Clean and Tidy Up Black Wheels

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
Hi all, I have a 2019 GT and the previous owner scraped the black wheels so there is shiny bare metal showing. Two questions:

1. What is the easiest way to cover this up? Can I file it and paint it ? I don't want to take it into a shop and have it professionally done.

2. How do you guys clean the wheels when you wash your car? I notice there's a lot of like grey dust that seems to get stuck to them and is very hard to get off.
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Hi all, I have a 2019 GT and the previous owner scraped the black wheels so there is shiny bare metal showing. Two questions:

1. What is the easiest way to cover this up? Can I file it and paint it ? I don't want to take it into a shop and have it professionally done.

2. How do you guys clean the wheels when you wash your car? I notice there's a lot of like grey dust that seems to get stuck to them and is very hard to get off.
I can't help with the repair of the rims. You could try something like RimSkins to cover up the damage. You may also have a look for a mobile guy who could come and fix the wheels on site.

For cleaning, those wheels certainly require patience. I authored this thread a few years ago on the PP1 wheels -

PP1 Wheel Cleaning Guide | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

In that case, I was using normal car wash shampoo, which all you need on well-maintained wheels. If you need to do some deeper cleaning, have a look at Koch Chemie Magic Wheel Cleaner, P&S Brake Buster, NV Purge or Carpro IronX.

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT

Sponsored

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
says it is unavailable on amazon right now, only found a big jug on ebay, I have not used it on my Mustang wheels yet, but I use this for white rims on my GSX-R and used it on my WRX black chrome wheels.. it is amazing, I love it. If you can find it, I would try it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LAXG9C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Well if you really want too. :giggle: :like:

https://www.carpro-us.com/wheels-tr...2HzM_W8sUyAL4vjwCMD6v9od-NfX6EqxoCVgYQAvD_BwE

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
Try using black enamel nail polish on those small silver nicks. Cheap and durable available at a drug store near you.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Buy another wheel. They're readily available, lots of people have them sitting around.

Those wheels are powder-coated, not painted. If you try to have the damaged area(s) painted, the paint eventually peels off.
Sponsored