5 O UFO

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
Thought I was going to get a chance to go up against a Chevy SS sedan earlier today, but there was way too much traffic.

It sounded like he had an exhaust upgrade, but then again I do too.

Stock vs Stock, who would have won this?
Sponsored

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Stock vs Stock would be a drivers race. If you go by magazine times both are posting 12.9's-13.0's. Real world times will be slightly different.

Both are great cars and easy to mod, be careful with a tuned SS, some may have an LSA lid underneath... a few out there in the 10's with that mod.

Definitely a sleeper 4 door sedan.

Shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
I've had my fair share of seat time in an SS. In my personal opinion the speeds of the race would matter a lot. I think the SS is slightly slower at lower speeds. When the SS hits 70 it pulls like a freight train.

If you are racing from a dig to lifting at 75, I think the Stang takes it by a car length..
If you roll race to 100 the SS takes it by a car length..

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
4000 lb car with a detuned ls3 engine. I had a 2012 ls3 camaro and from the dig the stang is faster. I m guessing ss sedan is even slower than my old camaro due to more weight and less power. So there should be no competition here!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Thought I was going to get a chance to go up against a Chevy SS sedan earlier today, but there was way too much traffic.

It sounded like he had an exhaust upgrade, but then again I do too.

Stock vs Stock, who would have won this?
I dunno man, the stock SS exhaust is pretty much perfect in tone, crackles, and loudness. You may have just heard the stock one.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
4000 lb car with a detuned ls3 engine. I had a 2012 ls3 camaro and from the dig the stang is faster. I m guessing ss sedan is even slower than my old camaro due to more weight and less power. So there should be no competition here!
Closer than you think, especially with the manual.

"For 2015, the SS offers a six-speed manual transmission, allowing it to pick up where the dearly departed V-8-powered G8 GXP left off.

The manual not only improves the driving experience but also helps performance...which decreased to 12.9 seconds at a slightly faster trap speed of 110.8 mph."

justindo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium
The exhaust was most likely stock, as the SS sedan has one of the best sounding stock ones out there. It's not so loud that it's intrusive, but it's pretty deep and pops and crackles nicely.

Also, I think the SS sedan is actually a tad quicker than the 2015 Camaro SS.

Based on the car magazine numbers, my 2015 SS sedan auto, and two brief test drives in a 2015 GT auto with 3.55s and 20" summer tires and a 2015 GT Performance Package, it's really a drivers race, transmission to transmission. If it's auto versus manual, the auto will probably win regardless of which car has it. The LS3 feels like it has more grunt down low, but there is the 100+ lb. weight advantage of the Mustang, so off the line would be close. If you're running all-season rubber, the standard staggered 245/275 summer tires on forged wheels on the SS sedan will be a factor too. The LS3 also responds well to modifications (e.g., a CAI and a very safe tune will net 40 hp and ft. lbs. at the wheels on the SS sedan).

Last edited:

Sponsored

DAGO GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAPTOR, 2015 GT PP
The SS runs really good. I believe the curb weight is just under 4000lbs, with 415hp and 415tq it should not be as close to the Mustang as it is in my opinion. Can some one explain why these cars are so close?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Saw one on the road yesterday. It had wider aftermarket rear tires on it. He didn't want any for some reason.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
The SS runs really good. I believe the curb weight is just under 4000lbs, with 415hp and 415tq it should not be as close to the Mustang as it is in my opinion. Can some one explain why these cars are so close?
I would like to know why either. My old ls3 camaro was around 3890 lbs with 426 hp and 420 lb ft torque. If ss sedan is a little below 4000 lbs and has 415 hp and 415 lbft, then i don't even see that car being faster than the camaro. I wonder if the gearing on the ss is really aggressive. My current mustang feels faster than my ls3 camaro for sure, especially with the 3.73 gears.

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
They are a pretty quick car from the factory - the Australian testers rate them at 5.0 0-62mph in manual form and I think the auto is a tenth or so quicker.

It would come down to the driver, but I'd expect the Mustang to be marginally faster.
Sponsored