast on track and they cheaped out on everything else which is totally fine with me.

Seat the rings, don't baby it once it's warmed up. Those first few miles are critical. Several short, full throttle bursts. Doesn't need to be high RPM. Neither of my cars burn any oil between changes.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
My first chip on my 16 was the leading edge of the roof

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
My car was driven 700 miles by NC dealership delivery driver over to my house in OH. Pretty sure he did not any of this shit with varying RPM. Car works perfectly fine, doesn't take any oil...

This whole thing about setting a ring is nothing but complete nonsense.

Sponsored

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
My car was driven 700 miles by NC dealership delivery driver over to my house in OH. Pretty sure he did not any of this shit with varying RPM. Car works perfectly fine, doesn't take any oil...

With respect kz, if you had experience assembling or overhauling reciprocating engines you would see that is incorrect. You'd see the clueless owner that thinks they are doing their new engine a favor by babying it at low power, then after a while complains of excess oil consumption. An inspection reveals that the cylinder walls are glazed completely smooth with oxidized oil that hardens like enamel, and with no crosshatching for the oil film to adhere to and provide a proper seal, oil control is lost. Also reduces compression. The only fix is to re-hone the cylinders. Now most cars do fine because you can't help but use a lot of throttle to accelerate, but if one were particularly conscious about NOT getting on the throttle hard early in it's life you could cause problems later.

nimblepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My advice is just... look. Read the manual. Before I buy any car, I get hold of the manual and read it cover to cover. Here is the GT350 supplement for a 2018 GT350.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...ang-Supplement-version-1_su_EN-US_09_2017.pdf

On page 34, this is the entire entry about break-in. You do not have to baby this car. Just follow the manual and you'll be fine.

BREAKING-IN Your vehicle requires a break-in period. Drive your new vehicle at least 100 mi (160 km) before performing extended wide open throttle maneuvers and at least 1,000 mi (1,600 km) before performance or competition conditions. Note: Vary your speed frequently in order to give the moving parts a chance to break in.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Funny - considering for years when I was building engines, many ring manufacturers would include a paper with their piston rings about proper break in and seating of rings LOL.

OP
OP
Micklimey

Micklimey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 J0017
Thanks for everyone’s response. So close I can smell the exhaust. Hopefully I’ll have a new car come Friday or Saturday.
Sponsored