Sponsored

Challenger outsold Mustang again. Worst Mustang sales ever.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
https://www.thedrive.com/news/dodge...JD7Q7bkVqxm_d0uILBuSO2TsT0GPPtVCaqPbDnb1VX_dk

"It's no secret that Chevy Camaro sales aren't anything to write home about lately, but on a given year the Ford Mustang is usually the top dog when it comes to muscle car sales. In 2021, that wasn't the case, and now that 2022 has come and gone, we know for sure that the trend has continued in Dodge's favor. The Auburn Hills automaker sold 55,060 Challengers last year, up 1% from 2021's sales. By comparison, Ford sold 47,566 Mustangs, a decrease of 9.2%. The Camaro trailed far behind with just 24,652 sold in 2022, although that was an increase of 12.6% versus 2021.
Ford might've been able to catch up if Mustang sales didn't dip so sharply, but they did. In fact, Ford sales as a whole were down 2.1% and the Mustang just had the worst sales year in its history. In comparison, total Dodge sales were even worse, down a mighty 12%, which makes it interesting that the Challenger has been doing so well. It's not like Dodge is an anomaly within FCA, either. The group, which is now a subdivision of Stellantis, saw an overall sales decline of 13%, with the biggest losers being Fiat and Alfa Romeo, which declined 61% and 30%, respectively. Yikes."
Sponsored

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Makes some sense. Challengers & Chargers are great cars, loved by all sorts of car enthusiasts. And now they have officially reached their EoL.

It makes sense there are more people out there grabbing the last of these ICE machines before the EVs come out.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Tons of factors at play here. Supply chain, Pandemic, interest rates going thru the roof, plus the price of cars in general are at an all time high. Not to mention Dodge axing the ICE Challenger so everybody wants one. That said, I LOVE my 22 GT. I guess I am fortunate to be able to get one of the last S550's made. I am not a fan of the new body style at all.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Tons of factors at play here. Supply chain, Pandemic, interest rates going thru the roof, plus the price of cars in general are at an all time high. Not to mention Dodge axing the ICE Challenger so everybody wants one. That said, I LOVE my 22 GT. I guess I am fortunate to be able to get one of the last S550's made. I am not a fan of the new body style at all.
My thoughts exactly, there's just a lot going on in the car world and Mustang world right now, so none of this is really shocking.

Sponsored

luke1333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sierra
same, the new ones look so bad I am shocked at how many people like them

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Until I decided to go convertible, the Challenger was actually what I was looking at. I had concerns about rust in the rear quarters due to the foam Dodge injects there that traps moisture but otherwise I think they are a good option for many, especially those who want a more passenger friendly rear seat.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I think that Dodge advertising campaign is a hit. I don’t see Ford doing a campaign with actual owners or influencers as you see with Dodge.

I have a fire stick with a live tv option and I’ll see about average 2 commercials for Dodge products (showcasing challenger/charger) per show during prime time. That’s a ton of money and it’s apparently paying off.

Can’t remember the last Ford commercial I saw showcasing a Mustang GT500 GT350 and a GT or their owners.

Deleted member 69033

I agree with the last dodge ice, and new mustang being two big reasons. I don't know what a Dodge costs, other than I know a hellcat is expensive. I've never ridden in any dodge muscle, how do they handle? I always assumed poorly...

Sponsored

Mr X

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
If you've been following the S550 tracking threads, many people were struggling getting their ordered mustangs. Quite a few gave up and got used Mustangs instead.

If the cars were available from Ford, I'm sure it would have been a different story.

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
Do these figures include the export production for the S550 Mustang or just the US registrations?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I can believe it. The Mopar cars are coming to an end, so people are scooping them up like never before. Then Ford just announced the new generation S650, which usually means poor sales for it's current generation as most people wait for the new one.

Not making excuses, just thoughts as to why.

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
I think that Dodge advertising campaign is a hit. I don’t see Ford doing a campaign with actual owners or influencers as you see with Dodge.

I have a fire stick with a live tv option and I’ll see about average 2 commercials for Dodge products (showcasing challenger/charger) per show during prime time. That’s a ton of money and it’s apparently paying off.

Can’t remember the last Ford commercial I saw showcasing a Mustang GT500 GT350 and a GT or their owners.
When has anyone seen a Mustang ad on tv?

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I live near a Ford dealer and for the vast majority of 2022 the lot was empty. It's pretty hard to sell cars when you don't have any to sell. I have talked to a couple guys recently with Hellcats and both said they were great cars.
Sponsored