Ceramic coating is šŸ”„

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Interesting. I had to look up TSI02 to realize the "T" stood for Titanium. In regards to a coating the only one I was able to find was this from South Africa.
https://glautierdetail.co.za/ocart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=63
They also have a coating with Graphene. It is a certified installer product only.

Honestly I believe that most of the "names" are for marketing only reasons. I truly doubt that there is really much difference between them. Now there is a difference between ceramic detail sprays (regardless of what is in them) and consumer/professional applications. The main difference is longevity. There is certainly nothing wrong with the sprays as I use Gyeon Ceramic Detailer. But my base is Gyeon Duraflex (detailer applied) which was applied 3 1/2 years ago. I maintain it with Gyeon Bathe+ (SI02) and the detailer. It still beads water almost as good as the day I brought it home.
I would agree with you, a lot of these companies likely use very similar formulas for their coatings. The ones that claim 5+ years probably use a different technology that gives them a slightly higher pencil hardness for durability (usually a little less working time when applying so a little more difficult for the novice) and some probably tweak their formulas so they are more DIY friendly. The ones that have been in the game for a while do typically make detailers/toppers that are designed to work with their coatings to give the best possible combination of gloss & slickness and durability, but Iā€™m sure at some level theyā€™re all compatible with each other.
Sponsored

Doc Holladay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 Lariat; 2020 Subaru Forester
You can write a book on this ceramic coating. Some so called auto detail experts will say greatest innovation ever. Others will say doesnā€˜t last but 3 to 5 months. The detailer I use has 4 panels in his garage using 4 different waxes all washed every two weeks for 4 months and of course one of the panels is ceramic Wax. one of the panels is Jay Leno, one is Last Coat and not sure what the other one is. Anyway, if you look at the panels only one looks like it has no shine and the others look pretty much the same. So, the bottom line, my Detailer uses something other than ceramic unless you ask for it.

WV millwright

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2018 F 150 2017 Escape
The installer makes as much of a difference as anything on ceramic coatings. A couple of the shops around me tell you a few hours to get it done. I don't use those. Lol. My guy takes 2 days to do a full ceramic coat including trim, glass, engine and wheels. He does full paint correction, clay bar, buff, then cleans and applies the ceramic coatings to all surfaces. He also includes a complimentary maintenance wash and refresh every 6 months for as long as you own the vehicle. So for about $1000, I'd say it's a pretty good deal. His attention to detail excellent.

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
I'm sold...at least on Enviroshield ceramic coating. Supposed to last two years and I have no reason to doubt that. I find bird bombs and bugs easily wipe off. I haven't "waxed" a car in years. The last time I. used one of my buffers was when the Interceptor arrived as the hood needed a light buff.

Here's my '22 with Duragloss Enviroshield. I've put this on about every car we have. Always pleased with Duragloss products.
IMG_0706.JPG

Sponsored

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I had my Bullitt done by a local shop after a few months of ownership. They insisted the paint needed to be 'reconditioned'--or similar word--due to micro-scratching (even 'microfiber' cloths can do this). I suspect, if the paint isn't near-perfect the coating will bring out the scratches. The shop had three levels of coating--not counting the initial buff-out--roughly, $1,000, $2,000 and $3,000 with commensurate 'guarantees' (probably based on number of coats; I went with the mid-level). Since, I've only washed with pressure washer and foamer, and the softest mitts available. I see the shop I used now has products (they might be franchised--NFI):

https://ceramicgarage.com/

Anybody used the DIY stuff? Results?

Edit: Next topic: graphene vs. ceramic (yes, this guy is 'talking his book'--again, NFI):

https://ethoscarcare.com/blogs/diy-car-detailing/ceramic-coatings-vs-graphene-coatings

Last edited:

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
As a recent wax-to-ceramic convertee, this stuff is amazing even on the DIY level.
Even the cheaper kits last so much longer than wax, it can be applied to any surface so no more wax stains on plastics, and its hydrophobic nature makes washing a breeze.
Honestly, I don't know why wax even exists anymore.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I had my Bullitt done by a local shop after a few months of ownership. They insisted the paint needed to be 'reconditioned'--or similar word--due to micro-scratching (even 'microfiber' cloths can do this). I suspect, if the paint isn't near-perfect the coating will bring out the scratches. The shop had three levels of coating--not counting the initial buff-out--roughly, $1,000, $2,000 and $3,000 with commensurate 'guarantees' (probably based on number of coats; I went with the mid-level). Since, I've only washed with pressure washer and foamer, and the softest mitts available. I see the shop I used now has products (they might be franchised--NFI):

https://ceramicgarage.com/

Anybody used the DIY stuff? Results?

Edit: Next topic: graphene vs. ceramic (yes, this guy is 'talking his book'--again, NFI):

https://ethoscarcare.com/blogs/diy-car-detailing/ceramic-coatings-vs-graphene-coatings
I used the Ethos Matrix Advanced V2 and itā€™s fantastic. Washing the car is much easier, a lot of the dirt comes right with just a spray down with a foam cannon and rinse. Application of the coating isnā€™t difficult, just takes time.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
LOL Mags I can see your balls clear as day in that ceramic coating.

šŸ‘
I wish she wouldā€™ve picked a different color because black is so hard to keep clean. But itā€™s her favorite color. And black does look so very good when itā€™s clean.
Sponsored