Sponsored

Ceramic Coating (Detail shop or by myself)?

got_stanged

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, Shadow Black, 401A, Performance package, Active Exhaust & Enhanced Security
Hi Everyone, is it recommended to ceramic coat from a detail shop or is this something I can do by myself in my garage? Any advice is helpful. Thank you. I have no prior experience in hand washing my cars
Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Applying a ceramic coating is a last step of a detailing process (correct washing technique, decontamination, paint correction, then coating). If you’ve never even washed a car before then take it somewhere. Lots of good detailing videos online (ex Ammo NYC). Applying a coating is definitely something that can be done as a DIY, but you aren’t ready.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Curious about this too. Local shop wants 1k.....not gonna happen.
Seems to be a good diy'r project for less coin and & quality 1 on 1 time ;)

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Curious about this too. Local shop wants 1k.....not gonna happen.
Seems to be a good diy'r project for less coin and & quality 1 on 1 time ;)
That $1,000 also includes the wash, clay, paint correction, other surface preparation, materials and labor. The actual coating is the easy part. What you’re actually paying for is a labor intensive service.

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just did ceramic on mine two weeks ago, and came out great. My car only has 2,500 miles on it, so paint is practically new to start and no correction required, just polish to make it pop.

The prep work was the real effort. All together took m better part of whole weekend.

Wash with foam cannon and microfiber mitt.
Spray down with IronX, and then wash again with mitt and foam cannon
Clay bar entire car
Polished paint
Wipe off polish oil with Carpro Eraser
2 x CQuartz UK 3.0
1 x Carpro Gliss (makes it crazy slick)

Last weekend I did all trim with DLUX, and leather with Carpro Leather. Amazing what a quality product does in comparison to cheaper ones. Trim looks slick and wet, but is dry to the touch, and slick for easy clean. Leather is soft, not greasy, and looks better than when I picked it up.

If a detailed is going to use top quality products, $1,000 isn’t bad for the amount of work involved. Products above that I used were probably $250, and two days of work.

Sponsored

Horseplay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 401A Magne-Ride Recaro show stopper red
The hard part isn’t necessarily the ceramic coating; it’s the detailing required beforehand. It’s back-breaking work and takes a long time.

It’s also hard to find a shop that shares my obsessive-compulsive attention to detail. It’s a learning curve, but if you really trust the people doing the work, it’s worth the money.

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The hard part isn’t necessarily the ceramic coating; it’s the detailing required beforehand. It’s back-breaking work and takes a long time.

It’s also hard to find a shop that shares my obsessive-compulsive attention to detail.
Exactly. The ceramic 2 coats took probably 3h total, but the prep was a day and a half.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Well...I cut polished my Black Stang 4yrs ago... then did the entire prep..then the application...then the Reload the next day! For me... a 4-5 day process...remember, once the Ceramic is applied...use Reload the next day..then let it sit for 24hrs!!! So ya... PREP TIME and LABOR is what you are paying for!! Worth it for the novice who has no DA Polisher or products...

20ducks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg G.
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Rapid Red
Vehicle Showcase
Well...I cut polished my Black Stang 4yrs ago... then did the entire prep..then the application...then the Reload the next day! For me... a 4-5 day process...remember, once the Ceramic is applied...use Reload the next day..then let it sit for 24hrs!!! So ya... PREP TIME and LABOR is what you are paying for!! Worth it for the novice who has no DA Polisher or products...
Agreed. I'm a little confused about your comment: "Worth it for the novice who has no DA polisher of products.". Surely you aren't suggesting one can achieve corrected paint without a polisher and products are you?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I had a friend do mine for $400. Amazing work!

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
What you can do is get a spray on hybrid ceramic.

Wash the car with dawn dish soap. Then wash with a ceramic prep. Then follow the directions on the ceramic hybrid bottle. Put it in the garage over night, best to let it sit 24 hours. Then hit it with Nufinish or someother long lasting wax. This will stop the water spotting.

The paint will look like it is 6 feet deep from about 3 feet away.

Horseplay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 401A Magne-Ride Recaro show stopper red
What you can do is get a spray on hybrid ceramic.

Wash the car with dawn dish soap. Then wash with a ceramic prep. Then follow the directions on the ceramic hybrid bottle. Put it in the garage over night, best to let it sit 24 hours. Then hit it with Nufinish or someother long lasting wax. This will stop the water spotting.

The paint will look like it is 6 feet deep from about 3 feet away.
-Do not wash your car with dish soap.
-Dish soap is not for cars.
-Your car does not want to be washed with dish soap.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Why not? It strips off all the wax and grease. That is what you want if you are going to coat it.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Why not? It strips off all the wax and grease. That is what you want if you are going to coat it.
not in a million years.... CR Pro Eraser and their products and others.. do,the perfect job! I agree Dawn is the magic for a lot of things.,,no..not cars!! Nowhere near them!!

6FE1D4A5-5DF4-4E35-B985-2440A7FF90F1.jpeg

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I agree with NO dish soap...never. Another thing to consider is do you have a garage to do it in and leave it in for the 24 hours it needs to sit. Ceramic coating is not an outdoor job. Coating the car is not hard, its all the prep that is. Your coating will only be as good as the surface you put it on. It's not for covering up imperfections.
Sponsored