Check your new upgraded oil pump gears

Furiosa GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
If this has already been posted I apologize but I just thought this was interesting.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Furiosa GT

Furiosa GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Can you summarize so that we don't have to watch clickbait?
New upgraded oil pump gear has too much clearance causing low oil pressure which looks to be the cause of that engines cylinder wall scoring which lead to a rebuild because of it. That was a gen 2 engine.

OP
OP
Furiosa GT

Furiosa GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Basically, when you get a new set of upgraded oil pump gears check them for too much clearance. They literally should have the same clearance as stock.

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Well that isn't confidence inspiring. Thanks for the heads up.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
So looks to me that he is ok with Boundary and TSS for gears since he said in the video that the gear that was out of tolerance is NOT sold on his sight and he does carry the two I mentioned. I would stay away from anything else then.

Sponsored

98SnakeHorse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt / 2013 F150 / 2006 F150
Why not mention the gear brand that caused the engine failure?

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
I know right?

fuelforfire87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
First rule of engine building is never rely on manufacture’s specs. Check and check again.

Also everyone should have a feeler gauge. They are very cheap.
Pretty sure that they are MMR OPG's since them, Boundary, and TSS are the only manufacturers that I know of that make OPG's for our cars. On my built motor car I ordered the entire upgraded oil pump assembly so hopefully the gears in there are ok "knock on wood"

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
So I had been fighting an issue with some noise on my setup, a click from around the crank damper area for about 4k miles, 3k miles after the OPG's were installed. Tried everything, put in new timing components/ect, the only thing that never changed was the OPG's and CS, however I removed and inspected them visually just to be safe.

Noise still wouldn't quit.

Installed different OPG's and CS, noise is gone.

Working with the manufacturer now, we'll see where it goes. They were 'lifetime' warranty against shattering if that helps.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
First rule of engine building is never rely on manufacture’s specs. Check and check again.

Also everyone should have a feeler gauge. They are very cheap.
This.

I wouldn't care whose parts they are, I'd check them regardless. No different than checking any other internal clearance.

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
100% agreed on checking everything. The stock oil pump gears I removed from a 2019 GT engine had .004" clearance, which I think is excellent.

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There certainly is a LOT more clearance visually on the aftermarket (left) vs the stock gears (right).

I'll get a feeler in there and see what we got.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Well shit. Not to badmouth MMR, but if the quality/consistency of the billet trigger wheel I got from them is any indication, their QC program isn't up to snuff. The trigger wheel was visually not machined properly (wouldn't even go on the end of the crank) and if it had, the thickness was so far out of tolerance it would have induced over 0.020" flywheel runout.

Not a fan.

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brand "X" with 6k miles on them, started making light 'click' sound at 3k miles in, rotor to outer ring clearance:

OEM gear I removed when I did the blower install/OPG install. These had 14k miles on them at time of install:

Brand X's tech support wants them back for inspection, at which time if deemed not an install failure, a new set will be issued. No refunds. Once this is resolved, I will update brand X's name, as at that time all the facts will be in place and brand X's manufacturer will have had a chance to inspect and make a determination of what happened. Before they get in the mail though, i'm going to feeler gauge the clearance and record it all, as well as take hi res pics up close of everything just so we are both in possession of the facts at hand.

I'm not super mad, I mean it's aftermarket performance so this is the name of the game. But dang, had to wonder if oil psi was dropping also.....I do not have a PP car so no live oil pressure gauge, just a dummy gauge. I cut the oil filter open last time around when the noise was starting to look for any metal, luckily there was none that I could see.

I have no idea the clearance when I put them in, there were NOT checked. The advertisement on brand X's website says drop in ready, so I took it as that. Never again.
Sponsored