• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Vickstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Ed Krenz, chief engineer of the S650 Mustang was interviewed on the Mecum On the Move podcast where he talked a little about S650 development, including the 4th gen V8 Coyote 5.0, EcoBoost and the Dark Horse model.

Link to podcast: https://soundcloud.com/onthemovewithmecum

Some highlights:
  • Engineers didn't modify any parts that were "tried and true and fit for purpose" -- such as the engine block
  • Engineers focused on upgrading upper-end components, such as airflow and twin 80mm throttle bodies, which are “ducting air symmetrically from both of the nostrils. Which is unique to the GT upper grille.” Such improvements improved the engine’s performance but also the S650's fuel efficiency.
  • Dark Horse was introduced to represent a new performance variant of the Mustang, rather than repeating a nameplate that already existed.
  • The "Dark Horse" name was aptly named because it's an unexpected model that nobody saw coming... and that would not only compete, but something that would “compete to win.” says Krenz.
  • Dark Horse model's extra power comes from parts borrowed from other performance models like the Shelby GT500 -- like the connecting rods which allowed engineers to "push the cylinder pressures that much more" for the Dark Horse.
    Dark Horse also uses the GT350 and Mach 1 Tremec 6 speed manual transmission.
  • Drift brake feature was developed with the help and input of Vaughn Gittin Jr.
Sponsored

Mustang406

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Ed Krenz, chief engineer of the S650 Mustang was interviewed on the Mecum On the Move podcast where he talked a little about S650 development, including the 4th gen V8 Coyote 5.0, EcoBoost and the Dark Horse model.

Some highlights:
  • Engineers didn't modify any parts that were "tried and true and fit for purpose" -- such as the engine block
  • Engineers focused on upgrading upper-end components, such as airflow and twin 80mm throttle bodies, which are “ducting air symmetrically from both of the nostrils. Which is unique to the GT upper grille.” Such improvements improved the engine’s performance but also the S650's fuel efficiency.
  • Dark Horse was introduced to represent a new performance variant of the Mustang, rather than repeating a nameplate that already existed.
  • The "Dark Horse" name was aptly named because it's an unexpected model that nobody saw coming... and that would not only compete, but something that would “compete to win.” says Krenz.
  • Dark Horse model's extra power comes from parts borrowed from other performance models like the Shelby GT500 -- like the connecting rods which allowed engineers to "push the cylinder pressures that much more" for the Dark Horse.
  • Drift brake feature was developed with the help and input of Vaughn Gittin Jr.
Until they release final horsepower specs and weight I'm skeptical about upgrading.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Watch the dark horse be 525hp to not be in front of the GT350. Maybe 460lb-ft to be an upgrade
I seriously doubt they would limit a HP number just to keep it under a previous generations HP figure.

They might limit it to ensure longevity of the powertrain over a broader range of owners though.

They would also limit it if a future Shelby model was not expected to have that big an increase. Example, if they were planning to release a new GT350 and targeted that vehicle to have 540 hp, I could see them keeping the Dark horse down in the 500-515 range. If they were targeting 625 hp, I could easily see them allowing a "Dark Horse" variant to be in the 530-550.

That said, they are "targeting 500...so expect anywhere between 490 and 510 or so.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT
I seriously doubt they would limit a HP number just to keep it under a previous generations HP figure.

They might limit it to ensure longevity of the powertrain over a broader range of owners though.

They would also limit it if a future Shelby model was not expected to have that big an increase. Example, if they were planning to release a new GT350 and targeted that vehicle to have 540 hp, I could see them keeping the Dark horse down in the 500-515 range. If they were targeting 625 hp, I could easily see them allowing a "Dark Horse" variant to be in the 530-550.

That said, they are "targeting 500...so expect anywhere between 490 and 510 or so.
If a DH is only 10 more than a GT with its 480 then really all it will be is a Track package.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT

Some highlights:
Like I said.... sounds like a 13yo EdgeLord named it. The reason no one saw DH coming was because all its specs were expected to be in the GT based on rumors. It wasn't that they hid it, they just hid that it wasn't the GT that the info that was leaking was about.

As an internal Project name DH is fine, but as a nameplate, it utterly blows.

Mach1 makes you think Speed
Boss makes you think taking charge, the top dog
Bullitt at least makes you think "cool 60's muscle doing cool 60's stuff"
Dark Horse makes you think there is a horse trying to hide in the shadows in a massive horse sized trenchcoat waiting to try and sneak up on you.

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of camaros? The Dark Horse Knows!

Last edited:

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Watch the dark horse be 525hp to not be in front of the GT350. Maybe 460lb-ft to be an upgrade
Yes and no i don’t see them not trying to get pasted the gt350 but without other modifications, it really really hard to say what the same horse will make we don’t even know the cam specs. Heck it could make 550hp nobody knows and even if its 520hp and makes 450-470tq, that’ll make it one heck of an engine

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue Mach 1
Like I said.... sounds like a 13yo EdgeLord named it. The reason no one saw DH coming was because all its specs were expected to be in the GT based on rumors. It wasn't that they hid it, they just hid that it wasn't the GT that the info that was leaking was about.

Dark Horse makes you think there is a horse trying to hide in the shadows in a massive horse sized trenchcoat waiting to try and sneak up on you.

Dark Horse reminds me of a bad bet at Belmont.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2020 GT350

It sounds like what a kid would name his gamer tag, “Extreme Dark Shadow.”

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10

Some highlights:
OOooOOooOoOoOOOooo... My E85 drum says tell me more!

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Keeping the 5.0 displacement, you will see more HP increase than torque increase.
The twin inlet is wild, I didn't see that coming.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP2 Kona Blue 2015 Focus Titanium
No mention of suspension upgrades 😒

I feel the name is so nontraditional, that it comes off as forced. 60 years of Mustang and they couldn't attach a heritage nameplate to satisfy enthusiasts?? I feel it was deliberate because they either have a more special model in the wings or they are seriously trying to move the Mustang nameplate away from its heritage and into EV. Either way, the front looks too much like a Silverado HD and I can't unsee it.

93-Oct Mayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Not a comment on the car, but chief engineer is a terrible presenter. He legit looked like he didn't have anything to say at the launch event, the speaker had to continuously prompt him

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Not a comment on the car, but chief engineer is a terrible presenter. He legit looked like he didn't have anything to say at the launch event, the speaker had to continuously prompt him
The main host was the only one that had any decent presentation skills. I'm sorry to say, but the rest of the presenters/commenters were pure cringe. I had to watch on mute.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Well he is an engineer....not a professional public speaker:wink:
Sponsored