"Clicking" Noise When Driving

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT, 1966 Cobra Replica
I have an issue with my 21 convertible. My clicking noise starts at 25 mph and goes to about 40 mph. Stops below 25 MPH. If this car had a speedometer cable, I'd be looking there. Sounds like a baseball card in the spokes of a bike. Speed sensitive. The faster I go, the more rapid the clicking. Nothing in the tires. Even in neutral, with and without air on. Does not appear to be coming from the engine or the manual trans. It is not the bar code label on the driveshaft. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Any loose labels making contact with wheels?

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Check your tires for a nail. Donā€™t laugh.

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Active grill shutters. I chased a clicking tapping noise back to them at one point.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
+1 for checking your tires for an object that doesnā€™t belong there. If you canā€™t see anything, check your tire pressures to see if thereā€™s one thatā€™s low. My wife picked up a small piece of rebar in one of her tires a year or so ago and she heard a similar clicking sound. Shortly after her TPMS alerted her to a low pressure and sure enough there it was.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dgcomps

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Thank you to all. I've checked all the suggestions and so far no luck. If you think of anything, please let me know.

AntiBlue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
Did you recently get an oil change ? How does it sound during idle .Also Is the clicking bottom left or passenger side?

OP
OP
dgcomps

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I changed the oil in the beginning of the driving season with Mobil 1. Clicking sound has been there since I got the car, but it never really bothered me and I thought at first it was the blower motor making noise.

I then started to pay attention to it to try and tried to pin it down. Sounds like it's on the passenger side, but I'll take another Mustang "nut" with me to see what he thinks.

Please keep the ideas coming! Thanks.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I changed the oil in the beginning of the driving season with Mobil 1. Clicking sound has been there since I got the car, but it never really bothered me and I thought at first it was the blower motor making noise.

I then started to pay attention to it to try and tried to pin it down. Sounds like it's on the passenger side, but I'll take another Mustang "nut" with me to see what he thinks.

Please keep the ideas coming! Thanks.
Are you just hearing your DI pump? Thatā€™s on the passenger side and it does make a constant clicking noise when itā€™s running.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dgcomps

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Are you just hearing your DI pump? Thatā€™s on the passenger side and it does make a constant clicking noise when itā€™s running.
What's a DI pump?

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
What's a DI pump?
It's the Direct Injection pump but can't be in your car because you said it's not related to the speed of the engine, rather the speed of the car.

aaronmedick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aarpm
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang convertible
Did you figure this out? My Aunt's 2016 convertible just started making a clicking card in the spokes sound recently the only difference is the noise started at start up and stops at 30mph and over. It's speed dependent. the faster I go the faster the clicking. She bought new.

OP
OP
dgcomps

dgcomps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Good morning Aaron. The problem ended up being a bad driveshaft. After I was able to get the transmission replaced, the "clicking" was was about 80% resolved. I was able to get the driveshaft replaced and that totally solved the problem.

I dont know if the transmission took out the driveshave or vise versa, but the problem is definately solved. Good luck.

traumkommode

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
Good morning Aaron. The problem ended up being a bad driveshaft. After I was able to get the transmission replaced, the "clicking" was was about 80% resolved. I was able to get the driveshaft replaced and that totally solved the problem.

I dont know if the transmission took out the driveshave or vise versa, but the problem is definately solved. Good luck.
Hi there, is there anything else you can provide, maybe diagnostic notes or something? I've found a similar issue in the driveline vibration thread that's 250 pages long, even opened a case with Ford Corporate now because my dealer service center says they can't find anything wrong with the transmission or the driveshaft in my car, 2020 GT350. @FordService are you able to help me?
Sponsored