Check your oil pressure sensor ASAP

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but didn't think it was worth starting a new one. I can't find anyone mentioning what to do with the heat shielding over the sensor? I removed my intake to access this from the top, and believe mine is loose, but I don't see a way to remove the cylindrical heat shield without putting stress on the cables there. The wire takes a tight bend at the end of the shield so it doesn't look like I can just slide the shield back to access the bolt and threads.
Sponsored

OP
OP
xXANCHORMONXx

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but didn't think it was worth starting a new one. I can't find anyone mentioning what to do with the heat shielding over the sensor? I removed my intake to access this from the top, and believe mine is loose, but I don't see a way to remove the cylindrical heat shield without putting stress on the cables there. The wire takes a tight bend at the end of the shield so it doesn't look like I can just slide the shield back to access the bolt and threads.
You can

Just slide it down

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
I almost lost another motor, this time due to loss of oil.

I was getting my car aligned on Friday where I noticed some oil leaking, at first it looked like the filter was leaking but it was indeed coming from the sensor.

It’s on the upper portion of the filter housing and is covered in a cylindrical heat shield.

It was not even finger tight, if I did not catch it I am sure it would have caught fire at the track today.

Be sure to check yours on your next oil change!
Great advice. Common problem with our cars but potentially disastrous. My 16 GT350 track pack with 20k miles was leaking oil at first because of a poorly tightened oil filter. This happened within 1000 miles after the last oil change. A minor leak continued to appear still after torquing the filter to spec. The dealer confirmed that the oil pressure sensor had come loose and was leaking thru the thread. It was re-fitted with loctite
and torqued. There’s a TSB on this issue. Will continue monitoring...

Sponsored

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Got me too. I was fortunate to catch it on a short Sunday drive, but wonder what could have happened. Reach in from the top, slide back the heat shield, check the pigtail, tighten with a 27mm deep socket. I wish I spent the couple minutes a long time ago.

Should have listened.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
It looks like the people who posted theirs was loose have 2016-2017 cars, and the pictures I've seen are of ones with the older style screw in oil filters. Mine's a Post-January 2017 with the canister filter and when I checked it was tight and the witness marks matched. Is there a chance this was somehow addressed when they switched to the canister style filter assembly? Or have people with the newer filter assemblies also found theirs loose?

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
It looks like the people who posted theirs was loose have 2016-2017 cars, and the pictures I've seen are of ones with the older style screw in oil filters. Mine's a Post-January 2017 with the canister filter and when I checked it was tight and the witness marks matched. Is there a chance this was somehow addressed when they switched to the canister style filter assembly? Or have people with the newer filter assemblies also found theirs loose?
Both the filter and my oil sensor in the 16 came loose causing a minor leak. Do post 16 that have canisters do not leak from the oil sensors? I’m confused...

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I believe that there was a running change to the torque settings for the sensor after 2016 but I may be wrong. Those torqued with the new settings on engines built in late 2017 and beyond don't seem to leak.

The spin-on filters don't leak either if they're torqued properly.

Last edited:

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
I just wrapped the threads on this pressure sensor on my '17 GT with high temp teflon tape. Now, I'm getting a low oil pressure warning, even though my PP dash gauge reads normal. Any way to fix this?

Last edited:

Sponsored

shelbyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sandy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Track Package White w/blue stripes
I just wrapped the threads on this pressure sensor on my '17 GT with high temp teflon tape. Now, I'm getting a low oil pressure warning, even though my PP dash gauge reads normal. Any way to fix this?
I've always been told not to use any teflon tape on oil line fittings because of the risk of a small piece of it becoming dislodged and partially clogging a line. Not sure if its an old wives tale or not. Maybe a better choice would be the teflon paste.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Does the sensor need to ground itself and the tape is preventing that?

I used sealant/thread lock on mine and so far so good. The only thing that concerned me was the torque setting was a certain poundage and then 180 degrees after that. Mine was very tight and a little shy of the factory markings but no leaks

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Hight temp silicon/rtv is best for this job.
Sponsored