Sponsored

Check Engine Light On

shelby_r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 67 GT350, 68 GT350 Con, 65 R Restomod
Well...crap.

I just rolled over 4,500 miles, and my check engine light came on. I dropped off my 2016 GT350R at the dealership, and they said that the light was triggered due to low engine oil; which, they assume was caused by a leak. However, I can attest to the fact that there is no engine oil on my garage floor or on the ground of my work parking spot. :doh:

I remember just reading about someone whose engine was burning oil...I'm guessing this is the case.

...now, I wait for them to do a leak test and go from there...:(
Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
did your engine run rough or lose pressure prior to the light coming on? Did you check the dipstick at all before you dropped it off? Wonder how low it needs to read before the light triggers

OP
OP
shelby_r

shelby_r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did your engine run rough or lose pressure prior to the light coming on? Did you check the dipstick at all before you dropped it off? Wonder how low it needs to read before the light triggers
The engine was running fine, but after the check engine light came on, it sounded funny upon start up. However, it ran perfectly afterwords.

I hate to admit it, but I didn't check the engine oil before I dropped it off. The dealership said that there was barely any engine oil on the dip stick. The said they would check to see if there was any damage; which is covered by warranty, but still...

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I wasn't aware that our cars had an oil level sensor ... are you sure it wasn't low oil pressure? You'd notice that right away on the gauge in the car. You'd not be the first to lose an oil pump, myself and several others on here have been through that. Good luck!

My oil pump / low oil pressure thread: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66091

Sponsored

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Engine burned too much oil and pressure change triggered the CEL. I hope it goes well, it all depends on the tolerances Ford built into their DME and how conservative their CEL check is. If you were driving at 8 quarts for 1000 miles, thats no good.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I don't even think to look. I just kept looking for some way to determine what was at fault, or a fault code.
In those 4500 miles:

- How many times engine oil was changed and when?
- How many times have you checked the dip stick?

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
lucky, mine busted at 2000 miles, low oil ruined the entire engine, costed ford $30k to replace

Sponsored
OP
OP
shelby_r

shelby_r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lucky, mine busted at 2000 miles, low oil ruined the entire engine, costed ford $30k to replace
Wow! How were you tipped off that the oil was low? Did you check it yourself? How was the replacement process?

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Why was it low oil?
one saturday morning on a cold start the oil pump seized and decided to go on vacation, bottom half of the block had the oil, top half was bone dry and it grated the cylinder bores due to friction.. had a video but ford asked me to take it down

Wow! How were you tipped off that the oil was low? Did you check it yourself? How was the replacement process?
the warning came on with a rattling noise, sounded like F350 diesel engine, rough idling. they had to fly in the only extra engine available from michigan all way west of canada, i waited 45 days..rental was paid for so that was good
DSC_0044 (1).jpg

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
one saturday morning on a cold start the oil pump seized and decided to go on vacation, bottom half of the block had the oil, top half was bone dry and it grated the cylinder bores due to friction.. had a video but ford asked me to take it down

the warning came on with a rattling noise, sounded like F350 diesel engine, rough idling. they had to fly in the only extra engine available from michigan all way west of canada, i waited 45 days..rental was paid for so that was good
Oh so the pump failed. Thats very unfortunate:(

I'm suprised the engine just dies when the pump fails:(

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
:doh: show me an engine that can run without oil pressure.

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech

I check the dipstick every time I fill up out of habit and noticed it was using oil the first week of ownership. Been dumping in a quart every 560 miles since new and now at 12400 miles I am seeing the end of the second case of oil. Useage is steady and doesnt seem to change with temperature or driving style so I am wondering if I would have been better off to have ignored it for the first 1500-2000 and be looking at a new engine as well. Thought it was just a long break in and I would keep pouring in the oil.Dealer thinks its two valve seals . They ordered them (with a 'vehicle down") priority in june and ford still hasnt managed to provide the seals...geez its December!! Not too concerned as I truly believe that an engine that revs this high and tests just fine for compression using a leakdown test just has to use some oil!!
Sponsored

Last edited: