Sponsored

Ceratec before or after winter storage oil change?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I couldn't find anything definitive on this. I just parked my car for the winter and will be changing the oil this weekend. This will be the engines first oil change with only 2500 miles on it. I have 2 bottles of Ceratec and 10 quarts of Penzoil full synthetic 5W30.

Should I add the Ceratec to the fresh oil now? Or add it in the spring when the car will be driven and the Ceratec can work its way around the engine? My gut is telling me the latter makes more sense.

Should I add 1 or 2 bottles? Or one bottle this year and one next year at my next oil change?
Sponsored

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I couldn't find anything definitive on this. I just parked my car for the winter and will be changing the oil this weekend. This will be the engines first oil change with only 2500 miles on it. I have 2 bottles of Ceratec and 10 quarts of Penzoil full synthetic 5W30.

Should I add the Ceratec to the fresh oil now? Or add it in the spring when the car will be driven and the Ceratec can work its way around the engine? My gut is telling me the latter makes more sense.

Should I add 1 or 2 bottles? Or one bottle this year and one next year at my next oil change?
Ceratec is in my coyote year round. So 1 bottle every oil change to keep the bad sounds at bay. If the car is stored and you already did the oil change, throw a bottle of it in and let the engine sit and idle for 10 minutes or so and it will circulate thru and start doing its thing. Just don't be shocked at what it looks like, it almost looks like a bad milkshake.

BleedNBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 2018 Toyota 4Runner ORP; 2007 Sea Ray 270 SLX
Vehicle Showcase

I am going to be the guy that derails this thread.... Running 5W30 do you need to add any Ceratec? After reading many threads on the subject it seems 5W20 should get the Ceratec?

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I am going to be the guy that derails this thread.... Running 5W30 do you need to add any Ceratec? After reading many threads on the subject it seems 5W20 should get the Ceratec?
I won't speak for him or your question to him, but I run T6 Rotella 5W40 in my coyote w/Ceratec...I wouldn't change what I'm doing for anything...mine purrs smooth like a newborn kitten, only sounds I hear are injectors and the pump.

Sponsored

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
I would add it in the spring when you start driving the car regularly. Not sure if it can fall out of suspension during a period of inactivity, but I’d rather play it safe.

I only used half a bottle in my 2017 and the BBQ tick completely went away.

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I would add it in the spring when you start driving the car regularly. Not sure if it can fall out of suspension during a period of inactivity, but I’d rather play it safe.

I only used half a bottle in my 2017 and the BBQ tick completely went away.
This makes sense. The Ceratec needs to be shaken quite a bit and I think it makes sense to keep it moving around the engine until it has had a chance to bond everywhere.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Add it after. It needs time & heat to work, so putting it in before you let it sit for months is not going to help.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I was reading up on Ceratec a bit and I read something about it can pool or settle in the oil pan on vehicles not driven often so I would wait if I were you. I don't know if that's true but it makes sense to me it could be. I'm in a similar boat I'm at 6000 km (3900ish miles) and my car is going in for its first oil change in another week or 2 before I put it away like yours for the winter. I typically put my car into my garage for the long sleep about December 1st depending on the weather.

Last year we got snow a month before that so it went away early and stayed there. That was a Camaro SS btw this is the first year for the GT. I'm going to see if my car ticks after the first oil change before I decide on any Ceratec but it seems most do it so I don't have much hope mine won't LOL.

Where did you buy yours here in Canada? I see it on Amazon but not really anywhere else.

Last edited:

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP

if you add ceratec for bbq tick prevention then I'd suggest adding some before the oil change and also have some miles on it.

Since a lot of owners get the tick after the oil change, there must be something in the oil change process itself that causes it. Like short term oil starvation or so.

If you read reasons why mos2 was invented, and liquimoly claims caratec as better incarnation of mos2, then you'll see benefits of having ceratec in oil before you replace it.

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I will always have some ceratec in my oil from now on, so I would say add atleast 1 bottle now and go for a drive. Ceratec seems to work immediately in my experience.

Tapping goes away from 1 bottle in my experience. 10 qts and 1 bottle of ceratec and you are at the full line. You can add another bottle after a few thousand miles if you want.

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I was reading up on Ceratec a bit and I read something about it can pool or settle in the oil pan on vehicles not driven often so I would wait if I were you. I don't know if that's true but it makes sense to me it could be. I'm in a similar boat I'm at 6000 km (3900ish miles) and my car is going in for its first oil change in another week or 2 before I put it away like yours for the winter. I typically put my car into my garage for the long sleep about December 1st depending on the weather.

Last year we got snow a month before that so it went away early and stayed there. That was a Camaro SS btw this is the first year for the GT. I'm going to see if my car ticks after the first oil change before I decide on any Ceratec but it seems most do it so I don't have much hope mine won't LOL.

Where did you buy yours here in Canada? I see it on Amazon but not really anywhere else.
I bought my Ceratec from Amazon.ca: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01KGHA43Y/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_3p_dp_1
2 bottles $54 + shipping.

I will add the Ceratec in the spring when I can drive the car. The temperatures are getting too cold for the Pilot Sport 4S tires. I informed my insurance that it is off the road Nov until April. Got a huge discount doing that.

My car doesn't make any obnoxious noises. It purrs once it's warmed up after few minutes (knock on wood). So for me, adding Ceratec is more about preventative maintenance and extending engine life, rather than trying to reduce any noise that may or may not be there. If it happens to make the engine more quiet then great. But that is secondary.

Got the oil changed on the weekend and put in the Ronin valve. Next time will be even easier.

When will April get here? :frown:

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I bought my Ceratec from Amazon.ca: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01KGHA43Y/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_3p_dp_1
2 bottles $54 + shipping.

I will add the Ceratec in the spring when I can drive the car. The temperatures are getting too cold for the Pilot Sport 4S tires. I informed my insurance that it is off the road Nov until April. Got a huge discount doing that.

My car doesn't make any obnoxious noises. It purrs once it's warmed up after few minutes (knock on wood). So for me, adding Ceratec is more about preventative maintenance and extending engine life, rather than trying to reduce any noise that may or may not be there. If it happens to make the engine more quiet then great. But that is secondary.

Got the oil changed on the weekend and put in the Ronin valve. Next time will be even easier.

When will April get here? :frown:
I didn't realize the PP1 had those tires so yeah they wouldn't be good in the cold . Mine has the Pzero Nero All Seasons so they are working fine in these temps so far but my window is closing soon too. Mine has the 2500 RPM rattle (DI pump?) but no ticks yet. So fingers crossed on that one. I'm hoping I can take it to Newmarket to visit my mom in the next week or 2 but the forecasts are getting sketchy looking for a muscle/pony car:thumbsdown:

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I didn't realize the PP1 had those tires so yeah they wouldn't be good in the cold . Mine has the Pzero Nero All Seasons so they are working fine in these temps so far but my window is closing soon too. Mine has the 2500 RPM rattle (DI pump?) but no ticks yet. So fingers crossed on that one. I'm hoping I can take it to Newmarket to visit my mom in the next week or 2 but the forecasts are getting sketchy looking for a muscle/pony car:thumbsdown:
It was a challenge getting any good driving weather this October. With either the rain or the cold I was monitoring the weather way more than I would have liked. Basically anytime the temps dropped below 10 C or it was raining, the Mustang was grounded. They don't recommend moving the car if the tires have been 5 C or colder.

Good luck on the trip. It's dipping below zero next week. As long as we don't get any snow you should be good.
Sponsored