Sponsored

Cayman GT4 or C7 Corvette Grand Sport?

Which would you buy for a (mostly) track/weekend-fun car?

• Cayman GT4, whether or not price was a factor

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • The Corvette is a better value, but the GT4 is a better car

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Corvette, whether or not price was a factor

Votes: 11 20.8%

• Total voters

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I'm hoping this will be a somewhat unbiased place to ask this question.

Here is all the information I have right now that I consider relevant:

So I'm considering buying a new car within the next year or so. This will be mostly a track toy for HPDEs and whatnot, but also a show-off-on-the-occasional-night-on-the-town car. Therefore luxury features are nice, but not the priority. It's primary purpose will be to go fast and be fun.

Corvette pros (expected drive-out price: $70-75K):
- More powerful
- That American V8 rumble with a more controllable volume level
- More luxury features. I still cannot believe how few features are even available on certain high-priced Porsches, a purported luxury brand with inflated prices. Ex: Keyless entry/ignition, backup camera, configurable digital display.
- Performance data recorder...!
- More practical (better gas mileage, more ground clearance, cheaper maintenance and insurance, probably easier to work on myself)
- Cheaper [obviously] -- to buy, to maintain, and to track.

Porsche GT4 pros (expected drive out price: ~$100K):
- Amazing steel brakes. I will honestly likely never have to upgrade them, no matter what track I run or how good I become. I expect to have to upgrade the Corvette's at some point, even with the Z51 package, which would add another $5-6K to that price.
- Just more track ready overall from the factory. Half roll-cage, seats built for a five-point harness, more capable and configurable chassis, fixed wing, etc.
- 400-500 lbs lighter.
- While it has two fewer cylinders, it does rev 1100 RPM higher. I love the sound of a high-strung engine.
- Better balance and more unique handling feel as a result of the rear mid-mounted engine
- Will probably be a better, more unique compliment to my daily driver (a 2015 Mustang GT PP). The Corvette has a bit too much in common with the Mustang.
- Far better resale value given the limited production run.
- Even though it's a silly reason to buy a car, the Porsche will be more "exclusive" and rare. More of a head turner/conversation starter.

EDIT: Now that the Grand Sport has been announced, I would get that, not the Z51. That means the first advantage for the Cayman listed above no longer really exists... and the second one is lessened, too. But of course the price difference has also shrunk.

What do you think? Let me know if you think I'm missing anything. If you have other suggestions, feel free to throw those out, but I'm obviously pretty heavily leaning towards one of these two.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Personally I would go with the Stingray, just because I think it's a LOT nicer looking, and you could do a lot with it with the extra money you would have left over if you were willing to spend the 100k on the Porsche.

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
Although I love the looks, performance and sound of this Cayman, if it were my money I would buy the Vette. The Vette is a lot more car for the money and Porsche maintenance and repairs are going to be twice as expensive.

I voted option 2, but would still buy the Corvette.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
The Corvette is Gorgeous, The Porsche is just a nice looking Porsche. Plus 30-35k buys you alot of upgrades or an Premium Ecoboost as a Daily driver.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
The vette is just another vette. Just another old guy with grey chest hair and a crossed flags chain tangled in it. Plus, it looks like something a 5 year old drew. (Yeah, opinions differ, I've really tried to like it, only GM product I've ever consistently liked). The Porsche is a lot of car for the money but that rear engine can have a learning curve. Ever throw a dart backwards?

Personally, I'd go Porsche. You won't see them by the droves (there are 4 new vettes just at my church, no porches, only my s550 and that is the general ratio everywhere I go it seems).

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Porsche - no question. You want rare and exclusivity? Again, Porsche.

If it were my money? I would spend the money on the Porsche.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
The vette is just another vette. Just another old guy with grey chest hair and a crossed flags chain tangled in it. Plus, it looks like something a 5 year old drew. (Yeah, opinions differ, I've really tried to like it, only GM product I've ever consistently liked). The Porsche is a lot of car for the money but that rear engine can have a learning curve. Ever throw a dart backwards?

Personally, I'd go Porsche. You won't see them by the droves (there are 4 new vettes just at my church, no porches, only my s550 and that is the general ratio everywhere I go it seems).
Cayman is Mid Engine - 911 is rear, It actually handles much better which is why Porsche keeps them low on power compared to the 911 so as not to hurt sales of the more expensive car.

Sponsored

Guardstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I don't understand these comparisons--these are two very different cars. I'd love to have either. I don't understand how anyone can think the Corvette styling is dated--911 styling goes back to 1963. I guess it comes down to two things--are you are Porsche type or Corvette type and how you want to be seen--Many Porsche owners are very closed minded about other cars-do you want a car to impress yourself or impress others.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
If you can spend $100k on the Porsche why aren't you looking at a Z06 Corvette?

Better in every way to the Porsche and still less money.

Quiksilver15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT

I was just about to post the same thing! If we are talking 100k for th Porsche, then why not grab a Z06/Z07 Vette

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
EDIT: And wow, this poll is dead even, heh.

I don't understand these comparisons--these are two very different cars. I'd love to have either. I don't understand how anyone can think the Corvette styling is dated--911 styling goes back to 1963. I guess it comes down to two things--are you are Porsche type or Corvette type and how you want to be seen--Many Porsche owners are very closed minded about other cars-do you want a car to impress yourself or impress others.
I'm not going to take what people will think of me for driving either car into consideration. I mentioned "exclusivity" mostly as an aside, but probably even most legit car guys will recognize the GT4 as a driver's car at least as much as the C7.

If people want to think I'm a closed-minded snob for driving a Porsche, cool. If they want to think I'm a hick or having a 1/3-life crisis for driving the Vette, also cool. I just want to drive the best car.

The Z06 is honestly a little too much car for me, heh. I don't think I need or can handle quite *that* much power. The performance would be 99% unusable on the street, for one, which would just taunt me every time I drove it around town. And even on the track, while the Z will ultimately be faster once you tame it, I feel like the GT4 (and to a certain extent, the Z51) makes the right compromises overall in terms of driveability and trackability.

A lot of the best tracks around me aren't super high speed, either, so I think the GT4 and Z51 would be more fun. And a lot of the advantages to the Porsche that I listed in the OP still hold true against the Z06.

Nissan GT-R for the win!
No manual = no thanks.

Plus, I think the car is kinda ugly to be honest.

... Plus, I've read/heard too much about how the car is just not all that fun to drive.
Sponsored

Last edited: