Sponsored

Cheapest Place to buy tires?

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Like the title says, just wondering how you guys try to save money on track tires. I'm planning on NT01s (305/35/18) but I may try to pick up a set of take off slicks. I'll prob get the Nittos for longevity as the take offs look to be around 600 shipped and wont last as long.

I think discount tire does price matching but I can't really find the NT01s cheaper than what they advertise, about 337 each. If I pick them up somewhere else I gotta still pay for mounting and ballancing so they have to be a good bit cheaper. (Tirerack.com kinda place)

I swear I ran across a stupid cheap website for competition tires a year ago or so but can't find it now. Competionrubber.com or something.

Just looking for any price saving tips.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Tire Rack - also because of their customer service. However they don't sell junk like Nitto which have nothing to do with competition.

Sponsored

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Like the title says, just wondering how you guys try to save money on track tires. I'm planning on NT01s (305/35/18) but I may try to pick up a set of take off slicks. I'll prob get the Nittos for longevity as the take offs look to be around 600 shipped and wont last as long.
I don't have any leads on cheap tires, I wish I did but the Take-Off Slicks are only good for about 10-12 heat cycles before they are done, and honestly by about the 7th or 8th they are headed south fast. When they are a fresh take-off, if that is a thing, they are about 3-4 sec faster than a NT01. When they are done they are closer to NT01 lap times. The NT01 is a great tire to learn on, They have a progressive release and will not snap away like some other tires. They wear like iron as long as you have your camber to their liking. I would routinely see 40-45 heat cycles out of an NT01 without a large drop in performance. To me it is a great HPDE tire and a great value due to their wear rate. They like to be abused and thrown around to get the best out of them so if you have a super smooth driving style and don't drive aggressive they will not be as fast as some other entry level competition tires.

Dave

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
American muscle used to carry the 305/35r18 NT01 and you could apply the 7% forum discount (plus free shipping) but unfortunately they stopped carrying them.

Performancetread.com (https://www.performancetread.com/nitto-nt01-305-35zr18.html) seems to have the lowest price now at $1,275.12 shipped. Jegs is about $100 more with their current promotion. You can find take off slicks at trackdaytire.com, usedracingtires.com, and shop.hoosiertire.com.

Performance Tread: $1,275.12
- $297.53 * 4 = $1,190 (tires)
- $28.75 * 4 = $85 (shipping)

OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Performance tread does look to be the cheapest of everything I've found.

Looks like trackdaytire has a cheap R888R in 295/30/18 at 277ish each. That's getting a little short (almost 3 in shorter than stock, 1/2 in shorter than my current track setup 305/35/18). It would be steached a bit on the rim and short so I bet it would be extremely responsive. I like the NT01 because after all the tread is gone the tire still has half its life left. Not sure if the R888R is the same way or would last as long as the NT01. Performance would be similar or slightly better I believe.

NT01 275/35/18 fit on an 11 in tire and are $246 each. I think I'd rather spend the 120 dollars for a wider tire though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Not intending to make your decision more difficult but trackdaytire is still running their holiday promotion (code: NOVEMBERDEAL) which ends up being a discount of $105.51 on a set of R888R in 305/35r18 bringing the total to $1,213.37 delivered.

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
Takes some patience cause there inventory is always changing but Ive gotten great deals at https://www.bestusedtires.com/. Yes the title says bestused but they also sell new as well for cheaper. Hope this helps

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I ended up getting a discount tire credit card just so I can get in on the rebate promotions. During various holidays you will get back as much as 15% on your entire purchase (at one point it was 20%) and the beauty of it is that discount tire will price match other sites. So... I find the cheapest online site possible, bring proof of price to discount to have them match it, and then pay with the credit card to get %15 back in prepaid cards. Then can just pay off the balance, although depending on the purchase amount it is usually interest free for 12 months.
Sponsored