Charging system problem.

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
2019 GT PP1 401a. Have had a problem since new and dealer diagnosed as a bad battery (and replaced) just prior to warranty expiration. Because I don't drive it much, I keep it on a trickle charger (tried a Battery Tender and NOCO unit) but after about a week, I get notified that the car is going into sleepode to preserve battery. Took it to a parts store for them to diagnose, and their tester says the battery and starting system are good; however, charging system fails the test, although diodes and voltage regulation both pass.

My thought is a parisitic drain, but I can't figure how that would cause a charging system test failure. Any thoughts?
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
What's the issue???

I'm not seeing any problem, other than OCD.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Start testing for parasitic drain. The test is pretty easy, there was another post on it yesterday.

Others have posted pics of their window after a light frost, and it's clear there are some electrics that continue to run.

OP
OP

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
As soon as weather allows, I will begin troubleshooting.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
A parts store diag says charging system failed and you trust that?

Super simple to check. Start the car and check the voltage PID in the dash and/or a volt meter across the battery. 13.5 - 14.5 volts = no problem.

As for the car going to battery saver mode, that's what it's supposed to do if not driven - charger or not...

My WAG on this is you're way over thinking things.

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
A parts store diag says charging system failed and you trust that?

Super simple to check. Start the car and check the voltage PID in the dash and/or a volt meter across the battery. 13.5 - 14.5 volts = no problem.

As for the car going to battery saver mode, that's what it's supposed to do if not driven - charger or not...

My WAG on this is you're way over thinking things.
This.

There's no problem, just emotions.

OP
OP

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
Why would both battery chargers fail to be able to maintain the voltage level on my battery? In the past, when I drove the car every other day (40 miles round trip to work), I would occasionally wake to a no start condition. That was the reason for purchasing the first Battery Tender. When that didn't prevent the no start, I took it back to the dealer under warranty. They replaced the battery. I then retired and moved to a colder climate and started having the same issues. Switched trickle chargers to a NOCO unit with the same results. Even after a long ride, NOCO unit flashes slow red. Too cold and wet at the moment to start troubleshooting so I went to the local NAPA (they understand cars & trucks) and they ran the preliminary diagnostics for me. When it warms up, I will begin troubleshooting.

MiamiGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the car running, what does the voltage in the dash display? What about with the engine off and in accessory mode?

OP
OP

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
Accessories mode shows 12v (as long as you believe the accuracy of the gauges). Running shows 14+v. Yes, I know these show that the system is working as designed. Latest is that the it doesn't remember which gauges I want displayed.

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've had similar issues as well, so I sort of just gave up and disabled the BMS system. Haven't seen the sleep mode pop up since, even through three days of straight freezing.

Time will tell if the BMS was responsible for killing my two previous batteries.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
A bad battery cable or connection can wreak havoc sometimes. Make sure you have tight, clean connections at the battery. It's such a simple thing but so critical.

OP
OP

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
A bad battery cable or connection can wreak havoc sometimes. Make sure you have tight, clean connections at the battery. It's such a simple thing but so critical.
All are good. Thanks.

NTXChris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT
I think what people are saying is that the car will go into battery saver or 'deep sleep' mode after it's been sitting regardless of battery voltage. If you don't use the car for 14 days, or other conditions meet certain parameters, the car will go to sleep. It doesn't know it's on a trickle charger. Next time this happens, check the battery voltage with a multimeter, not the gauge cluster. If it's still above 12.5 volts (it should be if you use trickle/float charger), you're fine.

As long as the car behaves properly when you're driving it, you have nothing to worry about. If it can sit for a week off the charger and start without issue, you're fine.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...y-does-my-ford-vehicle-enter-deep-sleep-mode/

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
To add to this,
All wires have two ends.
It's not really enough to check only at the battery.

OP
OP

65CrownV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT/PP1
To add to this,
All wires have two ends.
It's not really enough to check only at the battery.
Understood, I've verified battery cables on both ends (Pos and Neg) when I connected the NOCO. Hopefully, I will be able to start pulling fuses and relays tomorrow to find out where the load(s) are.
Sponsored