Sponsored

Cleaning undercarriage?

Aurum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Random question.

Do you guys ever clean your undercarriage or is it considered overkill?

If you do clean it, do you do it yourselves or have a detailer work it?
Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I use a pressure washer on mine, some drive-thru car washes have undercarriage washes built in. You should be fine just hitting it with a pressure washer, especially after driving around after the roads have been salted. There's really no need to detail, or scrub it.

vder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 Fox Body, 16 Mustang GT Vert, 22 Explorer ST
I have used Adam's under carriage cleaner. Works really well.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Whenever my car is on jack stands for some odd reason, I do a spray bottle and rag wash. I don't wash the hole thing, just do a reasonable job. Try to avoid getting any solvent cleaners on any bushings. I tend to spray the rag, not the area. Obviously the underside of the car is exposed to all kinds of crap, but... no point in not being careful.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I use a pressure washer with an extra long 90 degree nozzle.

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I disagree with any water up into the underside except in the wheel wells. Can it be that dirty unless you drive on a dusty road somewhere and then it's only going to be dust.

I can't see how any dirt can get anywhere except where the wheels are shooting it (ie. wheel wells).

I've seen people having issues with rusted nuts and bolts and no-start conditions from washing their engine bay with water.

Not for me. Maybe with a damp rag but that's it. I purposefully avoid undercarriage spray options on drive through car washes on my other car (hand wash only for the Mustang) ... just don't see the benefits and the risks outweigh any, if there are.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
You live in Canada and can't think of anyway that road dirt and salt can't find its way into every under body nook and cranny? By the way, I live in Minnesota and know what I am talking about.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I disagree with any water up into the underside except in the wheel wells. Can it be that dirty unless you drive on a dusty road somewhere and then it's only going to be dust.

I can't see how any dirt can get anywhere except where the wheels are shooting it (ie. wheel wells).

I've seen people having issues with rusted nuts and bolts and no-start conditions from washing their engine bay with water.

Not for me. Maybe with a damp rag but that's it. I purposefully avoid undercarriage spray options on drive through car washes on my other car (hand wash only for the Mustang) ... just don't see the benefits and the risks outweigh any, if there are.

lmao wut

I mean is this for real? You can't see how dirt would get anywhere but the wheel wells? Um.. science?

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
lmao wut

I mean is this for real? You can't see how dirt would get anywhere but the wheel wells? Um.. science?
Explain it to me then smartass. As far as I can see, as you're driving down the road any minimal dirt that does get past the wheel wells will be blown under and out the back of the car by the under car air stream. And with wind tunnel testing & fuel economy stds that air stream is less and less turbulent than it once was so it'll be smooth right through .

It certainly won't get UP INTO the undercarriage where some are talking of spraying.

I'm all for being proven wrong though so go ahead and explain to me how dirt gets UP into the undercarriage ...

Maybe our definition of undercarriage is not the same. I'm thinking up into the guts of the car where exhaust piping, suspension, and sensors are. Like when you're lying under the middle of the car changing out your catback exhaust.

Are you thinking the rocker panels only maybe? I'll agree those get dirty.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Whoa, slow down there on the emotionally childish name calling shit.

I'll just use a photo:

-means-your-safety-shot-of-a-two-professional-mechanics-checking-the-car-undercarriage-452825608.jpg

There, he's pointing at all the fucking dirt you think can't get to the obviously open undercarriage of a vehicle driving inches off of dirty pavement through rain and slush. Yes, vehicles with belly pans still take in air (and therefore dirt, water, etc) through the grilles!

In fact, on this very forum you can find Shelby GT350 owners talking about rocks and grit collecting in those very aerodynamic aids. Wonder how it got there, I mean it isn't the wheel well...

If you require further explanation please see a 6th grade physical science teacher, or you know just clean your attitude up because acting shit while being called out for posting stupidity isn't pretty.

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yup...looks like dirt to me...Im more worried if that perfect haircut got any of that dirt in it...that guys WAY dewed up.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
PatrickGT - first of all, my "childish" response was to yours "lmao wut. Is this for real" childish response.

Anyway, I literally just looked under my daily driver Chevy that's been through 2.5 years of duty ... through rain and slush and snow and it's NO WHERE near that photo of some guy that for all we know went 4x4'ing in his truck.

Regardless, I'll continue to not spray into the underside middle of my car. Do as you wish as well.

And yes the dude with the coiffe has more gel in his hair than my undercarriage has dirt. :D

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
PatrickGT - first of all, my "childish" response was to yours "lmao wut. Is this for real" childish response.
No one called you a name, and never let another mans actions dictate yours... at least don't admit it, that's embarrassing.

At any rate, now you know. For future reference it also helps to understand that your very narrow use case and personal vehicles aren't a proper sample size to gather any real data from. Then again, it's just Physics. ;)
Sponsored