Chemistry question related to UV and suction cup mount

GT5.0Fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Wondering if there are any geniuses here who know why discoloration takes place here turning this from clear white to a golden/brownish/yellowish color on just one side when placed under direct sunlight.. Key point to note as well is that there are two sides to this and only one side had changed color. Both sides have/consist of a sticky nano glue/tape like substance. One side for suction cup mount and other to object like windshield. The side with discoloration taking place is inner side side where suction cup mount is mounted. Inside house with no sun no discoloration takes place but when placed under sun you can see what happens. Why does this happen and how can this be prevented? Why just one side and not the other? Inside an office or home it never changes color

ADE8F780-646F-4BB1-B789-C602D4E02702.jpeg
55863E88-A004-461E-83EF-0CECBEE3150A.jpeg
7E6219F7-3BEB-4FDD-A5C0-3DB5E54D2AEE.jpeg
C7A4A167-00BF-4981-BF59-2BBD43C329C8.jpeg
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
The issue is that of radiation absorption. The hydrocarbons in the discolored material are absorbing a specific radiation wavelength that when absorbed the energy is converted to thermal heat. Over time, these specific hydrocarbon chains do not hold up well and begin to break down. In essence a chemical reaction occurs in which the original compound of hydrocarbons have changed. The discoloration represents the resulting compound...
407C8E5A-9BB7-4501-9FBA-260B4E02A4C0.jpeg

OP
OP

GT5.0Fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
BMW
The issue is that of radiation absorption. The hydrocarbons in the discolored material are absorbing a specific radiation wavelength that when absorbed the energy is converted to thermal heat. Over time, these specific hydrocarbon chains do not hold up well and begin to break down. In essence a chemical reaction occurs in which the original compound of hydrocarbons have changed. The discoloration represents the resulting compound...
407C8E5A-9BB7-4501-9FBA-260B4E02A4C0.jpeg
Many thanks for kind reply. How can this be resolved? There are similar suction cup pad mounts that don't have this issue. Is there an additive that is added during manufacturing process to prevent this? If so, what..?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Many thanks for kind reply. How can this be resolved? There are similar suction cup pad mounts that don't have this issue. Is there an additive that is added during manufacturing process to prevent this? If so, what..?
I have heard about a product called AIR-80 film that is reported as being a protective window film that can be installed on the windows that are needing reduced UV radiation. The protective material is supposedly a nonconductive ceramic that allows about 80% (hence the “80”) of visible light to pass through while blocking over 95% of the unwanted UV radiation. However, I cannot attest to the products personally.
https://www.tnttinting.com/image/new-legal-clear-heat-blocking-front-windshield-film

OP
OP

GT5.0Fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
BMW
I have heard about a product called AIR-80 film that is reported as being a protective window film that can be installed on the windows that are needing reduced UV radiation. The protective material is supposedly a nonconductive ceramic that allows about 80% (hence the “80”) of visible light to pass through while blocking over 95% of the unwanted UV radiation. However, I cannot attest to the products personally.
https://www.tnttinting.com/image/new-legal-clear-heat-blocking-front-windshield-film
Thanks for kind reply. This part has 2 sides to it. Why did this happen to only one side and happen to the side which is not directly on the windshield?It happened to side pointing away from windshield. The side mounted to the windshield receives more sunlight

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for kind reply. This part has 2 sides to it. Why did this happen to only one side and happen to the side which is not directly on the windshield?It happened to side pointing away from windshield. The side mounted to the windshield receives more sunlight
What item or object does the discolored side adhere? For example, my friend has a double suction cup that one side mounts to the front windshield and the polar opposite side mounts a clip for the radar detector.

OP
OP

GT5.0Fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
BMW
What item or object does the discolored side adhere? For example, my friend has a double suction cup that one side mounts to the front windshield and the polar opposite side mounts a clip for the radar detector.
A suction cup pad mount. The pad is made from EPDM material. The EPDM material itself is very high quality and has no issues in the sun unless of course there is some sort of chemical reaction of the two when combined

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
...unless of course there is some sort of chemical reaction of the two when combined
This statement is the most likely explanation. The best way to resolve this question would be to adhere a pad to some of the EPDM material that you are using and place this into a complete darkened area or room for around the same time that your original pad discolored on the one side.

OP
OP

GT5.0Fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
BMW
This statement is the most likely explanation. The best way to resolve this question would be to adhere a pad to some of the EPDM material that you are using and place this into a complete darkened area or room for around the same time that your original pad discolored on the one side.
I am testing this at home now with the same material. Have another one with pad made from Silicone silicone at home which did not change color. The interesting part is I did a test on the window at home where I just put the round pad up on the window under direct sunlight and it too did not change color.
Sponsored