Sponsored

Challenger beats Mustang in sales.........

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Uh, though fairly true, check out the 1971-73 Mustangs. Those things were OBESE!
Yes they were big, porky cars. Larger than I prefer. But the new Mustang weighs more. I would settle for a new Mustang that weighs about the same as a 1971, because I don't think it's realistic to even consider a Mustang that weighs less.

But if the new Mustang weighs about 3,600 lbs - I want that weight to be with a large displacement engine, not a little 5.0. And it should be closer to 3,000 lbs when equipped with the 4 cylinder engine, like the 1971 was with the iron straight 6.
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I had a '71 Mach 1 and yes, it was the largest (dimension-wise) Mustang up to that point, but it only weighed 3200 lbs. My S550 GT weighs 3700 lbs. However, overall exterior dimensions aren't much different and we were able to put 3 people in the back seat (someone small was able to sit on the "hump" in the middle).
Did you pull a bunch of stuff out of your 71? I had two 71 Mach 1’s and they both weighed in at about 36-3700 pounds.

Thesauerchise

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Kia Optima, 2021 Mach 1
The 71 mustang was 400 pounds heavier than the 70. With a 429 cj, in my mind the equivalent comparison I believe it would tip 4,000. I've owned many older cars and the titles were often listed 300-500 pounds lighter than they actually weighed.

I know this because I weighed my 70 Torino cobra, 70 roadrunner, 64 Galaxie, etc. Those 71-73 Mustangs, in Lee Iacocca's words were "pigs".
My fathers 71 Mach is a 429. Great car, love it, but not something I would take to carve up canyon roads. The weight in the front end is punishing.

OP
OP
oneheadlite

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...you guys that have been here since I joined should know that I didn't
like the S550 body style.
Of course I was coming from the '15 Camaro, and it handled waaay better
than the Mustang. I hadn't had a Mustang since 1975.
I kept the Mustang 4 years and after a couple road racing events, I got a
respect for the Mustang.
It was still NOT a Camaro, but it held its own. Never lost a race that I was able to
finish, horse power or handling/driving.

The Challenger, on the other hand was a wallowing pig.
Its only redeeming quality was 485 hp, nothing else. (smokin' tires)
I'm happy to be back in the Mustang. Especially a Black, manual.

The purpose of starting this thread was to notify folk of the fact Challenger had
won the sales quota for the quarter; nothing more.
It was not my intention to offend anyone............................... :idea:

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Did you pull a bunch of stuff out of your 71? I had two 71 Mach 1’s and they both weighed in at about 36-3700 pounds.
No, mine was a base 302-2V engine. I didn't even have a posi on it so had to put a pair of Lakewood traction bars (looked cool with the yellow bars) adjusted so it would spin both tires leaving the line) and replaced the stock 2.79 gears with 3.50 gears. I'm sure if you had the 351C and C6 tranny that could add a few hundred pounds to the weight. I went by the DMV weight on the registration because our state charges reg fees by weight. My 2020 shows 3700 pounds.

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
My fathers 71 Mach is a 429. Great car, love it, but not something I would take to carve up canyon roads. The weight in the front end is punishing.
I can imagine that it was front heavy with that engine. I knew a guy that had the exact same engine in a gray Mach 1. Another buddy of mine had the exact same gray one but with the 351C-4V in it. It felt pretty good with weight distribution with that engine; I suspect for handling that would be the best engine for the car. I have to say though that the current 5.0 puts both to shame, but that's comparing apples to oranges. We can't compare old tech like that to today's stuff; even a 440 Super Bee would be left in the dust by the current GT (stock vs. stock).

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
The 71 mustang was 400 pounds heavier than the 70. With a 429 cj, in my mind the equivalent comparison I believe it would tip 4,000. I've owned many older cars and the titles were often listed 300-500 pounds lighter than they actually weighed.

I know this because I weighed my 70 Torino cobra, 70 roadrunner, 64 Galaxie, etc. Those 71-73 Mustangs, in Lee Iacocca's words were "pigs".
Yeah, I don't know where our DMV got their weight from, I'm assuming from the manufacturer. I don't think they would register a lower weight than it is (if they actually weighed it) because since they charge us by weight, putting a lower number would mean less revenue for the state. I would think they'd fake a higher weight so they could charge us more.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I have a great deal of respect for the Chrysler engineers and designers for creating so many V8 powered Challengers with such a great number of great looking special appearance packages. Chrysler just seems to push performance more than Ford or GM. I like to drive to Dodge dealerships and just appreciate what Chrysler does to create Challengers that look fast. If I was just not so satisfied with the Mustangs I own , I would buy a Challenger in a heartbeat. I can see Why Challengers sell like they do , because they have a strong high performance look. I would like to see Ford take the risk as Chrysler does to bring out so many high performance products as Chrysler does.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)

klink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS, 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT
I have a great deal of respect for the Chrysler engineers and designers for creating so many V8 powered Challengers with such a great number of great looking special appearance packages. Chrysler just seems to push performance more than Ford or GM. I like to drive to Dodge dealerships and just appreciate what Chrysler does to create Challengers that look fast. If I was just not so satisfied with the Mustangs I own , I would buy a Challenger in a heartbeat. I can see Why Challengers sell like they do , because they have a strong high performance look. I would like to see Ford take the risk as Chrysler does to bring out so many high performance products as Chrysler does.
THIS.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6

klink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Camaro SS, 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT
Not to mention it’s timeless classic good looks.
in the end, that exact reason is what swayed me towards this purchase.
Thanks so much.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
in the end, that exact reason is what swayed me towards this purchase.
Thanks so much.
She’s a beauty. I’ll never forget the first time I saw the new challenger in orange at a new car event show back in 2008. I was amazed. We now have a 2019 F8 Green SXT+ which I really like a lot and is cared for accordingly.
Sponsored

Last edited: