Sponsored

Challenger outsold Mustang again. Worst Mustang sales ever.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't tried using Android auto since I have nav and traffic on the car. And I don't use Mac products. There are 2 cigarettes points but no shelf or cubby to actually place the phone. Dash design is such there is no good surface for mounting either. It's like it was designed without any thought at all on phone use.

Bad feel but still manages corners was what I was getting at. I just don't like having to guess and hope.
Sponsored

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
I agree with the last dodge ice, and new mustang being two big reasons. I don't know what a Dodge costs, other than I know a hellcat is expensive. I've never ridden in any dodge muscle, how do they handle? I always assumed poorly...
The last time I went to the Dodge web site for LOLs, they seemed to be offering a lot of incentives that mean you'd pay a lot less than MSRP for a Challenger, and the $/hp could be better than a Mustang.

I'm under the impression the Dodges' handling is okay, but their cornering performance suffers from being a fat-ass car over 4300 lbs, on little 245 treads.
Even if you get options with bigger tires, the tread/weight still compares poorly to most sporty cars. I'm pretty sure Dodge knows it, 'cause while Chevy and Ford have been marketing some track-day packages, Dodge has been advertising for the straight-line niche on purpose.

Back in 2019 Dodge was selling them with 5K of factory cash and then another 5-8% off from there.
That might be when I last looked at them. I forget. 😅

klink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS, 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT
The last time I went to the Dodge web site for LOLs, they seemed to be offering a lot of incentives that mean you'd pay a lot less than MSRP for a Challenger, and the $/hp could be better than a Mustang.

I'm under the impression the Dodges' handling is okay, but their cornering performance suffers from being a fat-ass car over 4300 lbs, on little 245 treads.
Even if you get options with bigger tires, the tread/weight still compares poorly to most sporty cars. I'm pretty sure Dodge knows it, 'cause while Chevy and Ford have been marketing some track-day packages, Dodge has been advertising for the straight-line niche on purpose.

That might be when I last looked at them. I forget. 😅
Weird, they're still selling better than Ford mustangs. How's that for some lol's?

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Weird, they're still selling better than Ford mustangs. How's that for some lol's?
You know very well that doesn't really mean anything. The spread of sales is always massively in favor of base models/lower trims, not the good stuff. I think the secret to the Challenger's success lies more in the fact you can get an SXT or a GT with AWD, something that makes it practical all year round and approachable for more people. Nobody else offers that.

Katastrophe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX, 2014 Honda VFR800F
Up here in Canada, it's a similar story. There are next to no Challengers/Chargers on the lots, but a TON of Mustangs available. I've been brokering deals for quite a few people on Mustangs lately. The discounts and great rates sure help sell. I know Dodge has some pretty junk rates compared to Ford and Chevy...6.99% on Challengers/Chargers. Yuck. Obviously, our car sales don't amount to much in the big picture, though.

The Camaro (unsurprisingly) is by far the cheapest option up here, too...you can finance a ZL1 for about the same as a Scat Pack in some cases. Looking at the cost of borrowing on some of these cars makes my butt hurt, LOL. Anyway, I won't get off topic with that stuff...

Sponsored

lugbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
challengers had higher sales numbers. That's known. Dodge (or whatever it's called now) will use that to their advantage. "We outsold the Mustang", yet they don't say why. Maybe they sourced some really dirt cheap garbage parts for the electronics, or body parts, or whatever--when Ford stuck it out as best they could to get parts to build Mustangs.

Manufacturers like to play the numbers. We all know that. And we all do that too at times. That doesn't necessarily mean anything. Or it might. Depends on how the numbers are played.

Numbers can be important but they don't tell the whole story.

The S550 tracking thread tells a good story as to why Ford's sales were down. There is a lot more to it. If they can't get cars, they can't sell cars. But there was not as much shortage of Mach-E's on dealer lots; at least not around here. Those and F-150's although the pickups were also in shorter supply, just not 'as' short supply as Mustang GT's and especially Ecoboost models. Finding a new 22 ecoboost on the lot was impossible. Order only, and wait months. Some waited close to a year. Why Ecoboost? They were in a little higher demand than usual due to fuel cost increases is what I'm told. But you'd figure they could sell Mach-E's too, but every time I went to the dealer, they always has Mach-E's on the lot or on the showroom, but never an ecoboost of any trim. Couple GT's here and there though. Almost bought a base model myself but I prefer the premium interior and the cost difference between what I ordered and a lot-stock premium GT was significant.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I agree with the last dodge ice, and new mustang being two big reasons. I don't know what a Dodge costs, other than I know a hellcat is expensive. I've never ridden in any dodge muscle, how do they handle? I always assumed poorly...
NAH, It is the last 2 door v8 ice car that you can put 4 adults in. That isn't a 100k BMW.
I love my stang, but I would not want to even try to sit in the back seats.

Deleted member 69033

NAH, It is the last 2 door v8 ice car that you can put 4 adults in. That isn't a 100k BMW.
I love my stang, but I would not want to even try to sit in the back seats.
I've had 4 adults in my car multiple times. I wouldn't want to drive to Florida like that, but to go out to dinner it wasn't terrible. The two in back were admittedly pretty short, lol, but my wife and I both are pretty tall.

Kids in the back seat is fine though, and I have one young son, so we can use it for a family car until he's as tall as dad.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I've had 4 adults in my car multiple times. I wouldn't want to drive to Florida like that, but to go out to dinner it wasn't terrible. The two in back were admittedly pretty short, lol, but my wife and I both are pretty tall.

Kids in the back seat is fine though, and I have one young son, so we can use it for a family car until he's as tall as dad.
Thanks but no thanks. I'm just under 6' and the foot room between the front seat to the rear bottom is 6".
It is tight to put any adult in the back. Twisting your foot to get it under the seat, or moving it forward then back after they are in, locking their feet in the hole, MEH, I'll pass.

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Thanks but no thanks. I'm just under 6' and the foot room between the front seat to the rear bottom is 6".
It is tight to put any adult in the back. Twisting your foot to get it under the seat, or moving it forward then back after they are in, locking their feet in the hole, MEH, I'll pass.
I took my average height 10/11 year old nephews for a ride and they sat in the back seat because thier older brother rode shotgun. I felt claustrophobic FOR them.

Sponsored

Deleted member 69033

Huh, really? I'm 6'2, my kid is only 8, but a tall 8. We don't have an issue...

Honestly I kind of like sitting up on the pedals anyway though. I also like my seat almost at a 90, whenever I get in someone's car it feels like the seat is laid wayyyyyyyy back. So I guess it depends how you like your seat adjusted as well?

SkyBlast

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ponytales.org
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT with PP1
I believe that Mustangs aren't selling as well for these 3 reasons:
  1. Ford dealers are raping people's wallets, so people said "Nope" and walked away
  2. Inflation hasn't been this bad since 1982, so people said "Nope" and walked away
  3. The S650 is coming out so people are waiting to buy it instead

Dawgman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walter
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Strictly a function of a lack of production. I suspect Ford elected to use the available chips on higher margin Trucks and SUV's. Maintaining F Series leadership was one of the highest if not THE highest priority.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Mustang is the ugly orphan you kick into the broom closet under the stairs, when the neighbors pop in. I'll bet $$$ all ecoboost production was routed to Ranger and Bronco before they allowed Mustang to have some.

Spartan1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Eruption Green GT 400A
I live in SE MI, an area with probably the most domestic vehicle sales in the country, for obvious reasons.

Dodge is the deadbeat high risk loan crowd brand, they will sell/lease to anyone with a pulse, and they also tend to have much cheaper leases than other manufacturers, that's why they 'outsell' other models. It's also why almost every vehicle related crime in this area involves a 300, Challenger, Journey or Charger.

When I first explored a summer fun car a few years back, I leased a new 2017 Challenger for 2 years to see if I enjoyed it, I was paying $240 a month with nothing (maybe $500 for first/last month) down, a Mustang lease would have been double that price with a few thousand down payment..
Sponsored