Sponsored

Class Action Lawsuit for known A/C Evaporator failures on 2015 and 16 models

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
There’s so many A/C threads on this site it’s hard to know which ones users are coming across.

So I’m posting these (2) TSB’s here for future reference. I’ve already put them in the huge EVAP thread in the Issues/TSB sub-forum sticky.

Notes:
1) TSB 18-2006 only applies to the 2017 S550.

2) TSB 18-2256 is for all 2015-2017 S550’s and supersedes prior TSB 18-2166.

3) If your S550 is still under the 3/36 OR you have an extended ESP on it, any TSB should be covered under those warranty provisions.

4) If the car is out of warranty, call the Ford 800# and ask if Ford will help compensate for the repair cost since there are active TSB’s regarding A/C failures on the S550. Some M6G members have reported in that other massive thread that Ford has helped to reduce some of the repair costs when out of warranty.
Sponsored

Attachments

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
My leftover 2016 GT's evap went out this spring around 36k miles and 2.5 years.,

I have the Ford ESP so I paid a $200 deductible to get replaced. 2 day job removing dash. I mentioned the TSBs but no offers of waiving the deductible.

Should not fail at this age or miles. My son has a 2006 Scion with 205k miles ac still works....

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
My father's 2017 V6 went out at 14k miles. He sold the car with it still out. Wasn't playing that game.

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I have never understood why the EPA doesn’t pounce on them. Knowingly selling something that dumps its contents into the atmosphere. I mean it’s no different than me going and buying cans of refrigerant just so I can spray them at the sky.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Guess I should have joined this forum before unloading the 03 Cobra for the 16 GT. At least the AC on the old beast never quit. This is messed up. Ford had a problem with evaporator leaks on Fox bodies 30 years ago. Mine included. They make stupid mistakes, but the same one twice????

Thanks to those of you who posted TSBs.

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I have never understood why the EPA doesn’t pounce on them. Knowingly selling something that dumps its contents into the atmosphere. I mean it’s no different than me going and buying cans of refrigerant just so I can spray them at the sky.
Go ahead...it's only the old stuff that is bad. lol
And please don't ask the EPA for more help...

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
And please don't ask the EPA for more help...
Man, that about says it all!!!!!

Off topic, I see you have the same wishbone spoke wheels I do. Are those GT/CS-specific wheels?

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
As a loyal Mustang owner, I have tolerated manufacturing short comings for a long time. Thru the years as Ford has produced each generation there were inherent problems with each series, the problems mainly easy to fix or tolerate.

My gripe is with the 2015 and 2016 Mustangs. Ford knows there is a manufacturer defect in the A/C Evaporator behind the dash, and if your like many owners, our Mustangs are weekend warriors. That being said, it take quite a while to clock real mileage on the odometer. So at four years old and 18,000, my A/C system went out. The repair estimate is upwards of $3,000.00. Being out of warranty, I have no other recourse but to get it fixed at my expense. Now I am able to make
the repairs myself at around a $1,000.00 in parts, but I shouldn't need to with only 18,000 miles.

I am curious how many other owners have faced this issue, whether under warranty or out of pocket.

I completely understand if it were a performance part damaged from aduse, but were are looking at life of the vehicle parts failure, that can get pretty expensive to repair.

Based on the feedback, it will be the basis to contact Ford to try and get a resolution to the issue. If Ford won't help, then I am willing to go thru the due diligence and push the issue. As loyal Ford customers we should not have to pay the price for a manufacturing defect.

Your support might get this fixed, because if you haven't experienced the problem yet, wait for the bill when you are out of warranty. 18,000 miles really.
20190629_164538.jpg
So you had a warranty, and the compressor satisfied the warranty
,you had the option to purchase an extended warranty and you chose not to, you could have upgraded your warranty at any point in time but chose not to... so you took on the risks... Now when the parts fail out of warranty your response is to sue ford vs be a man about it and accept the consequences of your decision. And fix your car.

Ford should be obligated to bemd over backwards and fix your car for free 4 years later after the warranty has expired...

Don't worry though thanks to owners like you there will no longer be Mustangs. Enjoy your 3k...

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Yes Avispa, the 16 and 17 CS came with those black and aluminum wheels.

pmr2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback, 1975 Corvette Coupe
So you had a warranty, and the compressor satisfied the warranty
,you had the option to purchase an extended warranty and you chose not to, you could have upgraded your warranty at any point in time but chose not to... so you took on the risks... Now when the parts fail out of warranty your response is to sue ford vs be a man about it and accept the consequences of your decision. And fix your car.

Ford should be obligated to bemd over backwards and fix your car for free 4 years later after the warranty has expired...

Don't worry though thanks to owners like you there will no longer be Mustangs. Enjoy your 3k...
When there are TSB's for expensive components/labor I am with the original post. Any manufacturer is going to lose future sales by providing that customer experience.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
When there are TSB's for expensive components/labor I am with the original post. Any manufacturer is going to lose future sales by providing that customer experience.
So I can buy a gt350. Let it sit in a garage for 10 years then fire it up and if the belts dryrot and snap grenading the motor i can sue ford...

Ford honored their end of the deal. He had every opportunity to extend his warranty he chose not to... So tell me again how ford is wrong in this?

Ford should maintain your cars and give you free parts forever to keep your business...

I really hope the judges response is "Bye, Felicia"...

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
If you wanted a car with a lifetime warranty you should have bought a Toyota Corolla. U didn't, parts break, so man up and pick up a wrench.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
This is one of those cases where both sides are right. No Ford doesn't "have" to do anything for repairs after the written warranty period is up. Is "is" up to the owner to determine if they should buy an extended warranty. I did on my 15'EB and the evaporator was a key reason for doing so.
That said, what is the price of consumer satisfaction? What does it really cost Ford to make an exception, within reason, and fix a car that had a known issue? I worked for a major manufacturer for 24 years and I can tell you the answer is "ZERO". The dollars and cents expense get hidden deep within the P&L so no one will ever see it. On the other hand the good will fostered by by such an action is priceless.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
This is one of those cases where both sides are right. No Ford doesn't "have" to do anything for repairs after the written warranty period is up. Is "is" up to the owner to determine if they should buy an extended warranty. I did on my 15'EB and the evaporator was a key reason for doing so.
That said, what is the price of consumer satisfaction? What does it really cost Ford to make an exception, within reason, and fix a car that had a known issue? I worked for a major manufacturer for 24 years and I can tell you the answer is "ZERO". The dollars and cents expense get hidden deep within the P&L so no one will ever see it. On the other hand the good will fostered by by such an action is priceless.
The customer is not always right. And customer service doesnt mean you get free parts because you chose to cheap out... At any time you could have extended the warranty.

I paid 3000.00 for my extended warranty. Because I did the cost benefit math and the 3000 up front would get eaten by one AC repair bill, or replacing the engine. I knew I was going to keep the car so I paid up front.

Everyone has that same opportunity. If you choose to "save money" then you're assuming all the risks. So when stuff breaks later you fix it. Trust me I get it it sucks. These cars are bitches to fix, but that's the price you pay to party.

He mentioned calling ford... Calling ford for what. If you sold your house and 4 years later the new owners ask you to replace the AC what would you tell them?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The customer is not always right. And customer service doesnt mean you get free parts because you chose to cheap out... At any time you could have extended the warranty.

I paid 3000.00 for my extended warranty. Because I did the cost benefit math and the 3000 up front would get eaten by one AC repair bill, or replacing the engine. I knew I was going to keep the car so I paid up front.

Everyone has that same opportunity. If you choose to "save money" then you're assuming all the risks. So when stuff breaks later you fix it. Trust me I get it it sucks. These cars are bitches to fix, but that's the price you pay to party.

He mentioned calling ford... Calling ford for what. If you sold your house and 4 years later the new owners ask you to replace the AC what would you tell them?
Well we must have grown up in different eras. I was in sales and sales related jobs for over 50 years. This was given to me by one of my salespeople probably 20+ years ago. It's still true today!
Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 1.28.57 PM.png
Sponsored