Center Armrest - Dual USB Hub w/ Type C

Matthewstorm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
I might try a mini-USB splitter I suppose, to at least get power to that port.
A splitter won't work. It has to be powered.
Sponsored

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
Has anyone ever figured this extra port thing out? I upgraded from a sync 2 to sync 3.4 with a kit on amazon, and it came with a new USB module that has a usb A and usb C port on it. And It doesn't have the extra slot to let me use that front USB port under the start button.

What do the regular 2018+ cars have for their USB module that lets them keep the front USB port working? Is there any way to modify stuff and keep all 3 usb ports working? Or would my sync 2 USB module work fine with sync 3/with apple carplay? It has an aux port and sd card slot

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
@illadvised Sync supports 2 USB ports max. Your USB hub that came with your kit isn't the right part if you want to use the front USB as a second port. Your original USB port hub won't be compatible with CarPlay.

This is the OEM part KR3T-14F014-AA from my 2019. Compatible with CarPlay:
20230706_194805.jpg

20230706_194628.jpg

If you can't find one, I could sell you mine go for a fair price. I don't use it anymore.

Last edited:

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
@illadvised Sync supports 2 USB ports max. Your USB hub that came with your kit isn't the right part if you want to use the front USB as a second port. Your original USB port hub won't be compatible with CarPlay.

This is the OEM part KR3T-14F014-AA from my 2019. Compatible with CarPlay:

If you can't find one, I could sell you mine go for a fair price. I don't use it anymore.
Thank you for clearing everything up for me. There's no chance of using more than 2 usb ports with sync? I was going to test a cheap usb hub made for a laptop in the center console usb port to see if there was a way to make that work, but I haven't found much info on sync usb ports. The original MFT hub has 2 usb ports, and aux connector and a SD card slot (I could have sworn the SD card slot reads as a USB port but I could be wrong)

I would be interested in your hub if that plus shipping would be cheaper than ebay!

And do you have any info on why the original port would not work with apple carplay? Just curious as I am not all that familiar with carplay USB requirements and cannot find information easily

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Thank you for clearing everything up for me. There's no chance of using more than 2 usb ports with sync? I was going to test a cheap usb hub made for a laptop in the center console usb port to see if there was a way to make that work, but I haven't found much info on sync usb ports. The original MFT hub has 2 usb ports, and aux connector and a SD card slot (I could have sworn the SD card slot reads as a USB port but I could be wrong)

I would be interested in your hub if that plus shipping would be cheaper than ebay!

And do you have any info on why the original port would not work with apple carplay? Just curious as I am not all that familiar with carplay USB requirements and cannot find information easily
I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe if you try to plug in a USB hub, Sync will display a message that says "USB hubs are not supported".

Compatibility wise, this is my theory: The USB hardware in the 2015 is a carry-over from the original release in late 2013 and was designed in the year prior to that. So it makes sense that Carplay, which debuted in early 2014, would not have been on Ford's engineering radar to ensure compatibility.

I can let it go for $50 USD, shipping included. If that is acceptable, I'll post up an official ad later today in the classifieds so we follow the forum rules.

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Has anyone ever figured this extra port thing out? I upgraded from a sync 2 to sync 3.4 with a kit on amazon, and it came with a new USB module that has a usb A and usb C port on it. And It doesn't have the extra slot to let me use that front USB port under the start button.

What do the regular 2018+ cars have for their USB module that lets them keep the front USB port working? Is there any way to modify stuff and keep all 3 usb ports working? Or would my sync 2 USB module work fine with sync 3/with apple carplay? It has an aux port and sd card slot
Same problem as well. Got greedy and opted for the dual with the USBC. Got it in the mail only to discover just a single USB on the rear and no pass through. Makes sense I guess because Sync3 only seems provisioned for 2 USB devices. Still, I had hoped that the SD slot in my old hub meant it could read from 3 aux storage devices.

The hub you want is HU5Z-19A387-C or used from a wrecked 2019 KR3T-14F014-AA. It is single lit USB-A with a passthrough that connects to the second cable in your armrest feeding the center stack port. I guess you could put a cover over the one in the center stack? These are not cheap. If you are looking for one used it probably has to be off of a >2019.

For future proofing, the USB-C port is pretty nice to be honest. Most phones now ship with USB-C only. You can buy a cheap black plastic dust cap for USB-A to hide the port on the center stack or 3D print one with a GT or Pony logo. A phone doesn't fit in the tray anyway. You can get low profile charger adapters for the lighter plug. Here's the lighter adapter I'm using which gives USB-A and USB-C charge ports and is so flush that you can close the flip cover over it when not in use. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BLYX8SHZ/. I have my phone clipped to a wireless charger attached to the vent fins and powered by the cigarette lighter adapter. I'm using AA wireless dongle. If I need to plug the phone directly for AA, the armrest is better because it beats having the phone rattle around the cupholders LOL.

These Ford plugs are known as "T-port." The T-port looks like a modified USB mini plug. It would probably be physically possible to remove material from the plastic jacket of a mini y adapter to plug into the wiring harness. Try to find one that supports data. The issue is that the USB mini is an older technology (first generation cell phone) and the chipset may not support Carplay even if there are no power issues. It would certainly be slower than a PD enabled lighter adapter for charging. Since the split would be before the hub, all connections would be impacted. Bandwidth would be divided. Your USB music would compete against your AA/Carplay connection.

A better option, but not as clean, would be to buy the Ford hub with dual usb-c/ usb-a and run a y splitter off of usb-c with a usb mini adapter connected to the jumper cable to the center-stack. Not as pretty with a visible cable loop in the armrest but more likely to work. It would also leave you with the option to unplug and use the usb-c in the armrest if desired. The chipset in the USB-C splitter cables will be more advanced and more likely to support AA/Carplay. All of these cables have embedded chipsets which determine compatibility with standards like USB 1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1. You will be lucky if a mini cable supports USB 2.0.

Cosmetic cover-- Attached image of 1" body panel plug with pin snipped off and attached with 3m body panel tape. Adds visual symmetry while hiding unused port.

plug.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: