Sponsored

Chassis upgrades worth it for a daily driver?

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Was thinking about purchasing a few parts from Steeda and was wondering how much of a difference it would make (if any) for daily driving purposes just in terms of wanting a better handling car if it would be noticeable. No track use whatsoever planned at the moment. Can you guys let me know if you think it would be worth it or a waste of money for a 'spirited' daily driver?

Parts in question:
Steeda Stop the Hop Kit Starter
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-Stop-The-Hop-Starter-Kit-555-4455

Steeda Extreme K-Member Brace
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-mustang-extreme-g-trac-brace-2015-555-5532.html

Ford Performance Strut Tower Brace
https://www.steeda.com/ford-performance-m-20201-ma-s550-strut-tower-brace
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I only did the rear sub-frame braces and front 2-point G-brace, along with jacking rails, and it was definitely worth it adding 30 lbs, especially the rear. I didn't like the wallowing the rear sub-frame allowed. Now that car is what I expect of a Bullitt, and didn't have to re-align it. I'd suggest that, at least initially. You should be happy with those changes for your use of the car, which is like mine. No track, but like to tackle twisties spiritedly :)... and without wallowing.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I added the PP front bracing kit, both upper, lower and strut bar and it was worth it for me and I daily the car. Better turn in, much less unsettled over bumpy pavement.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Worth it for a DD? Absolutely! A handful of carefully selected mods has made my commute much more enjoyable (see sig for list) and I'd do it again without a second thought.
That said, the factory K-brace is an inexpensive and easy upgrade, the aftermarket braces are intended to reinforce the area further back but, it's my understanding that it's not really needed.
I have the Ford Performance strut tower and cowl braces, it's not a huge improvement on the street but it did tighten up the front end a bit. The GT version is the same part, I went with the Ford Performance part since the GT branding would be out of place on my EB.
I have no experience with the stop the hop parts. I was much more impressed with the way BMR locks down the rear subframe. The CB005 is a popular option. I went with the CB010 instead because I'd planned to add the CB762 in the future. I'm not so sure I need the CB762 for a DD anymore, in hindsight, the CB005 would probably been a good choice.
You might want to try better shocks and struts. The stock ones leave a lot to be desired and better dampers will make a noticeable difference. A rear subframe alignment kit is a good idea, it will help ensure your rear end is where it's supposed to be and, if you drop the subframe again for springs or anything, it will help ensure it goes back in the same place. Steeda and BMR have kits that look to be about the same

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Thank you all so far for all the input. I'm taking from this that the upgrades will be well worth it. Just gonna research which parts would be best for me and look into the BMR options.

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
Worth it for a DD? Absolutely! A handful of carefully selected mods has made my commute much more enjoyable (see sig for list) and I'd do it again without a second thought.
That said, the factory K-brace is an inexpensive and easy upgrade, the aftermarket braces are intended to reinforce the area further back but, it's my understanding that it's not really needed.
I have the Ford Performance strut tower and cowl braces, it's not a huge improvement on the street but it did tighten up the front end a bit. The GT version is the same part, I went with the Ford Performance part since the GT branding would be out of place on my EB.
I have no experience with the stop the hop parts. I was much more impressed with the way BMR locks down the rear subframe. The CB005 is a popular option. I went with the CB010 instead because I'd planned to add the CB762 in the future. I'm not so sure I need the CB762 for a DD anymore, in hindsight, the CB005 would probably been a good choice.
You might want to try better shocks and struts. The stock ones leave a lot to be desired and better dampers will make a noticeable difference. A rear subframe alignment kit is a good idea, it will help ensure your rear end is where it's supposed to be and, if you drop the subframe again for springs or anything, it will help ensure it goes back in the same place. Steeda and BMR have kits that look to be about the same
So you would say the struts/shocks would make a bigger difference than a couple of the parts I chose? That sounds good but let me ask what you think since that would be an extra ~$500.

So if I kept the STH kit but got rid of the K-member brace since you say it's not necessary and the strut tower brace and replaced that with a strut/shock kit, would that be better in your opinion than going with the original options?

Would either of these two be good options?
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-pro-action-shocks-and-struts-for-s550-non-adjustable-en.html
or
https://www.steeda.com/eibach-E60-35-029-01-22-s550-pro-damper-kit

Basically by "better" I just mean value for the handling improvements. I probably can't spend the money on everything at the moment, but would the $500 shock/struts be better than the K-member brace/strut tower brace combo?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So you would say the struts/shocks would make a bigger difference than a couple of the parts I chose? That sounds good but let me ask what you think since that would be an extra ~$500.
if you don't fix the chassis, suspension mods are just wasted. You forgot to include the Differential thru-bolt or grade-12 upgrade - specifically the spacer that's needed to fix Ford's major f*ckup.

I HIGHLY recommend the Whiteline IRS bushing kit - either the expensive to install cut out and replace version, or the much easier to install 'insert' version. The BMR/Steeda solutions are IMO way too rigid and guilty of unnecessary NVH.

No. Adjustable version or nothing. For non-adjust only the FRPP 'track' shocks are worthy, IMO at this price-point. The other is Bilstein. BMR SP083 springs in any event.

Big unknown. I don't think I've seen any threads about people using it. Pick the stuff that many, many forum users have installed.

Also the Steeda shifter bracket is very much a must-do.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944

So if I kept the STH kit but got rid of the K-member brace since you say it's not necessary and the strut tower brace and replaced that with a strut/shock kit, would that be better in your opinion than going with the original options?

Would either of these two be good options?
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-pro-action-shocks-and-struts-for-s550-non-adjustable-en.html
or
https://www.steeda.com/eibach-E60-35-029-01-22-s550-pro-damper-kit

Basically by "better" I just mean value for the handling improvements. I probably can't spend the money on everything at the moment, but would the $500 shock/struts be better than the K-member brace/strut tower brace combo?
I'd put the dampers near the top of the list, but you do need to have the chassis tightened up a bit to get the most out of it. My build budget was tight as well, I spent a year gathering parts before finally installing a bunch of upgrades all at once. My very first upgrade was the front bracing, the strut tower and cowl bracing (my car came with the lower K-brace). My struts, shocks, springs, control arms, CB010 and IRS alignment kit went in at once so I wouldn't have to have it aligned over and over again. Sway bars came later, and I have Steeda camber plates sitting on my dining room table waiting to be installed. I should have added those with the struts and springs but, like you, I had to watch the budget and I just wanted to get some stuff installed.
My advice would be to get the strut tower, cowl and k-brace right away, the price is reasonable and it's a quick and easy installation. Struts and any IRS subframe work will require an alignment afterward so gather your parts and do it in one shot. I'm very happy with the FRPP dampers, check out Levittown, they often have the best price. The kit, M-18000-F, includes the Performance Package upper shock mounts and upper strut mounts, bump stops and boots. The only other option, IMO, is the Bilsteins but there's a hefty price difference.
For the rear subframe, the Steeda and BMR options are both pretty popular, the stop the hop starter is around $350, the CB005 is $210 (add $30 for an alignment kit, I think it's included with Steeda) for a total of $240. Like I said previously, I prefer the BMR, but even if they are equal it's a $110 difference.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The Extream Kmember brace is a really think and flimsy ,maybe ok for track but having the two front bars hang down under your DD was a deal breaker ,the 4 holes did not line up ,not even close,it was really an unimpressive design. I ended up cutting it and just making it a 2 hole crossmember because i did not want that shit hanging under my car

The Hop kit,I think BMR does a nicer job of this particular package,just my opinion

Strut tower braces,you car should have come with them...

Sponsored

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
The Ford cowl extension/brace and lower K is a must. I ran that for a year before adding a strut tower brace, and honestly I don’t notice the strut tower brace. It takes high G forces to matter, not stuff you see DD. A chance to save cost there maybe. Here’s a thread on these parts

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...extension-lower-k-brace-install-guide.100800/

The aftermarket lower K braces aren’t really worth it aside from some specific high G use like on a track. Not worth the weight or cost to me.

For the rear, the BMR CB005 is the best bang for the buck. Once you remove the slop, it’s kind of amazing how bad the rear is in turns under power from the factory. This cleans that problem up well.

It’s tempting to do everything at once (I did but didn’t plan to) but you could dojust a few chassis upgrades while you decide on shocks and springs. Depends on your goals and use for the car which setup would be best.

OP
OP
SHxTGUN

SHxTGUN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP2
The Extream Kmember brace is a really think and flimsy ,maybe ok for track but having the two front bars hang down under your DD was a deal breaker ,the 4 holes did not line up ,not even close,it was really an unimpressive design. I ended up cutting it and just making it a 2 hole crossmember because i did not want that shit hanging under my car

The Hop kit,I think BMR does a nicer job of this particular package,just my opinion

Strut tower braces,you car should have come with them...
The newer non-PP GTs don't come with them. At least I think. Cause mine definetely doesn't have it and it's a 19 non-PP.

The Ford cowl extension/brace and lower K is a must. I ran that for a year before adding a strut tower brace, and honestly I don’t notice the strut tower brace. It takes high G forces to matter, not stuff you see DD. A chance to save cost there maybe. Here’s a thread on these parts

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...extension-lower-k-brace-install-guide.100800/

The aftermarket lower K braces aren’t really worth it aside from some specific high G use like on a track. Not worth the weight or cost to me.

For the rear, the BMR CB005 is the best bang for the buck. Once you remove the slop, it’s kind of amazing how bad the rear is in turns under power from the factory. This cleans that problem up well.

It’s tempting to do everything at once (I did but didn’t plan to) but you could dojust a few chassis upgrades while you decide on shocks and springs. Depends on your goals and use for the car which setup would be best.
Thanks for the linked thread. I probably may end up going the Ford lower K brace option instead and just buy the parts from that thread. And yeah maybe then I will go with the BMR CB005 instead of Steeda's option. Do you know if I should also pair that with the BMR CB762? Or just do the CB005 by itself?

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
The newer non-PP GTs don't come with them. At least I think. Cause mine definetely doesn't have it and it's a 19 non-PP.

Thanks for the linked thread. I probably may end up going the Ford lower K brace option instead and just buy the parts from that thread. And yeah maybe then I will go with the BMR CB005 instead of Steeda's option. Do you know if I should also pair that with the BMR CB762? Or just do the CB005 by itself?
For a DD, adding the CB762 isn’t really necessary. Would it be “better?” Yes. Will you notice? Probably not by much. Especially doing it with the CB0005 at the same time, hard to tell which part is doing what. BMR’s own tech posted a while back that CB005 is really plenty for just about anyone, especially DD. See here, post #6:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-production-has-commenced.108578/post-2326013

I haven’t bothered with CB762 yet because I haven’t found a problem it’ll solve for my use of the car (DD and a little AutoX). Money you can spend elsewhere.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know if I should also pair that with the BMR CB762? Or just do the CB005 by itself?
If you're gonna do CB005, just do the 762 which is a superset of 005. Or pair up the Whiteline KDT943 005 with Steeda's brace.

Last edited:

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
If you're gonna do CB005, just do the 762 which is a superset of 005. Or pair up the 005 with Steeda's brace.
CB005 and the Steeda rear brace aren’t compatible. I think CB010 can be used with the Steeda brace but would need to check some other posts. Though at that point, just do the CB005.
Sponsored