Sponsored

Changing oil but not filter, how much oil to add?

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
So I’m getting my oil changed, and nooooo I live in a condo and can’t do it myself in the parking garage….so don’t bug me about it, but could not get a new filter due to hoarders…it’s been a year and 6K mile and I’m at 10 percent on the oil life reading…so if I drain the oil and don’t change the filter….how much goes back in? I’m thinking 9.5 quarts or so? It’s a 2018 with cartridge thst I’m guessing holds 0.5 quarts?
Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
So I’m getting my oil changed, and nooooo I live in a condo and can’t do it myself in the parking garage….so don’t bug me about it, but could not get a new filter due to hoarders…it’s been a year and 6K mile and I’m at 10 percent on the oil life reading…so if I drain the oil and don’t change the filter….how much goes back in? I’m thinking 9.5 quarts or so? It’s a 2018 with cartridge thst I’m guessing holds 0.5 quarts?
In my experience, the oil filter housing and old filter holds mayyyyyyybe .25 quarts, .5 quarts TOPS. I’d say you’re right, add 9.5 quarts, then check the dipstick.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
That’s probably a good starting point, although I would suspect that filter holds a bit more, but better to short fill than overfill. That sucks that Ford can’t supply the filter for their own vehicles. Out of curiosity I watched a YouTube video about the issue and it doesn’t look like it will be solved anytime soon.I presume you’ve called around to dealers, since the video indicated that most dealers won’t sell the filter unless they’re doing the oil change.

Sponsored

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Why would you change the oil and not the filter? The owners supplement does not allow for this option at all! Wouldn't that void the warranty?

OP
OP
DCShelby

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Nobody in the DC area has them. I called places in Va and Md. I’ll get fresh oil today and get a new filter when they get back in stock. I told the service writer to put 9.5 in.

The oil life is at 9 percent and needs to be changed. It’s been a bit over a year since it was changed. The filter should be fine a bit longer, I’m at 48,000 miles now and the final bits of metal from machining and initial assembly should be long gone by now. It’s used half a liter of oil in 7K miles since I bought it.

Last edited:

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'd put in 9 quarts and start it up, idle it for a bit then top off. Nine quarts will generally get you to the bottom hole on the dipstick (which is "full" according to the owners manual) so it's more than enough to run the engine with. The thing you don't want is too much oil in the engine, so start low and work up.

OP
OP
DCShelby

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
I don’t trust aftermarket oil filters that seem to collapse, and if it did and I got engine damage I’m pretty sure Ford would not fix it for having non oem parts. The current one has 7 k miles on it, so it’ll be fine a bit longer.

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Are you having your oil changed at a Ford dealer, or a private service center? Beacuse I don't think Ford would change your oil, and leave the old oil filter in. And calling around for an oil filter, and getting a no answer, might only mean they dont have any to sell. But they may be holding onto some to do customers oil change. Call a Ford dealer, and try to schedule an oil change, and ask is they have the filter to do it. The answer may surprise you. I called many dealers to buy a filter, and was told whatever they have, they're saving to do customers oil change.

OP
OP
DCShelby

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Yes I used Koons at Falls Church Va and they drained oil and added new oil, with same cartridge as I told them to do. Also had the fuel filter replaced and that was in stock. They did not have any oil filters in stock and I called other dealers and all gone, due to fing hoarders. Selling on EBay for up to 300, I’m not paying thst

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
That's myth. An aftermarket filter will not void your warranty. And any quality filter made for your application,will not damage your motor.

Anyone who disagrees with this? Please show evidence to the contrary when you speak up.

I would rather change the filter and oil. But that's just me.
I'm with you. There is nothing wrong with a K&N filter. I would certainly use one even if only a stop gap measure until I got a Ford one. Still better than having one year old oil in my engine (even if only 1/2 to 1 quart).

https://www.knfilters.com/oil-filters/ford/mustang-shelby/5.2l-v8-gas/2018

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I don't think there's been a rash of aftermarket filters collapsing...I think that's mostly been the Ford filters. But there in lies my point...the manual does not allow for you to change the oil and not the filter. Aren't you concerned if your engine fails after this oil change, they won't cover it when they discover you didn't change the filter?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I don't think there's been a rash of aftermarket filters collapsing...I think that's mostly been the Ford filters. But there in lies my point...the manual does not allow for you to change the oil and not the filter. Aren't you concerned if your engine fails after this oil change, they won't cover it when they discover you didn't change the filter?
Couldn't find that in the manual but I did find this.....

Note: The use of any oil filter other than the dealer supplied oil filter may cause engine damage.
Sponsored