Sponsored

?? Centri Owners Who DID-NOT do OPG/CS

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
It will consistently be the retailers who will recommend you to replace your oil pump gears.
Absolutely. They are posting scare tactic information so they can pull the $32 in profit they make off of selling you a set of OPGs, right out of your wallet.....

The reality is OPGs break every now and again. It's up to you if it's necessary to be proactive or reactive.
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I didnt do OPGS but I am whippled not centri. Not sure why sc type matters. I rev the hell out of my car every day too 8k+ rpm. No probs in 20k miles at 800 rwhp

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Absolutely. They are posting scare tactic information so they can pull the $32 in profit they make off of selling you a set of OPGs, right out of your wallet.....

The reality is OPGs break every now and again. It's up to you if it's necessary to be proactive or reactive.
Like wearing a rubber. Do you have to? No.
But are you willing or able to suffer the consequences?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
So saying "I'm just not going to bounce off the rev limiter" is kind like saying "I'll just pull out".
Worked for me for 35 years. :). Gotta do it right. LOL.

Sponsored

Daryl333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So saying "I'm just not going to bounce off the rev limiter" is kind like saying "I'll just pull out".
I blew up my 3V playing on the rev limiter. If people have means I would definately suggest buying them.
Which is why I just bought Boundary OPGs and CS the other day.

20230123_162223~2.jpg

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I blew up my 3V playing on the rev limiter. If people have means I would definately suggest buying them.
Which is why I just bought Boundary OPGs and CS the other day.

20230123_162223~2.jpg
I don't bounce the limiter but I probably kiss it at least once a day. Usually in the morning when my tires are cold. Stock opgs and 81k on the car.

I also never wrapped it when I was young and only ended up with one surprise kid right out of high school. 🤣

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
l've never had OPG/CS, mostly road race, drag every now and then. I drive my car hard like I stole it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
From what I've seen it's usually people who use a 2 step or ride the limiter who have problems.

I also don't trust the aftermarket gears. Make sure you measure them before install. Since Ford stopped making the performance gears I would probably swap to the predator pump and gears. I've yet to hear of these breaking.

If I did do boundry ect.... I would check them at 10,000 mile intervals or 40 runs. I've seen too many galled.

Hostil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have a centri, bought the TSS OPG and CS just in case. Gonna have these installed hopefully this spring.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Predator gears are also powdered metal but they are wider. My guess is they are a higher grade base metal too.

BigD94

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - PP1 - Manual
From what I've seen it's usually people who use a 2 step or ride the limiter who have problems.

I also don't trust the aftermarket gears. Make sure you measure them before install. Since Ford stopped making the performance gears I would probably swap to the predator pump and gears. I've yet to hear of these breaking.

If I did do boundry ect.... I would check them at 10,000 mile intervals or 40 runs. I've seen too many galled.
Kinda wild how after all these years there's still no final verdict on this issue.

Stock gears break because of 2 steps? hitting limiter? high HP? certain types of FI?

But even if you go aftermarket gears, they can be insanely out of spec and may also break......

At this point I think I just wanna ride dirty on stock gears and put the engine's life in the hands of the Lord.

jon.smith76063

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX Hatch, 1994 Cobra, 2020 Roush Stage 3
Kinda wild how after all these years there's still no final verdict on this issue.

Stock gears break because of 2 steps? hitting limiter? high HP? certain types of FI?

But even if you go aftermarket gears, they can be insanely out of spec and may also break......

At this point I think I just wanna ride dirty on stock gears and put the engine's life in the hands of the Lord.
Exactly what I've been screaming for years.