jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
Hi everyone,

So lately I have noticed that my seatbelt pre tensioners do not retract anywhere as quickly as one would expect. I took it to my local dealer and showed them the problem and they have ordered me a new one. They also said to alert the NHTSA as well as ford as this is a serious safety concern.

Anyone else having this problem. Below is what I submitted to the NHTSA
describing the problem:

Seat Belt Tensioner: Seat belt tensioner is not retaining tension. Inordinate amount of slack when taking off belt coupled with slow retraction. Also have noticed lack of tension during sudden stopping. I have spoken with my local dealer and showed them the problem. The agreed with my assessment and have ordered a new pre-tensioner for me. They also noted a similar problem with the passenger seat-belt as well. I am asking the NHTSA to contact Ford about this problem as other makes and models could also be affected.

I also contacted Ford as well and let them know about this serious safety hazard.

This is just a heads up for everyone.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Why are you bumping this? Lol
Because this is a potentially life threatening issue. If the seat belt pre-tensioners are not doing their job, people are going to get seriously hurt or die if they are in a crash.

I am bumping this to ensure people know about this problem and to ensure they check their seat belts for proper function.

Safety first.

Sponsored

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
So, you had an issue with your car, nobody else has posted the same experience, and you need to keep bumping this up? :shrug:

OP
OP
jperls

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
So, you had an issue with your car, nobody else has posted the same experience, and you need to keep bumping this up? :shrug:
Its just in case others don't know about. However...point made...moderators please delete thread

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I have had the issue with the seat belt not retracting easily. This has happened on other Mustangs I've had. I have not confirmed if they would not lock in an emergency situation, but it is annoying to have to feed the belt in while it's retracting. In the other Mustangs, it was attributed to dirt and debris accumulation in the mechanism that retracts the belt. In one case, a piece of low friction tape was applied to the loop to ease the belt being pulled back in the housing. In both cases where I had the belts replaced, there was no charge. I need to have this corrected in my '15.

J-orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT vert
Hi everyone,

So lately I have noticed that my seatbelt pre tensioners do not retract anywhere as quickly as one would expect. I took it to my local dealer and showed them the problem and they have ordered me a new one. They also said to alert the NHTSA as well as ford as this is a serious safety concern.

Anyone else having this problem. Below is what I submitted to the NHTSA
describing the problem:

Seat Belt Tensioner: Seat belt tensioner is not retaining tension. Inordinate amount of slack when taking off belt coupled with slow retraction. Also have noticed lack of tension during sudden stopping. I have spoken with my local dealer and showed them the problem. The agreed with my assessment and have ordered a new pre-tensioner for me. They also noted a similar problem with the passenger seat-belt as well. I am asking the NHTSA to contact Ford about this problem as other makes and models could also be affected.

I also contacted Ford as well and let them know about this serious safety hazard.

This is just a heads up for everyone.
I am the second owner of a 2019 GT with 15k miles. It appears that both of my seat belts require intervention to get the retraction working. I think i will talk to the local dealership about this.