Sponsored

Challenger outsold Mustang again. Worst Mustang sales ever.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Dodge faced the same supply issues, so I don't buy that argument. End of ICE dodges.. end of s550, so that's a wash. Also, how many of those challengers were a V6, I bet it outsold the v-8 10:1, or a least the same ratio that the ecoboost mustangs outsell GT's.
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I would add too that at least at the Dodge dealerships in my area there was always some kind of cash incentive on the Chargers and Challengers in addition to financing rates. And the dealership nearest to me always had some additional discount. From the SXT to the Hellkitten, never saw one listed at or above MSRP. I could’ve gotten a Scat Pack for less than my GT‘s sticker price (I didn’t pay sticker) but I preferred the Mustang experience. Discounts, no matter how small, has an effect on peoples purchasing habits.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Dodge faced the same supply issues, so I don't buy that argument. End of ICE dodges.. end of s550, so that's a wash. Also, how many of those challengers were a V6, I bet it outsold the v-8 10:1, or a least the same ratio that the ecoboost mustangs outsell GT's.
I’d say 8-10:1 is pretty close in my neck of the woods. Way more SXT and GT Chargers and Challengers than RT, Scat and Hellkitty.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
When has anyone seen a Mustang ad on tv?
Ford had a healthy Mustang campaign from the 60s through the early 00’. With the advent of the net they went mainly to online adds. You can research it and find a ton for Mustang tv commercials through that time period.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
And the dealership nearest to me always had some additional discount.
1 ford dealership here has 2 used GT 500's. 1 black w/ CF pack, 1 orange. Black lists for 170k, Orange around 155k. I mean damn.. that's 911 money.

Sponsored

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
1 ford dealership here has 2 used GT 500's. 1 black w/ CF pack, 1 orange. Black lists for 170k, Orange around 155k. I mean damn.. that's 911 money.
That’s damn crazy and yes if I’m looking at a 170K tag I’d open up options to looking at a McLaren or Porsche.

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
I should have clarified in the past decade a mustang tv ad showing off the Mustang as a performance car.

johnnytequila

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 performance blue GT350
Jim Wangers at Pontiac in the 60’s was a big reason the GTO’s sold like hotcakes. Advertising. Dodge simply followed the same recipe. How many high performance Ford ads have you seen on tv? I never seen one but man Dodge was all over the place. It doesn’t make the car better, they just had better salesmen/saleswomen

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Makes some sense. Challengers & Chargers are great cars, loved by all sorts of car enthusiasts. And now they have officially reached their EoL.

It makes sense there are more people out there grabbing the last of these ICE machines before the EVs come out.
Yes, I know I've always liked this body style of Challenger. And the Hellcat engine is awesome. I've been on the road course with a Charger Hellcat, and the power didn't go away in a lap or two like it does with a lot of blown vehicles.

I agree with the last dodge ice, and new mustang being two big reasons. I don't know what a Dodge costs, other than I know a hellcat is expensive. I've never ridden in any dodge muscle, how do they handle? I always assumed poorly...
They are marginally worse than a Mustang in corners and transitions, but unless you are really pushing on a road course or something you probably won't notice a difference in the ability to turn corners. If most of your driving is on the highway and regular roads the Challenger is probably marginally better for those uses. They lay on the road really nicely. That's part of what a heavy vehicle does for you - smooth ride.

The interior is more comfortable than a Mustang and roomier. The pistol-grip shifter is mega cool. And to me the Dodge brand is slightly cooler in general than Ford just due to the history of past cars. Definitely the higher up Fords are awesome, but Mustangs are a lot more common than Challengers, because Ford has sold them since 1965 continuously.

I think EB vs. GT is about 50/50 here in the US, and in Europe it's almost all GTs. I looked for numbers on Challengers but didn't find them. I can tell you the older 5.7 Challenger I drove at one time didn't seem like an improvement over the V6 Mustang I was driving back then.

I think the biggest thing is appearance. The Challenger is better looking than the 2018 and up GT. Yes the Mach is good looking, but it's really expensive and more difficult to find. So Ford made it too hard to buy a decent looking Mustang and they lost sales as a result.

Maybe I'm completely off base about this. I do think the new Mustang design is better looking and the DH is not necessarily better looking than the base cars. So that might help sales. I guess it will depend as well on prices and how good the cars are.

04mazdaspeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
My educated guess is because Ford had more of a supply chain issue than Dodge did. I mean, I never heard of anyone waiting 9 months for a car last year like most of us did for the Mach and Im sure others(bronco, maverick). That all said, its Dodge. I wouldnt buy one if it was half price of a mustang. Never been a fan of them. Never owned one and never will. Im not a Ford fanboy either but FCA(stellantis) just puts out garbage in my opinion.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yes, I know I've always liked this body style of Challenger. And the Hellcat engine is awesome. I've been on the road course with a Charger Hellcat, and the power didn't go away in a lap or two like it does with a lot of blown vehicles.

They are marginally worse than a Mustang in corners and transitions, but unless you are really pushing on a road course or something you probably won't notice a difference in the ability to turn corners. If most of your driving is on the highway and regular roads the Challenger is probably marginally better for those uses. They lay on the road really nicely. That's part of what a heavy vehicle does for you - smooth ride.

The interior is more comfortable than a Mustang and roomier. The pistol-grip shifter is mega cool. And to me the Dodge brand is slightly cooler in general than Ford just due to the history of past cars. Definitely the higher up Fords are awesome, but Mustangs are a lot more common than Challengers, because Ford has sold them since 1965 continuously.

I think EB vs. GT is about 50/50 here in the US, and in Europe it's almost all GTs. I looked for numbers on Challengers but didn't find them. I can tell you the older 5.7 Challenger I drove at one time didn't seem like an improvement over the V6 Mustang I was driving back then.

I think the biggest thing is appearance. The Challenger is better looking than the 2018 and up GT. Yes the Mach is good looking, but it's really expensive and more difficult to find. So Ford made it too hard to buy a decent looking Mustang and they lost sales as a result.

Maybe I'm completely off base about this. I do think the new Mustang design is better looking and the DH is not necessarily better looking than the base cars. So that might help sales. I guess it will depend as well on prices and how good the cars are.
You deserve a ban for having this wrong opinion 😂

My main complaint with the challenger is the thicc dashboard. Like, why does it take up so much of the interior? They also have so much ride height stock, especially the lower trims.

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
I was seriously going to buy a Challenger but the fact that (up here, at least) a Scat Pack nicely optioned was about 10k (CAD) over what I paid for my loaded '22 Premium.

My dad's first new car was a '71 Barracuda and while I've always loved the looks of the new Challengers, I couldn't see how it was worth that much more.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
There was one dealer here that was willing to sell the 500’s at sticker and he sold out his allocation within a few weeks. Most everyone else had/has markups. I’d be willing to pay it, I’m not enamored with Porsche. I understand the appeal and they’re superb track cars but they just don’t do anything for me. The 500 is an angry beast that wants to rip your face off and I just love that. And it sounds fantastic too. I had a chance to drive one this past fall at an HPDE event and it was phenomenal. Only car faster at that event was a GT3RS.

BKoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
My last car was a 2018 Scat Pack Challenger. I've now got about the same miles on my mustang as I did when I got rid of the challenger. If you are not brand loyal, it's honestly just a better fitting car for more people, I mean you can even get awd.

The challenger: more comfortable, larger interior and trunk, felt much faster in everyday use then my mustang feels even after adding the super charger so it was more fun daily, I much preferred the screen and settings function over the mustang, the car was quiet (my mustang interior buzzes and rattles like crazy), held it's value much better, Challenger looks and feels like a muscle car. Nobody hated me for driving one😁

Mustang: actually faster, handles better especially in the rain (lack of low end punch probably a major help), way better aftermarket support and more affordable to modify, engine can handle boost, responds really well to even basic mods, sounds better from the factory, interior looks nicer, insurance is cheaper

20180804_154300.jpg
Sponsored