Sponsored

Challenge: reduce revs for that first 20 sec of startup?

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
DM Wengerd with your setup and he will take care of you. Highly recommended!
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Funny. I always thought my start ups were loud. I only drive my car on weekends and I also travel a lot. When I get back at least 2 of my neighbors tell me they miss hearing me leave my garage. They talk cars with me from time to time, so I would think they are being honest lol. There are Harleys and other loud cars in my neighborhood, so I am not overly concerned with the loud starts. I do drive in 2nd and low rpm in the neighborhood though, out of respect. There is a four lane dragstrip (errr highway) that you turn off of to enter the neighborhood and I have been told they do know when I am coming home.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
The 5.0 starts like a gunshot. That gunshot noise can’t be fixed with a tune and is the most offensive part IMO. It’s also the noise best fixed with the resonator.

Even with stock exhaust, I basically let out the clutch immediately to get the revs down and the hell away from my peaceful and boring suburbia. I recommend a similar strategy.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I thought I was the only one that associated the start up with gunshot.

The 5.0 starts like a gunshot. That gunshot noise can’t be fixed with a tune and is the most offensive part IMO. It’s also the noise best fixed with the resonator.

Even with stock exhaust, I basically let out the clutch immediately to get the revs down and the hell away from my peaceful and boring suburbia. I recommend a similar strategy.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The 5.0 starts like a gunshot.
Let me introduce you to the camaro ss active mode startup. It goes to full track mode and makes the stock coyote flee in terror at the initial bark. It's downright uncivilized.

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
That i why they are heated.
It is to blow off the moisture ASAP. as start up is when emissions are the dirtiest . they want the sensor reading correctly asap. and why the higher rpm start up, then drop.
Finally someone explained it. I couldn't get a good answer from several tuners about the fast idle at cold start up. The ol Terminator would throttle down to 750 rpm after just 10 to 15 secs, and cols start idle was 1000. This car took some getting used to.

OP
OP
MicksS550

MicksS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mick
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 Mustang GT
Funny. I always thought my start ups were loud. I only drive my car on weekends and I also travel a lot. When I get back at least 2 of my neighbors tell me they miss hearing me leave my garage. They talk cars with me from time to time, so I would think they are being honest lol. There are Harleys and other loud cars in my neighborhood, so I am not overly concerned with the loud starts. I do drive in 2nd and low rpm in the neighborhood though, out of respect. There is a four lane dragstrip (errr highway) that you turn off of to enter the neighborhood and I have been told they do know when I am coming home.
Thanks for the reply. m3incorp - unfortunately, I posted due to feedback from neighbours already saying my starts are too loud. On the road, they can't complain, and once it stops screaming its head off in those first 20 seconds, it settles to a beat much like any other v8 in the area, and I can easily keep the revs low to keep it quiet. It's just that first 20 sec...which as I understand it I can sort out via a custom tune...except that I'm in Australia and it takes FORVER to deliver anything here from the States at the moment...(such as an HP Tuner etc).

Lightknight0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

You just have to find a way to lodge the foam noodle in there such that it won't completely block air flow and doesn't fly out the moment you start the car. But if you can get that done, it does quiet it down enough for the initial start. Then you can quickly pull it out, toss it somewhere in your garage and then roll out. Try not to leave them in for too long or if your exhaust is already hot (because it'll melt... I absolutely do not have some melted foam bits inside the exhaust...lol)

I only really do this if I need to go somewhere really late or super early in the morning haha.

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
I did something similar with pool noodle and micro fibers and it does work. Even with the active exhaust in quiet mode it can bark pretty loud unless you power on and wait a bit before start so the valves close up.

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have been leaving my e-brake pulled up and releasing the clutch pedal just a little bit and this will reduce the rpms enough that i can let it go after the first 20-30 seconds and it has made the cold starts much more tolerable. Someone please tell me if this will harm my mustang with continued use lol

Sponsored

Lightknight0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have been leaving my e-brake pulled up and releasing the clutch pedal just a little bit and this will reduce the rpms enough that i can let it go after the first 20-30 seconds and it has made the cold starts much more tolerable. Someone please tell me if this will harm my mustang with continued use lol
Are you in first gear when you do that? I don't think it'll harm your car, but I think slipping your clutch like that will cause additional wear on the clutch, especially if you're lowering your RPMs by slipping it continuously for 20-30 seconds every morning. If it were me, I'd probably find another solution. Autos have it slightly easier, since they can throw it into reverse immediately and the RPMs will drop immediately.

I did something similar with pool noodle and micro fibers and it does work. Even with the active exhaust in quiet mode it can bark pretty loud unless you power on and wait a bit before start so the valves close up.
Waiting a bit doesn't seem to affect my car much if it is already set to start in quiet mode. I assumed that if I turn acc on first and then change the exhaust options while in acc mode before starting the car (you can hear the valves move from their fully open position), it would make it quieter, but it doesn't. Doing the above actually overrides quiet start so that it is in normal mode when I crank the car.

At least when using remote start, when the car is set up to start in quiet mode, it actually closes the valve right before starting so I assume it does the same thing when I actually go into the car and start it up. So this is the quietest my car will be unless I modify the exhaust again or use the noodles. Once I'm out of the neighborhood, I'm golden, open those things right up haha.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Please don’t use your clutch like this. Clutch replacements are expensive.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
I start my car with the garage door down, one finger in the start button, the other hand on the garage opener. But only when I have to leave before 8 AM.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I love the new feature for quiet hours! Set that baby and she starts up like a kitten. As soon as I leave my neighborhood, flip it to MyMode and its set to sport exhaust. You can hear the difference immediately. She's stock for now...but an H-Pipe and CAI will be on eventually.