Sponsored

clicking sound w/ exhaust

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
So my mustang keeps making a clicking sound at idle and then the exhaust note will kinda go down the come back the clicking sound kinda sounds like a valve opening and closing maybe like an egr valve? It keeps doing it also to note iv had it almost stall in reverse a couple times and it's an auto
Sponsored

OP
OP
dirty-max

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And before anyone says anything..it's not my AC compressor

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
So my mustang keeps making a clicking sound at idle and then the exhaust note will kinda go down the come back the clicking sound kinda sounds like a valve opening and closing maybe like an egr valve? It keeps doing it also to note iv had it almost stall in reverse a couple times and it's an auto

Purge valve makes a clicking noise when activated. There is no EGR valve as that function is handled by the variable cam timing.

OP
OP
dirty-max

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the function of the purge valve? I have stock exhaust and I would hear a slight click and my exhaust would change for a second then go back to normal

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
What is the function of the purge valve? I have stock exhaust and I would hear a slight click and my exhaust would change for a second then go back to normal

Gasoline evaporates inside the gas tank and builds pressure. Emissions laws require this vapor be burned inside the engine rather than being released to atmosphere. The purge valve vents this fuel tank vapor into the engine when commanded by the PCM. The valve itself is run via PWM(pulse width modulation) which means it goes open/closed/open/closed very rapidly, thus making a clicking/ticking sound.

The exhaust system is irrelevant to the function of the purge system, however with a louder idle you might hear the slight change in idle RPM as the purge system is activated. The engine gets a sudden increase of fuel for a moment so the rpm's might jump ever so slightly.
Sponsored