DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I made over 1000whp on my Centri setup on my 2019. Made over 75 passes, 5000 miles of driving, most of the passes were low 9s, and a few in the high 8s, no issues. The OPG issue is overblown and pushed by parts sellers.
Great Power and passes.
** I do Have a Question for others:
Are their any documented cases of people who have replaced their OEM OPG in which the new ones had failed?
Sponsored

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
OK, this thread has me freaked out.

I have to change from a Gen 1/2 style oil pump to a Gen 3 style with the pickup built into the oil pan. It is required to make my oil pan setup work for my AWD conversion.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/awd-2017-mustang-gt-conversion.170460/

I already purchased a 2018+ oil pump fully assembled with Boundary Oil pump gears and their bullet crank sprocket.

If I can, should I return it and just install a stock Gen 3 oil pump or Get TSS or Accufab gears?

Thanks

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
Great Power and passes.
** I do Have a Question for others:
Are their any documented cases of people who have replaced their OEM OPG in which the new ones had failed?
I was under the impression that more aftermarket OPGs have failed than stock ones. That could be due to the stock ones being more reliable or due to people with aftermarket OPGs beating their cars harder.

Heres aftermarket gears from mmr failing in a thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mmr-opgs.156369/

Heres a thread with the same question almost:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...k-causing-engine-damage-under-900-whp.158240/

Lots of differing opinions on replacing oem gears and weather or not is a necessity depending on the car

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I was under the impression that more aftermarket OPGs have failed than stock ones. That could be due to the stock ones being more reliable or due to people with aftermarket OPGs beating their cars harder.

Heres aftermarket gears from mmr failing in a thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mmr-opgs.156369/

Heres a thread with the same question almost:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...k-causing-engine-damage-under-900-whp.158240/

Lots of differing opinions on replacing oem gears and weather or not is a necessity depending on the car
Simply based on this post, stock OPG is absolutely the right move for you.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Simply based on this post, stock OPG is absolutely the right move for you.
I just ask my Ford Dealership Performance rep here,and he said the only OPG failing are from people drag racing tapping their rev limiters on a regular basis. Out of all of the Roush, Whipple his dealership has done, the only ones replacing their OPGs are racers who tap the rev limiter on a regular basis due to harmonica. But, he said he has not seen any actual harmonic testing as it relates to the OEM OPG.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I just ask my Ford Dealership Performance rep here,and he said the only OPG failing are from people drag racing tapping their rev limiters on a regular basis. Out of all of the Roush, Whipple his dealership has done, the only ones replacing their OPGs are racers who tap the rev limiter on a regular basis due to harmonica. But, he said he has not seen any actual harmonic testing as it relates to the OEM OPG.
Sounds like your dealership rep is the authority on OPG's. If someone want to replace them with aftermarket, do it. If they don't feel the need, then don't do it. I don't think anyone try trying to change anyone's minds here.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like your dealership rep is the authority on OPG's. If someone want to replace them with aftermarket, do it. If they don't feel the need, then don't do it. I don't think anyone try trying to change anyone's minds here.
Your correct, nobody is trying to change peoples minds on this forum. Members on this Forum are here to provide information pertaining to the OP Post. You want to change them, that's fine, someone else decides not to replace them that's fine. That's what makes this Forum great, People are allowed to pass on applicable information from credible or even unsubstantiated but reliable sources to hopefully provide enough information to give people an idea as to the best way they should proceed.
** I forgot, And Please, stop using the old and tired adage of "Your Dealership is the Authority on this or that subject Bla, Bla, Bla, Are you? What Actual Physical Test Do you have or done which shows the relationship between OPG failures with the statistical analysis Test. Please Provide, We would Like to See.
Thank You

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
only effects 20% of the population
If OPGs were failing at 20% rate or 1 in 5 cars sold, this would be a MAJOR issue. There would have been a class action lawsuit by now, and Ford would have long issued a recall on all Mustang and F150 engines.

Seeing as how that hasn't happened some 9 years after the engine came out, and is nowhere near happening, the fail rate is much much lower probably around 0.01%.

So going back to your example...if heart disease only affected 0.01% of the population, then yeah it would be pretty safe for a healthy person to say it's overblown.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
If OPGs were failing at 20% rate or 1 in 5 cars sold, this would be a MAJOR issue. There would have been a class action lawsuit by now, and Ford would have long issued a recall on all Mustang and F150 engines.

Seeing as how that hasn't happened some 9 years after the engine came out, and is nowhere near happening, the fail rate is much much lower probably around 0.01%.

So going back to your example...if heart disease only affected 0.01% of the population, then yeah it would be pretty safe for a healthy person to say it's overblown.
True but my point was since he has never had a failure, so the issue is non existent. Different story for the folks that did experience failure. But again if u feel u need OPGs do em. If you're good without em, don't do em!

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That's like a healthy person saying heart disease only effects 20% of the population, so it's overblown.
keep in mind, the "you need to replace your OPG's" started from parts sellers.

Sponsored

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
True but my point was since he has never had a failure, so the issue is non existent. Different story for the folks that did experience failure. But again if u feel u need OPGs do em. If you're good without em, don't do em!
Myself, and many others who were pushing their stock engines to extremes, and have not had failures over a long period of time, is evidence in the direction of, replacing your OPG's is not 100% needed.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Myself, and many others who were pushing their stock engines to extremes, and have not had failures over a long period of time, is evidence in the direction of, replacing your OPG's is not 100% needed.
I hear ya. Been 9.0 at 150 on stock gears and many have been faster. If you want em, do em. If you don't want em, don't do em!

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I think opg issues were created by main stream media to put fear in all of us mustang owners. They are trying to control us. It's fake news just like covid, the moon landing and teletubbies. None of that shit is real! Screw the man! :rockon:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I think it is common knowlage at this point. If you run a 2 step or ride the rev limiter in corners, change the gears.

OP
OP
DougS550

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I think opg issues were created by main stream media to put fear in all of us mustang owners. They are trying to control us. It's fake news just like covid, the moon landing and teletubbies. None of that shit is real! Screw the man! :rockon:
Say WHATTTT, I don't believe you
Teletubbies Are Real 😆
Sponsored