Check your new upgraded oil pump gears

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Hence nothing wrong with the stock ones. Also, watch the timing marks on AFTERMARKET gears, they can be up to a couple teeth out causing all kinds of havoc. But these companies go by: built it, convince the sheep they need it, and to hell with measure twice cut once.
I dont suppose you saw where i posted my boundary opg was marked 2 teeth incorrectly did ya? Glad i caught it. Can't believe the lack of quality control they have if i could tell it was 11 teeth from the keyway instead of 13 and they couldnt. Smh
Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I dont suppose you saw where i posted my boundary opg was marked 2 teeth incorrectly did ya? Glad i caught it. Can't believe the lack of quality control they have if i could tell it was 11 teeth from the keyway instead of 13 and they couldnt. Smh
Link to that post? Id like to check it out.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Link to that post? Id like to check it out.
Gimme a minute, its been a minute. Here are some pics though. My green mark is where i marked it to match my stock crank sprocket. As a headnote, my car was out of time, as shown by logs, when using the boundary marks. After i marked it myself and tested, everything was perfect. All timing procedures were followed per the manual, and the other colored link is on the corresponding mark, but for simplicity here are 2 photos showing the marks on the cs. Ill try to link where i posted it shortly.

20200813_161249.jpg
20200813_162510.jpg

20200812_221036.jpg

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Just my opinion FWIW,
Optical Comparator w/DRO for checking OPG gear sets. I understand most don't have access to that sort of equipment but it's takes a bunch of error out of measuring.

Last edited:

Sponsored

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
For the record, here is my yet to be installed MMR set. From all I'm reading, I feel pretty good about this fit, at least before running them, at about 5 thousandths.

MMRgears.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Adding this in for future reference:
Here’s some threads that contain factual OPG info, take time to read them, because not all OPGs are the same and yes there have been reported failures with some aftermarket OPG.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mmr-opgs.156369/

If you’re going to attemp OPG/timing yourself, or get a shop to do it, here’s important notes so check the below threads before jumping in without knowledge:

Incorrect timing marks on crank sprockets:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/psa-boundary-crank-sprocket-marks-incorrect.146665/

Clearance and other important OPG issues discussed:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/check-your-new-upgraded-oil-pump-gears.144427/

Ford Performance OPG notes:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...erotor-oil-pump-gear-set.160950/#post-3278453

How common the OPG is:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-common-are-issues-with-billet-opgs.168402/

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Not trying to start anything here but are there any recent reports of OPG breaking on boosted cars?
Yes (centri, PD, and TT) along with NA cars.

Ponyupnow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Seems like the upgrade is a downgrade.
Maybe since is a "high flow" pump that's why it has such wide clearances?

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
20k miles total on my 2018, the past 5K have been with boost.

Stock gears, all is good.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Stock gears, all is good
till it isn't. That's the funny thing about failure. :)
If only there was an OBD probe to report the imminent demise of the known troublesome part...

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
Do you think MMR corrected this issue with their OPG and sprocket? Have people always been changing the sprocket part as well?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Do you think MMR corrected this issue with their OPG and sprocket? Have people always been changing the sprocket part as well?
IMO, there's too many variances with the aftermarket OPG's as far as actual quality, metals used and actual tolerances. ANYONE with CNC equipment can copy a design and pop it off to sell to the masses... but everyone has to ask, how was that part tested, what failed during testing and what was done to resolve ANY failure either during testing OR what is being reported back from consumers with failed parts? What is their part composition and is it REALLY "as advertised"?

If it were me, and I'm going through the time to tear down everything to do OPG's OR a complete OP upgrade w/ OPG's, my choice is Ford Performance all day long, without any questions..... Parts and businesses chosen as contractors to Ford/Ford Performance must meet very stringent guidelines and provisions - products are tested and have to meet many breakpoints, tolerances, standards etc to even be considered a candidate labeled with Ford or Ford Performance branding and allowed to be sold through Ford or Ford Performance.

Is it worth it to sove a few bucks for X, then have to deal with the failure of X due to everything posted/seen in many of the OPG threads on here? To me, it's a big NO. I mean do you really want to do the job 2x, or risk a major failure?

I mean it's everyone's choice as to what OPG set they chose and where they spend their dimes, but definitely read the main OPG threads on this site before plunking down the $ and see what others have encountered with the installation using X, Y or Z.

Last edited:

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
@Cobra Jet Seems like the issue is not just with MMR . I also saw a video online where a company is saying that it is the housing that wears out and does allow the OPG to center so it causes noise. What are your thoughts on that? This is the video:

Last edited:

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
Thanks for the update and good look with the upcoming install. Let us know those results.
So after nearly 2 years of racing under the car's belt at this point, including doing 2 years of endurance drag and drive in Rocky Mountain Race Week totaling over 3k miles alone for that event, no noise and all is well. Car still sounds just like it did when it was new/stock, engine is beautifully quiet.

I ended up going with the Boundary OPG's and CS combo. Not the black ones either, just the normal set.

Couldn't be happier. It's been put through the paces on RMRW alone, not to mention all the test and tune's I've been to at this point since this thread was updated.

Just glad to have it resolved and verified.
Sponsored