Not open for further replies.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
"Judgement" can be a vague word, used in different ways with different meanings. When the Bible says we should judge wisely, it means we should use good judgement, make wise choices, do the right thing. When the Bible says not to judge, it means it's not our place to decide who goes to heaven and who goes to hell, that judgement is up to God (the ultimate judge on the great white throne), not us. So there's no contradiction in the way the Bible tells us to judge, and not to judge.
Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Very true. I think some people consider opinion with judgement. Do I think it's wrong to do X/Y? That's my opinion. Do I think the Bible (Or some other text) says X/Y is wrong? I would also say that is an opinion. Saying "This is wrong" would be judging, but I would argue the Bible says not to do that (The men wanting to stone the prostitute, Jesus not judging people on the cross "Father forgive them for they know not what they do"). On the other hand, I think we are supposed to judge other Christians. Just like Jesus did on the moneychangers and like Paul did when he wrote the Corinthians. I personally love the olde English in the KJV, but perhaps the NLT translation is easier to read (1 Corinthians 5:12-13):

(12)It isn’t my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning. (13) God will judge those on the outside; but as the Scriptures say, “You must remove the evil person from among you.
I will admit, I am more than willing to express my beliefs, and give people my opinion when asked. And I will go as far as saying "I think this is a sin because the Bible states...". I don't see anything hypocritical about it though. Although I would disagree with someone telling me that they think I am wrong because Zeus said that something I'm doing is a sin, I would respect their opinion. I think people get upset just at someone expressing their opinion. Tolerance works both ways if you ask me.

But in keeping in line with this thread, and as I confessed earlier, sure I have judged before. Even with restraint, I am (We Christians are) passionate about our beliefs and of course sometimes our feelings gets the best of us (But I think that applies to all belief-centric-groups, whether it be Buddhists, Environmentalists, Car Enthusiasts and so on).

Forgive me for this, but since we are presumably all car guys, I had to think of this...

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
"Judgement" can be a vague word, used in different ways with different meanings. When the Bible says we should judge wisely, it means we should use good judgement, make wise choices, do the right thing. When the Bible says not to judge, it means it's not our place to decide who goes to heaven and who goes to hell, that judgement is up to God (the ultimate judge on the great white throne), not us. So there's no contradiction in the way the Bible tells us to judge, and not to judge.
Sorry, but I do not read the chapter being discussed that way. No where does it speak about going to Heaven or hell. On the contrary, it is speaking about judging in context of God's law on a daily basis and for petty purposes. It goes on to say that it is not up to us to judge our neighbor in these terms. So, again, I see that as a matter of interpretation, which there is no lack of.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with Christianity has always been Christians, my self included. We can only pray to become more Christ like but it is impossible to become Christ like as long as we are on this earth! Jesus took 10 commandments and simplified them into two, unfortunately we still struggle to follow just two. With that said I would like to say a prayer for us. Please Jesus help us become more like you, let us pray for everyone that knows they need you and even more so for those who think they don't. In your name we pray, Amen!

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I was stunned when Christian pastors all over America started lining up in support behind Trump back in 2016. I mean I get it, 8 years of Obama nearly wore all of us conservatives out, those 8 years we were constantly losing battles to the left which caused a lot of angst. Now, after 3 solid years of daily immoral and abusive behavior out of their "chosen one", Trump is finally starting to lose grip on the leaders of American Christianity. I say what the hell took so long! Why, not being a Christian myself, but being a long time Republican conservative, was I able to be immune from the wish to get some political wins and some conservative judges to stop abortion and other immoral things in America while excusing all the other bad behaviors? In 2016, I didn't think what we'd get from Trump (any R would have appointed those judges actually) was worth selling your soul for. Now that a lot of Christians have done just that, for some political wins, was it worth it to them? I sure hope so because as a voting block, Christians sure did hurt the perception of Christianity around the world by making such a sad and fleeting choice. I'm heartened to see a tipping point happening now, a fresh look at who this con man really is, and his behavior and actions are finally catching up to him! I'm not saying the left is any better, they aren't in my opinion but at least they don't co-opt any religions to help them do their dirty deeds. Now you can instantly disregard this message if you'd like, I know a lot of Christians aren't really much into freedom of choice or getting news from any source that is not Fox News, so you can deny my message because its a news clip from a rival cable news source, but after watching a few this morning, I came to the conclusion that this one was the one that was the most concise and accurate at reporting what Graham said thru his magazine and the media. So I leave information for you, if you are willing to not judge the messenger (even though we know Christians are generally pretty horrible at the commandment "judge not, lest thee be.") which is a direct biblical quote from the only person who should be their lord and master, Jesus Christ. If your lord and master is the almighty dollar, a politician or anything else, well then I don't expect you to like this message at all and I'm sure I'll get some pretty judgemental and hateful comments here just pointing that fact out.
I wish more Christian Conservatives spoke up in the way you have. It would be a lot less grueling place for us all to live. I’m an atheist and a liberal. But i respect where you are coming from and your values even if I don’t agree with many of them.

Sponsored

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I’ve read many very thoughtful remarks in this thread. Far better than I was expecting to be honest.

I’m a liberal and an atheist. But my point of view does descend quite a lot from Jesus. The whole judge not, love thy neighbor, do unto others.. etc. these are very good tenets to live your life by.

for me liberalism can be boiled down to one thing. Your freedom to swing your fist ends where my face begins.

I appreciate people’s faith. Especially if it propels them to do good things. What I wish though is for religion to stay out of politics.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, it’s a good thing that Christians don’t practice everything that’s preached in the bible.
The world would be a much worse place if they did.
I say that respectfully but with some provocation for critical thought.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I was stunned when Christian pastors all over America started lining up in support behind Trump back in 2016. I mean I get it, 8 years of Obama nearly wore all of us conservatives out, those 8 years we were constantly losing battles to the left which caused a lot of angst. Now, after 3 solid years of daily immoral and abusive behavior out of their "chosen one", Trump is finally starting to lose grip on the leaders of American Christianity. I say what the hell took so long! Why, not being a Christian myself, but being a long time Republican conservative, was I able to be immune from the wish to get some political wins and some conservative judges to stop abortion and other immoral things in America while excusing all the other bad behaviors? In 2016, I didn't think what we'd get from Trump (any R would have appointed those judges actually) was worth selling your soul for. Now that a lot of Christians have done just that, for some political wins, was it worth it to them? I sure hope so because as a voting block, Christians sure did hurt the perception of Christianity around the world by making such a sad and fleeting choice. I'm heartened to see a tipping point happening now, a fresh look at who this con man really is, and his behavior and actions are finally catching up to him! I'm not saying the left is any better, they aren't in my opinion but at least they don't co-opt any religions to help them do their dirty deeds. Now you can instantly disregard this message if you'd like, I know a lot of Christians aren't really much into freedom of choice or getting news from any source that is not Fox News, so you can deny my message because its a news clip from a rival cable news source, but after watching a few this morning, I came to the conclusion that this one was the one that was the most concise and accurate at reporting what Graham said thru his magazine and the media. So I leave information for you, if you are willing to not judge the messenger (even though we know Christians are generally pretty horrible at the commandment "judge not, lest thee be.") which is a direct biblical quote from the only person who should be their lord and master, Jesus Christ. If your lord and master is the almighty dollar, a politician or anything else, well then I don't expect you to like this message at all and I'm sure I'll get some pretty judgemental and hateful comments here just pointing that fact out.
Because abortion.

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
I don't care what the world says about Trump. It would be really idiotic for a US president to set what other countries think as a high priority or let opinions set his policy.

Priorities are the American people and following through on his campaign promises.

Trump is doing great!

I agree.

As far as religion goes with me, I'm an ex-mormon.

I don't miss the "do as I say, not as I do", "give us your time and money" mentalitys and other forms of control.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Happy Easter, everyone. Remember, your church building may be empty at Easter sunrise this year, but so was the tomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.