Center dash trim rattle! Need advise

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
Hi everyone. Since I bought the car I've noted buzzing and rattle in the center aluminum/carbon fiber trim. I took the trim out a few months ago and put some felt tape around it but I've noted that it's still creeks over the bumpy road.

This time I took out the trim and wanted to show you guys the back part of the trim to get some advice from you on what should I do. Should I put foam everywhere around the trim that creeks? I feel like the trim is not well made and it's very flimsy rather.

PHOTO_20200918_194032.jpg

PHOTO_20200918_194026.jpg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
For every place you see a clip on the back side of that trim - go to the dash and place felt tape over each location - wide enough so it covers a good area. Cut the slits in the felt tape so the clips press through.

Any other raised surface in that location, place felt tape where it might eliminate the creak, squeak or rubbing between the 2 plastic parts (dash and overlay).

mike3105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 (pre-FL) manual GT
On mine I found it was the three central vents. So I took the vents out (lots of videos on this), put felt tape around the circumference of where they contact the trim, and then clipped them back in. Now it's all solved. The felt tape made them a tighter fit, and now they don't move anymore over bumps.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey gang, for the vents and/or central gauges, there's no need to remove anything. I did, and still didn't fix the noises. What fixed it was shoving a small piece of rubber at the top (12 o'clock), which I cut out of a rubber washer I had laying around from some bicycle product. Made a little rectangle, shoved it all the way with a thin trim tool, and it's invisible, and zero noise now. Unfortunately, now my freaking door panels are making a racket, so will reluctantly have to remove them, and secure everything on the panels and inside the door. The last annoying rattle I'll have to tackle is the damn C-pillar one, but no idea what the hell that is. Stupid car; it's the worst I've ever owned in rattles (especially when new) by far. Oh well.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I put three pieces of rubber behind the top edge of the vent trim like ELP mentioned and that fixed it for me.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Glad I could help :). The less you take things apart (especially with this car), the better. And it's not needed in that case.

Unfortunately for me, I'll have to tackle the damn doors (removing door panels) sooner or later. Going to ALB tomorrow, and see how it does, but took car to a mountain drive last week, and the noise from the doors and C-pillar on rough asphalt was starting to drive me nuts. When will it end? Ha ha.

mike3105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 (pre-FL) manual GT
Glad I could help :). The less you take things apart (especially with this car), the better. And it's not needed in that case.

Unfortunately for me, I'll have to tackle the damn doors (removing door panels) sooner or later. Going to ALB tomorrow, and see how it does, but took car to a mountain drive last week, and the noise from the doors and C-pillar on rough asphalt was starting to drive me nuts. When will it end? Ha ha.
Before you remove all the door panels, I had a creak/rattle that sound like it was in the door panel, turns out that it was the barge board. Just one push pin was loose, and that meant there was a really annoying rattle that came through the door.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Will check that too, but in my case, it's the damn trim above the armrest, which is attached to the main door panel by melting plastic pins that act like rivets. Problem is it's not pushed hard enough against the panel, so there's a gap. When I push on it, the noise stops. It's worst toward the rear of that 'insert'. The other culprit can be a hose for the window regulator. Once in there, it's better to isolate it, even if not making noise at the moment. Hope I can tolerate the noise so I don't have to tackle it. If it stays as it is now I might. But it got worse from new in 1K miles, so not holding my breath. Thanks for the tip :).

mike3105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 (pre-FL) manual GT
Will check that too, but in my case, it's the damn trim above the armrest, which is attached to the main door panel by melting plastic pins that act like rivets. Problem is it's not pushed hard enough against the panel, so there's a gap. When I push on it, the noise stops. It's worst toward the rear of that 'insert'. The other culprit can be a hose for the window regulator. Once in there, it's better to isolate it, even if not making noise at the moment. Hope I can tolerate the noise so I don't have to tackle it. If it stays as it is now I might. But it got worse from new in 1K miles, so not holding my breath. Thanks for the tip :).
Report back with how it goes. My arm rest rattles unless I have a bottle deep in the door pocket. It doesn't seem to be fully flush. Wonder if the previous owner was a bit chunky and put too much weight on it. Will leave it as it's not noticeable for a while yet.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Before you remove all the door panels, I had a creak/rattle that sound like it was in the door panel, turns out that it was the barge board. Just one push pin was loose, and that meant there was a really annoying rattle that came through the door.
I just checked my running boards and one of the pins was loose. Explains the mysterious "door panel" rattle that started yesterday, thank you.

Sponsored
OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6
You
Hey gang, for the vents and/or central gauges, there's no need to remove anything. I did, and still didn't fix the noises. What fixed it was shoving a small piece of rubber at the top (12 o'clock), which I cut out of a rubber washer I had laying around from some bicycle product. Made a little rectangle, shoved it all the way with a thin trim tool, and it's invisible, and zero noise now. Unfortunately, now my freaking door panels are making a racket, so will reluctantly have to remove them, and secure everything on the panels and inside the door. The last annoying rattle I'll have to tackle is the damn C-pillar one, but no idea what the hell that is. Stupid car; it's the worst I've ever owned in rattles (especially when new) by far. Oh well.
You sir are a genius. I used some round rubber washer and cut it in prices then placed it on top area of the vents. No more rattle.

Btw my doors are rattling too. I am thinking should I take it to the dealer or do it myself. Let me know when you remove yours and see what you find.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
You

You sir are a genius. I used some round rubber washer and cut it in prices then placed it on top area of the vents. No more rattle.

Btw my doors are rattling too. I am thinking should I take it to the dealer or do it myself. Let me know when you remove yours and see what you find.
OKAT, I will give it a shot.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
For every place you see a clip on the back side of that trim - go to the dash and place felt tape over each location - wide enough so it covers a good area. Cut the slits in the felt tape so the clips press through.

Any other raised surface in that location, place felt tape where it might eliminate the creak, squeak or rubbing between the 2 plastic parts (dash and overlay).
This is the best advice yet. You need a cushion at every attaching point this isolates the attaching points from rubbing.
Sponsored