Sponsored

Ceramic Coating (Detail shop or by myself)?

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
The PH of dawn dishwashing detergent is in the neutral range of 7-8 and won't hurt a clear coat. It's also not abrasive and won't scratch your clear coat. You're likely to scratch things more through normal washing from rubbing in dirt and contaminants. I don't think that anyone is talking about using it all the time, simply to clean off the surface including thin wax coatings to get down to the clear coat.... to further clean and then polish it out.

People are talking about spraying Iron off to remove the iron particles from brake dust as part of the correction process for the paint ... a far harsher chemical than dawn dish soap.

Brought to you by The Last Coat comes Iron Off, our heavy-duty professional-strength iron remover and wheel cleaner which can also be used to decontaminate painted surfaces, glass, and more. (Do not use on raw aluminum, Iron Off could etch it.)

Dawn mixed with water isn't going to etch metals or dry out rubber seals from a wash. While there may be specially marketed products for the process, it doesn't necessarily mean that anything otherwise is bad.
Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
The PH of dawn dishwashing detergent is in the neutral range of 7-8 and won't hurt a clear coat. It's also not abrasive and won't scratch your clear coat. You're likely to scratch things more through normal washing from rubbing in dirt and contaminants. I don't think that anyone is talking about using it all the time, simply to clean off the surface including thin wax coatings to get down to the clear coat.... to further clean and then polish it out.

People are talking about spraying Iron off to remove the iron particles from brake dust as part of the correction process for the paint ... a far harsher chemical than dawn dish soap.

Brought to you by The Last Coat comes Iron Off, our heavy-duty professional-strength iron remover and wheel cleaner which can also be used to decontaminate painted surfaces, glass, and more. (Do not use on raw aluminum, Iron Off could etch it.)

Dawn mixed with water isn't going to etch metals or dry out rubber seals from a wash. While there may be specially marketed products for the process, it doesn't necessarily mean that anything otherwise is bad.

Iron OFF is chemically designed for paint. Dawn soap is not. Can it be used? Sure but why give the headache when there are products that do better and are designed for paint. If you want to use Dawn, all power to you. I will stick to quality car care products.

Oryx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
how is it chemically designed for paint?

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
how is it chemically designed for paint?
The product was marketed/designed for use on vehicle wheels and paint work. No where on Dawn Dish soap does it say it is formulated for cars. Its called dish soap, not car soap

Sponsored

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
Any quality detailer will never use dish soap. No need to be cheap. And I agree, jesus please help the ignorant.
The thread started out with one guy asking what to do about one car....his own. Not a fleet, not a detailer either. Using Dawn only on occation will remove many contaminants that car shampoo don't. Combine that with Clay Bar and Iron remover will result in a clean surface. The most likely next stet is compound with a cutting pad and you are on your way to an outstanding paint shine

No, I really couldn't be bothered. Its an online forum, relax bud. You do you and I will do me.
I figured as much. You Bay Area Boyz will learn zero with an attitude like that. So be it lizard man.

Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
The thread started out with one guy asking what to do about one car....his own. Not a fleet, not a detailer either. Using Dawn only on occation will remove many contaminants that car shampoo don't. Combine that with Clay Bar and Iron remover will result in a clean surface. The most likely next stet is compound with a cutting pad and you are on your way to an outstanding paint shine

I figured as much. You Bay Area Boyz will learn zero with an attitude like that. So be it lizard man.
And I gave my opinion. Use an actual strip soap meant for a car surface, not to clean your Christmas dinner plate. I am not saying dawn wont do anything. It will clean and strip waxes. But the lack lubricity of it will only raise your chances of scratching the paint, resulting in more work during the correction stage. Plus it leaves a thick residue, so it needs to be rinsed off very well.

And I am not the typical bay area boy. My political beliefs do not fall in line with the majority here. If by learning you mean to use a soap that no car detailer would recommend using even if you are a weekend warrior let alone a professional, then sure I will never learn. I would rather just not give my number out to a stranger on the internet :bandit: