Sponsored

Change direction of A-pillar tweeters

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Am I the only one who feels like the a pillar tweeters are too far forward and are facing too far away from the driver? When I lean my head forward so that it is between the two tweeters, it sounds far far better. This has occurred with every aftermarket tweeter that I have tried. So… I would like to change the direction of the a pillar tweeters so that they are turned more towards the driver. I would say about a 45° adjustment. Obviously the a pillar trim would have to be modified somehow. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this I’m all ears.
Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Am I the only one who feels like the a pillar tweeters are too far forward and are facing too far away from the driver? When I lean my head forward so that it is between the two tweeters, it sounds far far better. This has occurred with every aftermarket tweeter that I have tried. So… I would like to change the direction of the a pillar tweeters so that they are turned more towards the driver. I would say about a 45° adjustment. Obviously the a pillar trim would have to be modified somehow. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this I’m all ears.
Your best bet is to find a good car audio shop near you and get their thoughts. Probably looking at a custom fab job like a pod that houses the tweeter and is attached to the a-pillar.

You are going down a rabbit hole :) At that point maybe buy an aftermarket tweeter that is angled and then doing some work on the a pillar to integrate. But then you get into things like wiring, impedance, time alignment, etc.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
The best position for the tweeter is in the center of the midrange. You want the acoustic centers to be identical or as close to it as possible. The tweeter is up high on the A pillar and inward toward the center of the car. A terrible location. That creates a timing difference between it and the midrange and that timing difference creates comb filtering and causes huge dips in the frequency response. It messes up the imaging big time. I would suggest a 3.5" or 4" coaxial. But if those are out of the question (few options in this size) then mount the tweeter above the midrange where the sail panel and the top of the door meet. A custom tweeter pod could be made out of the sail panel to allow the tweeters to be aimed at the best angle. The sail panels can be removed from the door panel and reattached. If my 3.5" coaxials don't work out, I will be doing a custom sail panel. If I mess it up I'm only out about $12. The cost to replace the sail panel piece. I do not plan on or recommend modifying the door panel. Too expensive to replace.

This is the sail panel highlighted in yellow:
Sail Panel.PNG

Fabricate a custom pod out of that sail panel something like this:
tweeter pod.PNG

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like that sail panel idea, but our sail panel looks way too small to house a tweeter. If you somehow manage to fabricate one that works, please post it. I may just look into the price of the actual a pillar trim. If not two cost prohibitive maybe I’ll buy one and experiment.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A guy in the German forum posted these pictures (Sorry for just doing screen shots @Dominic_Stephan).

Tweeters1.png
Tweeters2.png
Thanks, but that looks like it’s beyond my skill level.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
so, there is only 2 ways i can think of, off the top of my head to accomplish this. the old fashioned way.. like @Falk03 showed pictures of, or a 3d printed bracket. you say the filler, sanding, and painting method might be beyond your skill level. so, can you make 3d models? its easy to get something printed. there are literal 3d print farms online, that take your model and print it for you, then send it to you in the mail.

just a thought..

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
You need flush-mount tweeter cups that support angling and swiveling if you want to retain the A-pillar location. Although out of production (but still available), JL Audio’s XR-100CT tweeters can do this. There are others out there as well.
2C5FFE1C-8316-4263-9E21-683C3D1AF97D.jpeg
14C71A1C-2091-47A4-AD48-8583763F808C.jpeg

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so, there is only 2 ways i can think of, off the top of my head to accomplish this. the old fashioned way.. like @Falk03 showed pictures of, or a 3d printed bracket. you say the filler, sanding, and painting method might be beyond your skill level. so, can you make 3d models? its easy to get something printed. there are literal 3d print farms online, that take your model and print it for you, then send it to you in the mail.

just a thought..
It's not that filler/sanding/painting would be difficult. I just don't think the end result would look very good. I have no experience at all with 3D modeling. A new a-pillar trim is $50. I might try messing with relocating the tweeter in the trim. I think if done right that could look good.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need flush-mount tweeter cups that support angling and swiveling if you want to retain the A-pillar location. Although out of production (but still available), JL Audio’s XR-100CT tweeters can do this. There are others out there as well.
2C5FFE1C-8316-4263-9E21-683C3D1AF97D.jpeg
14C71A1C-2091-47A4-AD48-8583763F808C.jpeg
My current tweeters (Powerbass) actually came with those, but they don't fit in stock location. I guess I'll try altering the stock trim to make them fit.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang , 02 camaro ss, 05 f150 , 09 nissan altima
I also dont like the tweeter location in my 2015. I have two nice Focal tweeters Im trying to mount up tonight.
20200522_191122.jpg
Im trying to take my door panel off right now without breaking any clips, so I can see the stock speaker and hopefully swap it with some jbl speakers I had laying around.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
E
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang , 02 camaro ss, 05 f150 , 09 nissan altima
I have both pillars from my 2015 mustang and two tweeter angle mount pods I dont need if you want it all really cheap.
s-l400.jpg

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have both pillars from my 2015 mustang and two tweeter angle mount pods I dont need if you want it all really cheap.
s-l400.jpg
Sent you a PM

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The best position for the tweeter is in the center of the midrange. You want the acoustic centers to be identical or as close to it as possible. The tweeter is up high on the A pillar and inward toward the center of the car. A terrible location. That creates a timing difference between it and the midrange and that timing difference creates comb filtering and causes huge dips in the frequency response. It messes up the imaging big time. I would suggest a 3.5" or 4" coaxial. But if those are out of the question (few options in this size) then mount the tweeter above the midrange where the sail panel and the top of the door meet. A custom tweeter pod could be made out of the sail panel to allow the tweeters to be aimed at the best angle. The sail panels can be removed from the door panel and reattached. If my 3.5" coaxials don't work out, I will be doing a custom sail panel. If I mess it up I'm only out about $12. The cost to replace the sail panel piece. I do not plan on or recommend modifying the door panel. Too expensive to replace.

This is the sail panel highlighted in yellow:
Sail Panel.PNG

Fabricate a custom pod out of that sail panel something like this:
tweeter pod.PNG

^^^^

That was the factory location of the 1994-2004 Mustang tweeters. You could try buying a used set of tweeter pods off eBay and integrating them, but they are slightly larger than the S550 sail panel triangles.

OP
OP

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone know how to remove the sail panel?
Sponsored