Sponsored

Challenge: reduce revs for that first 20 sec of startup?

MicksS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mick
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 Mustang GT
Hi all. I've been scouring the web and this site, but I can't for the life of me find any info on how to reduce the revs on the first 20 seconds of my cold startup...

I have headers, a cross pipe and a 2.5" exhaust which I think sounds fantastic (although at 5am the neighbours don't - and I kinda' don't blame them....). I don't have a "Quiet mode", since it's a 2016 GT, and I really want to avoid putting a resonator back in, and losing some of that amazing sound.

It's just that first 20 seconds when starting from a cold start...

So my question is: is this cold start behaviour changable?

I have FORScan, and I've ordered an "OBDLink EX FORScan OBD Adapter". Can I make a change with that? Am I better off trying to get an nGauge and requesting a Custom tune (with the change associated with "Normal" driving mode, for example?). Any help woulld be REALLY appreciated all
Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
From what I recall, several tuners can provide a cold start tune that reduces revs upon cold start so it is possible.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
keep the garage door closed. Or don't sit idling in your driveway - roll immediately. Construct a end-cap for the exhaust, say PVC and a heavy towel that is easy to install/remove.

Park down the street with your car angled to send sound in a harmless direction.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
The higher rpm is there for a reason, to blow off any moisture on the o2 sensors.
Electric cut outs that you push a button are a thing.
If I didn't have active (adjustable) exhaust, I'd have quite mufflers that still flowed ok, and then a button .

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
idk if it can be done via forscan but definitely can be done in the tune.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The higher rpm is there for a reason, to blow off any moisture on the o2 sensors.
actually it's to get the O2 and CATs up to temp. Moisture will leave on it's own. They don't work when cold.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
actually it's to get the O2 and CATs up to temp. Moisture will leave on it's own. They don't work when cold.
That i why they are heated.
It is to blow off the moisture ASAP. as start up is when emissions are the dirtiest . they want the sensor reading correctly asap. and why the higher rpm start up, then drop.

OP
OP
MicksS550

MicksS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mick
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 Mustang GT
From what I recall, several tuners can provide a cold start tune that reduces revs upon cold start so it is possible.
Thanks LOL WUT - I figure the next challenge may be getting my hands on a tuner.... They appear to be sold out (and backorder) almost everywhere for the nGuage. I'd go with others, but I'm not sure if they're any good....

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
Thanks LOL WUT - I figure the next challenge may be getting my hands on a tuner.... They appear to be sold out (and backorder) almost everywhere for the nGuage. I'd go with others, but I'm not sure if they're any good....
company who makes the ngauge is out of business now so it won’t be off back order. Find another device or a used one but then when it breaks your SOL

Sponsored
OP
OP
MicksS550

MicksS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mick
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 Mustang GT
keep the garage door closed. Or don't sit idling in your driveway - roll immediately. Construct a end-cap for the exhaust, say PVC and a heavy towel that is easy to install/remove.

Park down the street with your car angled to send sound in a harmless direction.
You're absolutely right shogun32, but I don't have those options available to me. Firstly, my parking space is on a car stacker, and it's angled down at the front - I need to let the car warm up at least a little before attempting to get out (so I can't roll down any hill etc). Also, to make matters worse, the garage is enclosed - I share it with 9 appartments/neighbours, and it's the *perfect* echo chamber :-(
I tried a variation of the "towel in the exhaust".... In fact, I have a Harley too, and I (of course) changed the exhaust on that. The standard mufflers fit in my pipes, so with a rubber flange I've found, I can jam them in before startup...just to get through that initial 20 seconds... It's still pretty loud though - especially first thing in the morning

Attached are a few pictures to illustrate (and amuse?)

exhaust.jpg

IMG-6926.jpg

IMG-6925.jpg

OP
OP
MicksS550

MicksS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mick
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 Mustang GT
Electric cut outs that you push a button are a thing.
If I didn't have active (adjustable) exhaust, I'd have quite mufflers that still flowed ok, and then a button .
Thanks ICU812 - I didn't know that about the sensors... Makes sense

Wengerd Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wengerdperformance.com
First Name
Derel
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Whipple 15 Mustang GT TT 18 F150 VMP ODIN
OP
OP
MicksS550

MicksS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mick
Vehicle(s)
MY2017 Mustang GT
company who makes the ngauge is out of business now so it won’t be off back order. Find another device or a used one but then when it breaks your SOL
Thanks kluke16 - good to know. Looks like a tune might be my best way forward with the least hassle…
Sponsored