Sponsored

Clear bra my new Magnetic GT?

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So, my new mustang is a week old and I'm thinking of a clear bra for the first time with this beautiful car. I have all the concerns such as dirty edges, yellowing, color shift and longevity. I plan on keeping the car a long time and daily driving it when the weather is good. In the winter there is some sand on the roads from snow road maintenance, but I can't help driving when it's dry and sunny out. Have any of you had a metallic dark grey car before and had a clear bra? Does it make the panels/finish look different where the bra is versus where it isn't? I'd appreciate any insight on this. Seems like a kind of expensive thing to do, I just want to be happy afterwards. Thanks hopefully.
Sponsored

bytekrunch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Camry XSE
Find a SunTek dealer, they have a PPF film that doesn't fade or yellow, best I have seen. I have it on my current car without fail, its taken rocks, and all sorts of crap, no dirt edges, no yellow. I have full front bumper, hood, fenders, mirror backs, back full bumper, and a custom piece around the gas door, and the leading edge of the roof..... Best investment I ever made.... WAY cheaper than paint repair.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
^This.

Xpel for me. About the same coverage, and one week after taking delivery. Yes, it is absolutely invisible.

I know you just spent a lot on your car, and spending even more for PPF hurts, but if you are seriously consider doing this, now is the time!

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. So did you guys to full hood? Also why back bumper, I can't see rocks hitting that, or are you saying underside? Also wondering about the rocker panels, getting in and out I've already found that I have to pay attention and not scuff it white my shoes. So both of you have magnetic? I read a post on here dark colored cars aren't that great for clear bras, probably my biggest concern. Thanks again. So can you give me a ballpark on what to expect to spend.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
  1. So did you guys do full hood?
  2. Also why back bumper, I can't see rocks hitting that, or are you saying underside?
  3. Also wondering about the rocker panels, getting in and out I've already found that I have to pay attention and not scuff it with my shoes.
  4. So both of you have magnetic? I read a post on here dark colored cars aren't that great for clear bras, probably my biggest concern.
  5. So can you give me a ballpark on what to expect to spend?
Thanks again.
[MENTION=19360]Bartly[/MENTION]
  1. I didn't. I kind of wish I had, partly due to a stripes issue, partly because rocks can bounce off hood at a downward trajectory. I need to find out the cost difference first, bc I might still do it, now or eventually. My guy did full hood vents, instead of partial.
  2. I only did the "luggage area" for $50. It just covers the central top portion of the rear bumper to protect against dragging things across (by other people, of course!).
  3. I have a couple exact-fit strips waiting to install over the door sill inserts that say "Mustang". Worried about high heel scuffs (not mine).
  4. No, I have yellow (see my sig). Obviously I should have less risk of PPF yellowing over the years, haha. Yellow seems hard-pressed to show swirls, btw. Again, I have seen a Corvette at my PPF guy's shop in what is the same as MagMetallic. This stuff really is clear, so don't worry.
  5. My bill was under $1500. Don't forget to cover the cups behind the door handles. I also covered the door rear and lower edges. Protects the rear edge "point", and guards against scuffing an angled sidewalk on rare occasion.

Note that you can go to the xpel site, choose your Mustang, and then choose the pieces to cover your car. It will than add up the individual prices. IOW, you don't have to immediately contact a shop for a quote.

One more important piece of advice. Find The Guy that you believe is the most skilled at installing. IOW, just bc a body shop is an authorized installer doesn't mean they do high-end cars every day. The dedicated PPF shop will have more install experience. Get it?

This stuff is almost like being addicted to modding. You find yourself considering covering more and more areas, lol.

Sponsored

Sixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Xpel, Venture Shield, 3M, Avery are all good clear bras. Venture Shield is thin compared to the others but super strong and hard to puncture. I have not had Avery on my car yet but the shop I am going to when I get my car uses 3M or Avery. I had 3M on my Evo 9 and kept it on there for about 5 years before I gave the car to my younger sister. It never faded or yellowed. Still was clean and clear. The Evo I washed and waxed it regularly though. I had Xpel on my 12, had it on there for about 2 years before my accident and went to Venture Shield. The Xpel was hard to clean bug spots but I would go 1 to 3 months without a wash so it could explain why the bugs took more effort to clean. I liked the Venture Shield, it was thin and strong. Barely noticeable. I used Xpel on my 15 also. Only had it for a few months though.

Today's clear bra are made better, you won't get any fade unless you really do not wash your car for like a year or more. I think the longest I went without a wash was 5 or 6 months with the clear bra and it still came out clean after the wash.

1. You want full bumper, partial fenders, partial hood, hood vents, side mirrors, headlights, fogs, turn signals. They probably don't have anything for the fogs or turns though...
  2. Most people do a strip where the trunk meets the bumper. Most people put rest luggage down on their bumpers and what not...
  3. Rocker panels are a no go. They are textured and you wont get the bra to stick well along with air pockets...
  4. My Evo 9 was Electric Blue Pearl, I would say a little lighter than DIB, my 12 was Kona Blue and darker than DIB, no one would notice the bra unless they went up to it and really looked. Sure you see the bra line up close...but would you rather have a bra line or a big black bra on the front?
  5. It depends on where you go really. A specialty shop who deals with clear bra only will charge more than a shop who does clear bra, vinyl wrap, tint, etc. I spent $650 on my 12, partial hood, partial fenders, side mirrors, full front bumper, headlights.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Again thanks for the detailed reply. So I checked around locally. One place uses Suntech material, another uses VentureShield, LLumar and Xpel. Anyone have any experience with Suntech or LLumar material? Also, the Xpel place has both Ultimate or Xtreme, not sure if one makes more sense than the other. Thanks again for helping me.

Sixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
I think xtreme is the old film. The shops around me only carry the ultimate. Also I was backwards on my statement, Venture shield was hard to keep clean but was very thin. Xpel is a better film.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I believe Ziebart uses Llumar, though they are not supposed to admit it. Ziebart can cover your car cheaper, but the film is not as advanced. Ziebart will claim lifetime warranty, but be warned that this is not really nationwide.

I think Xpel and SunTech are supposed to be the best two choices these days. Supposedly they are "self healing" which means that the plastic literally flows slowly back to smooth and shiny. That alone is what makes them the top choices, and why they are more expensive.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I went to one of the places, they had Xpel, but really pushed LLumar. Both the guys there were old timers and been around for a while, though there installer was a young guy. They pointed out all the certificates the installer had from various tech training classes or whatever. He told me that there are only a couple of manufacturers of film, Eastman being one who makes LLumar. They said they wanted to go to the source and buy in bulk instead of buying one of the various brands. Anyway, LLumar is self healing, he said if I am shopping around to make sure and go with something that is self healing. Only thing I didn't like is that they wanted to keep the car overnight, you can guess how much I don't want to trust anyone with my new baby especially overnight. He said they needed so long as lots of disassembly is needed for a proper install, and they want to do a quality job so want it overnight. Thinking if I go with them, I want to tell them I will be logging the odometer and anything over 1/2 mile added and my install is free. Talking out my arse here, but really don't want my car hot rodded around by someone all night. Am I worrying too much about all of this? Reading on line, LLumar used to be a bad product, but from what I read, the newer stuff gets plenty of great reviews. Reading reviews drives me kind of crazy, it's like everyone states that the product they have is the best and that that's what everyone should use. Then the vendor reps on the various forums promote their product of course and help to generate a hype across the various boards. Anyway just rambling now.

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Keep shopping. When you find the guy whose only business is clear film, and who has his own film plotter/cutter, then you have arrived at the right place. It could be a 1-2 man operation. When you visit there, expect to see other high-end sports cars. Try to negotiate a small discount. Click the link in my sig line as an example of a good place.

If you are looking to save money, then places like Ziebart are still a good value. Even so, try find the location with the most experienced tech, and then speak to him in person over the phone to get a feel for his experience level.

My 2¢

Sixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Do not let them disassemble your car...it is not needed! The film is cut to fit onto the parts exactly right. They would break the tabs on the bumper if they were to remove that because not many cars have that anal 7mm screw that is hard to get to...

Pnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Ruby
does anyone have experience with hexis body fence? the place I'm ordering the rolls of tint for my tails/roof carry it.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Do not let them disassemble your car...it is not needed! The film is cut to fit onto the parts exactly right. They would break the tabs on the bumper if they were to remove that because not many cars have that anal 7mm screw that is hard to get to...

Thanks for chiming in on that. The thought of someone taking my new car apart has me cringing.
Sponsored