Sponsored

Cats bad? Exhaust loose? What’s the deal!?!?

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,
So obviously I, like many have ran the stock cats on the headers for some time (27k miles) and just recently whippled. The car sounds great for the last 100 miles with the h pipe to roush quads. Just yesterday as I’m out driving and get on it around 3k I start hearing the landmower type raspy sound. Also when I started it today it smells very strong not like normal. I attached the video below, it appears that 1 cat has possibly detached part of the internal honeycomb and may be jostling around in there. I’d love your feedback.
What are my option? I really don’t want to get much louder and catless headers are not going to work for passing emissions and such around here.
I hate to say it but I’d love a cheaper option to this... I’m thinking take it to an exhaust shop and have them cut the stock cats out and replace with high flow cats? Any recommendations on those?
Thanks for any help, I’m def not driving it till I get this figured out as I’ve seen cat material light on fire before and I don’t have a FE in the car.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bbarfoot14

Bbarfoot14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Update: got the car jacked up, all the connections look relatively fine. Granted it’s a few band clamps that have the normal water leak but nothing out of the ordinary.
Then I noticed a good bit of what appeared to be hair in the left muffler were the noise was coming from. It was a good bit of fiberglass hair which I can assume is from the roush muffler?
Can’t confirm if that’s the noise yet. I’m going to drive it without mufflers soon to see if it goes away and troubleshoot that.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
If the cats have failed, you will likely hear them banging around and/or you will have symptoms of them having melted like misfiring and an obvious difference in the exhaust volume coming out of each tip. I don’t know if the Roush mufflers are glass packs or not but it really sounds like you have a damaged muffler and that’s it.

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
Just sounds like a supercharged mustang with aftermarket exhaust to me. Btw in my experience a high flow cat will have just as much trouble passing inspection as a delete system. FI produces so much heat I would not want anything restricting it bc you’ll burn them up eventually. Just my opinion
Sponsored