Chirp/cricket noise at warm idle.

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
Does anyone else have this? It seems to come and go and i can hear it at stop lights with the window down. It only does it when warm and at idle.

I found the following TSB:

FORD TSB ARTICLE # 19-2140
Issue

Some 2018-2019 F-150 and Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine built on or before 30-Apr-2019 may exhibit a chirping type noise from the upper engine front cover area at warm or hot idle. This noise may sound similar to a front engine accessory drive (FEAD) chirp noise. This may be due to the primary timing chain tensioner oil pressure relief valve. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure steps to replace the primary timing chain tensioners.
It seems to describe exactly what i'm hearing. My build date is 6/18/18 - so it definitely falls into that range. It does not have any negative effects outside of the annoyance of the sound, and I am not excited to have someone tear my engine apart just to fix this issue, but it all comes down to the technician doing the job.

I will get a video of the sound later today and post it in this thread. Has anyone else had this issue or had it repaired?
Sponsored

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Does anyone else have this? It seems to come and go and i can hear it at stop lights with the window down. It only does it when warm and at idle.

I found the following TSB:

It seems to describe exactly what i'm hearing. My build date is 6/18/18 - so it definitely falls into that range. It does not have any negative effects outside of the annoyance of the sound, and I am not excited to have someone tear my engine apart just to fix this issue, but it all comes down to the technician doing the job.

I will get a video of the sound later today and post it in this thread. Has anyone else had this issue or had it repaired?
Yeah I had it. Like as TSB indicates, once you change out your timing chain tensioners the noise will go away. I didnt want ford to touch my car so I did it myself. I also used MMR's tensioners.

OP
OP
W.O.T. Stang

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Here is the noise i am hearing. Can you confirm it was similar to the sound you had?

I am almost wondering if it's from the PCV valve/JLT catch can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W.O.T. Stang

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Also it seems like the actual TSB sound may be much more pronounced. I found this video on Youtube and it seems to follow much more what the TSB may be covering. I definitely do not have this sound at all.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I didnt want ford to touch my car so I did it myself.
Hey, can you post how elaborate it was to do that? One tensioner is external, but the other is internal, I think. Curious what you had to remove to get to each, especially the internal one. Thanks man.

Sponsored

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
Timing chain tensioner’s, you need them replaced with the updated style

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
My engine and car were built just 2 weeks before this was found out. Ugh. I do not want them to tear apart my engine like this. I don't want the techs touching it. After my intake replacement job was half assed.

OP
OP
W.O.T. Stang

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to update this thread. The noise in my original video i posted was not the timing chain tensioner noise (its entirely different sounding.) This one was from the high pressure fuel pump. It's not causing any issues, but if it ever has to go back to the dealer for warranty work, i will mention it.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here’s the complete TSB, also note it could be a VCT making noise too if it’s not the FEAD.

Attached is the VCT issues docs,; don’t get hung up on the codes or years in the docs, VCT’s make noises when they are hanging up or not operating properly.
Sponsored

Attachments