Sponsored

CHEAP? Rear decklid plastic where the GT emblem sits?

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I think the other person who said the quality declined after 2017 is correct. Mine was in great shape for about a year, and then it seems like it took a shit out of nowhere. I don't know when though. I practice the correct methods, although sometimes I'll use quick detailer which I've never had problems with before. I probably made the mistake of wiping it down after it had sat in the sun for a while or something similar. It only takes one or two mistakes to ruin it. I don't really care that much though, for a car driven regularly I'm satisfied with 90%. The other 10% will drive you up the wall.
That kinda makes sense that Ford changed materials at some point. I have seen several threads like your and always scratched my head...I mean mine is perfect after 5yrs. Damn penny pinchers always find a way to f things up.

I wonder if you could get a replacement then hit it with clear bra material? Maybe a niche market for some supplier?
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That kinda makes sense that Ford changed materials at some point. I have seen several threads like your and always scratched my head...I mean mine is perfect after 5yrs. Damn penny pinchers always find a way to f things up.

I wonder if you could get a replacement then hit it with clear bra material? Maybe a niche market for some supplier?
They love to pinch their pennies where they can, lol.

Putting a coating or film on it definitely seems to be the way to go. I may get the car polished and ceramic coated later on in the year, at which point it should be good to go for a while. But as it stands, I'm not too bothered.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
PPF will fix any piano black from ever scratching. I wish I would have gotten mine done although it's not that bad. I had my Accord outside door pillars done for this exact reason and my PPF guy even recommended it because of the swirling \ scratching that's bound to happen on that piano black surface.

OP
OP
monte87

monte87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid RED Metallic GT
Thanks everyone for your replies and helping me out. Greatly appreciate it!!!
As for not touching it? Lol how can u not, u have to open and close trunk. And if u dont touch that part and lift by wing and close as well that will break off and scratch as well. They shouldve added what he fusion has in trunk. A small undergrad handle that allows to be closed and opened without ever touching trunklid.
My 20 year old foxbody is made w better materials than this s550, sad to say. But I still love my S550 . ❤

I'm thinking about fabbing a handle inside to bolt or screw into decklid from inside. 👍👍👍

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Thanks everyone for your replies and helping me out. Greatly appreciate it!!!
As for not touching it? Lol how can u not, u have to open and close trunk. And if u dont touch that part and lift by wing and close as well that will break off and scratch as well. They shouldve added what he fusion has in trunk. A small undergrad handle that allows to be closed and opened without ever touching trunklid.
My 20 year old foxbody is made w better materials than this s550, sad to say. But I still love my S550 . ❤

I'm thinking about fabbing a handle inside to bolt or screw into decklid from inside. 👍👍👍
I put my hand under it and I'll end up using my mask (lol) to close the trunk from the top so I don't smudge up that piece. There was a handle someone made cheap that they sold for this exact reason.

Deleted member 35644

It's some of the softest plastic I've ever seen. Microfiber can scratch it. I used a mild cutting pad and polish on mine, and it looks good until the next time it's washed. Gave up.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

Sponsored

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
The bean counters at Ford are really great at their jobs :crackup:

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Mine is in pretty good shape even after nearly 2 years. I just let the dust build up on it and (NEVER TOUCH IT). When it gets too be too much (or I am washing the car) it gets wet down a few times, wiped horizontally with a soapy wash mitt with zero pressure from my hand. I basically just let the weight of the mitt sit on the panel as I move it across. Then follow up with a blow dry from my EGO leaf blower, a misting of Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic and a micro fiber towel to wipe and spread the Meguiar's around. All done out of the sun of course.

If it ever gets to the point of requiring replacing, I will just get it covered in gloss black STEK PPF:

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Mine doesn't look to bad, but it is also the Ford Performance version with the emblem delete that I bought years ago for my 2017 GT. When I traded in my 2017, I removed it and placed it on my 2020 GT. Of course, my 2020 has only seen brushless car washes and I dry with a very soft micro fiber towel.

Doug

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Ford must have changed suppliers with the 2018+, because the material is much softer and more susceptible to scratches than the 2015-2017 panels.
I agree. The panel on my 2015 was still in really good shape when I traded it in last year, but the one on the '19 I traded for was not.

Dan243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
CQuartz ceramic coat has protected mine from scratching.
Sponsored