Sponsored

Changing rear rotors and pads with parking brake engaged?

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I was an absolute dingus and completely forgot after having done the rear brakes on my 924 last week. I changed out the rear pads and rotors on my Mustang last night, with the parking brake fully up in the highest position. I habitually put cars in gear and the brake handle up whenever I jack up a car, but I forgot to the latter back down before starting, and especially before compressing the pistons.

Now, the parking brake handle only fully engages the brakes when it's near the very top, and I can hear something clanking underneath when the handle is pulled. I've heard they're self-adjusting, but I feel like that's not enough to fix this problem. My thought process is to either get underneath and adjust the 10mm hex bolt in the middle, or take off the sliding caliper, rotate the pistons back out, put it all back together and hope I have a functional handle again...Anyone have any other ideas or tips??

I feel like such a dumbarse.:frown:
Sponsored

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
It should self adjust with use if I understand the mechanism correctly. Keep in mind it has to self adjust for the full caliper's stroke, so pushing the piston in a little shouldn't be an issue