Sponsored

Change Clutch Spring make Clutch feel softer? or heavier?

GTV6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 3.7, 2019 Mustang GT 5.0 PP2
There is 2 different mustang clutch spring for sell online. SR Performance(30lb inch) and Steeda(35lb inch).

How it feel when you guys install it for a 2015-2017 Mustang Ecoboost? make clutch feel softer or heavier?

----------------------------
I am very enjoy My 2019 GT PP2`s cluth feeling. The 2017 V6 cluth is heavier than 2019 GT.
Just got a 2015 Ecoboost, the cluth feeling is similar as 2017 V6 and heavier than 2019 GT.

I know the SR Performance(30lb inch) and Steeda(35lb inch) spring could make 18+ GT clutch heavier. but what about 2015 ecoboost?
Sponsored

Last edited:

piersonriley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pierson
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT MT82 in Antimatter Blue
I installed the Steeda one. It is noticeably heavier but you get used to it. It feels a lot better than the stock one and It would be my first suggestion to anyone just getting a manual mustang.

OP
OP

GTV6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 3.7, 2019 Mustang GT 5.0 PP2
@ice445 @piersonriley @BigR4444

Thank you guys.
I am very enjoy My 2019 GT PP2`s cluth feeling. The 2017 V6 cluth is heavier than 2019 GT.
Just got a 2015 Ecoboost, the cluth feeling is similar as 2017 V6 and heavier than 2019 GT.

I know the SR Performance(30lb inch) and Steeda(35lb inch) spring could make 18+ GT clutch heavier. but what about 2015 ecoboost?

Sponsored

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
The aftermarket springs are supposed to allow for more “feedback”. I actually never had an issue with the stock spring that came on the car and preferred it when daily driving in Houston traffic.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Earlier this week, I replaced the stock clutch assist spring with one from Steeda. This morning, I drove the car with the new spring for the first time.

Before replacing the spring, put on some glasses. The factory spring is very stiff. I had to wrestle to remove it. After ricocheting around, it hit me in the face. LOL.

Should you replace it? I think so.

The factory spring is on the left, Steeda's on the right. The spring difference are obvious, but notice the perch as well. Steeda's is stronger.

Like others, I was having difficulty sensing the factory bite point, where the clutch would engage. Often, I had to start a roll, almost stalling, pull it back, and then move forward. Long-term, I was concerned about premature clutch wear and failure.

The new spring makes a big difference. I have a better idea when the clutch will bite now. Stiffness? There is some, right? I mean, the spring rate is completely different. But after driving this morning, I didn't notice any more.

As a reference, I've been driving manuals for decades. I can't run on my knees any more, but the additional stiffness of the new spring was a non-issue.

Highly recommend replacing. But do put goggles on before removing the Ford spring.

clutch assist 001.jpg

clutch assist 002.jpg
It's not incredibly expensive and you can always put the old one back in if things aren't to your liking.

Last edited:

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
the steeda spring let's you feel the engagement better. My upshifts during normal driving were a little "clunky" prior to the spring swap, as described by my copilot & wife. Now if she closes her eyes she doesn't even feel the upshifts. That's the only benefit I got out of it. WOT shifts didn't change at all.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
On my 21 GT, I believe the stock spring is 80lbs. The Steeda is 30lbs (don't think you'll notice a difference between 30/35). The engagement is much better as I can feel it now. Stock pedal feel was like a rock.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I realize this is entirely subjective but what is the pedal effort like with a stock clutch setup? I recently drove a buddy’s new Tacoma and the clutch just about required two feet to operate.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I realize this is entirely subjective but what is the pedal effort like with a stock clutch setup? I recently drove a buddy’s new Tacoma and the clutch just about required two feet to operate.
If that vehicle required that much force, I'd consider returning to the dealer for review.

For the Mustang, the stock spring requires little effort. Average. But due to the spring rate, it doesn't really have any feel for when the clutch will engage. I didn't feel it anyway. And therein lies the problem: it's not the amount of effort, but the sense or feel that's the issue.

The stock spring has few winds that are really heavy; it's essentially and all-or-nothing spring. The replacement springs are noticeably thinner, but have more winds. The new pedal effort is stiffer, but doesn't require that much more force. I stopped noticing any force difference required after a few minutes of driving.

If the stock Mustang spring works, no need to change. If one is having experiences like ours, it's certainly an option to consider.
Sponsored

Last edited: