Sponsored

Challenger outsold Mustang again. Worst Mustang sales ever.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
I live in SE MI, an area with probably the most domestic vehicle sales in the country, for obvious reasons.

Dodge is the deadbeat high risk loan crowd brand, they will sell/lease to anyone with a pulse, and they also tend to have much cheaper leases than other manufacturers, that's why they 'outsell' other models. It's also why almost every vehicle related crime in this area involves a 300, Challenger, Journey or Charger.

When I first explored a summer fun car a few years back, I leased a new 2017 Challenger for 2 years to see if I enjoyed it, I was paying $240 a month with nothing (maybe $500 for first/last month) down, a Mustang lease would have been double that price with a few thousand down payment..
The exact same scenario exists here in Chicago land.
Sponsored

SammieJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, N4871
My Mach 1 was ordered 11/29/2021, and it ainā€™t here yet. So yea, canā€™t sell what you donā€™t have. And to top it all off it is sitting in the lot at Flatrock since October.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I can believe it. The Mopar cars are coming to an end, so people are scooping them up like never before. Then Ford just announced the new generation S650, which usually means poor sales for it's current generation as most people wait for the new one.

Not making excuses, just thoughts as to why.
That's true. BTW, I've been watching the Mecum Auto Auctions and there's a bunch of new cars (2022, etc.) that have been fetching some massive coin! Of course, I presume these guys bought the cars just to re-sell them as many have under 100 miles on the odometer. Everything from the new Broncos, Challenger Demons, etc.

Ponykixx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I have a Scatpack Challenger in the garageā€¦ Ford would have had at least one more sale if they would have built it. I ordered my 2022 Mach 1 on 10/15/21 and it hasnā€™t been built yetā€¦. There are several of us in the 2022 order tracking thread that didnā€™t get our carsā€¦. So for nowā€¦
AAC59C14-3355-493E-B2B7-5FC7E998BA24.jpeg

Last edited:

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
No surprise on the poor Mustang sales. Go back to January, February and March of 2022 and Flatrock was idle more than it was active due to supply chain issues.

That being said, good on Dodge. If the Mustang didn't exist, a Challenger would be my choice.
We also have to remember that the F-series is the money maker. Ford probably used the chips (the ones needed and used in both F-series and Mustangs) for the F-series as a priority over the Mustang. It's hard to imagine that they sold that many F-150s and such last year. They're pretty much so far ahead in sales over the nearest competitor that it's almost laughable.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
C'mon now, we know the only reason more Challengers were sold is because the inner circle of the Dodge Fan Boyz Tinfoil Hat Club thinks the yellow shipping guards add 2.5HP and make the car special...

1673293049050.jpeg

1673293388522.jpeg

If Ford attached yellow protective guards to the S550, there would have been a Dodge Fan Boy exodus and Ford would have outsold the Challenger, every single year.

šŸ˜

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Yes they do! šŸ¤£ It is like playing with fire! There is a strange feeling of respect that I have towards the car as I know it will gladly take me out without warning if I do something dumb. LOL

Iā€™ve never driven a GT500 but I imagine it is similar, although I do think mustangs would be way more refined, especially compared to my gen viper. I keep the dumb tricks to a minimum as I do want to live haha so folks see me all the time casually driving to Costco or Trader Joeā€™s with the viper to get groceries. šŸ¤£ the reactions I see are priceless and it is a real treat to share with others as most of the viper owners near me have garage queens, so the public never sees them. Itā€™s a toy that I love, but the mustang I have is the car that I couldnā€™t live without! Best daily ever and so well rounded. Equal balance of power, style and comfort.
I remember back in the day (70's) driving my friend's Plymouth Duster 340 (it had the huge 340 decal on the rear fender area) and it was "fun". The car had loads of power but it handled like crap. You had absolutely no road feel in the steering and it felt really slushy. I'm not sure if it had a front sway bar but that torsion bar front suspension really felt loose and had a lot of body roll on turns. It almost felt like going around corners with my old girlfriend's '66 Coronet with a 383 in it. It was really a "boat" to be sure. Of course, I'm sure the Challenger today handles a lot better than the old 70's Challenger but that weight definitely affects handling, just as the current S550 weight does (though I admit that my 3700 lb. GT handles much, much better than my 3200 lb. '71 Mach 1 did).

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
I'm a Challenger SRT owner. They don't handle as well as a mustang but on balance they handle better than you would think for a 4200 lb car.
I'd bet that it handles better than the '70 era Challenger.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at the Challengers when trying to decide which way to go back in 2016. I like them, but damn they are a big boat of a car. The mustang is no slim looking Porsche, but man.....
In the end I leaned more towards sports car than muscle car....

Sponsored

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - The ā€˜19 Bullitt is my first pony car ever, which was bit of a factor as I always appreciated the first generation cars. I graduated from H.S. in ā€˜60 so I was an active car guy during the first generation of muscle cars and owned 2 new GTOs, I did look at the Challenger as well as the Mustang as I wanted the retro look. The Camaro didnā€™t appeal to me. My decision was made when the Bullitt model was announced, so advertising does have an influence. The initial Ford promotional video and reviews were the clincher - the color, retro sleeper styling, exhaust sound, etc, hooked me. I like performance, but factors like h.p., top speed and track times were of limited importance. I was just looking for a fun and stylish ride to keep me feeling young occasionally, which is exactly what I got. At my age I could afford a more expensive car but my tastes remain middle class. Donā€™t attack me on this as they are great cars, but I owned a Corvette in the past and was never 100% comfortable with the image it can portray. Thatā€™s just me, not a criticism of others. In retrospect I am happy with my choice because in my subjective experience the ā€œbad behaviorā€œ of too many of the MOPAR drivers is a turnoff. I realize there are plenty of idiot Mustangers, but in my experience, not to same same extent... Bruce

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hi - The ā€˜19 Bullitt is my first pony car ever, which was bit of a factor as I always appreciated the first generation cars. I graduated from H.S. in ā€˜60 so I was an active car guy during the first generation of muscle cars and owned 2 new GTOs, I did look at the Challenger as well as the Mustang as I wanted the retro look. The Camaro didnā€™t appeal to me. My decision was made when the Bullitt model was announced, so advertising does have an influence. The initial Ford promotional video and reviews were the clincher - the color, retro sleeper styling, exhaust sound, etc, hooked me. I like performance, but factors like h.p., top speed and track times were of limited importance. I was just looking for a fun and stylish ride to keep me feeling young occasionally, which is exactly what I got. At my age I could afford a more expensive car but my tastes remain middle class. Donā€™t attack me on this as they are great cars, but I owned a Corvette in the past and was never 100% comfortable with the image it can portray. Thatā€™s just me, not a criticism of others. In retrospect I am happy with my choice because in my subjective experience the ā€œbad behaviorā€œ of too many of the MOPAR drivers is a turnoff. I realize there are plenty of idiot Mustangers, but in my experience, not to same same extent... Bruce
Yeah, I agree with your assessment. I consider the GT350 as a middle class car. Thought about a corvette as well, but just couldn't get over the image of the top down, gray to white hair and a vented baseball cap. LOL... The new c8 is growing on me though, but struggling with the whole super car look....but that's another whole discussion :like:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yeah, I agree with your assessment. I consider the GT350 as a middle class car. Thought about a corvette as well, but just couldn't get over the image of the top down, gray to white hair and a vented baseball cap. LOL... The new c8 is growing on me though, but struggling with the whole super car look....but that's another whole discussion :like:
Donā€™t forget the jorts and New Balance too! šŸ˜‚

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
Up here in Canada, it's a similar story. There are next to no Challengers/Chargers on the lots, but a TON of Mustangs available. I've been brokering deals for quite a few people on Mustangs lately. The discounts and great rates sure help sell. I know Dodge has some pretty junk rates compared to Ford and Chevy...6.99% on Challengers/Chargers. Yuck. Obviously, our car sales don't amount to much in the big picture, though.
That's not what I saw when I was shopping in the maritimes... there was one dealer in NS who had 4 challenger scat packs. There were no incentives at all, other than $500 for being active military. The dealer I almost bought a challenger from would sell for sticker and no lower.

There was one '22 Mustang GT with a stick shift within a day's drive from me, and I bought it (for a grand off sticker).

I got a better interest rate from Ford Credit (2.49) than I could get through Dodge (3.99) as well, so that didn't hurt.

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
The exact same scenario exists here in Chicago land.
Not only that, but HIGH insurance too. I pay under $600 every 6 months for my GT insurance with high limits. A friend bought a new V6 Charger and it was over $1,800 for 6 months! For a V6! The fact that they are also favorites of thieves doesn't help. Some of the most stolen cars in Chicago.
Sponsored