Sponsored

Catch Can / Oil Separators Needed or Not?

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
What do you all think about catch cans for the 5.0? Something you will do or not needed? I'm planning on keeping my GT a long time. Maybe 10 years and 100K miles (or more). I do plan on modding it more down the road as well.

Do you think it would be wise to install a catch can right away when I get it home. Or lets say within the first 500 miles? I've never had one in my vehicles before. I've got 82000 miles on my GTO without one and it seems to be fine (although I've never had the intake manifold off).

Benefits and drawbacks?

Do you think the current catch cans for the 2012-2014 Coyote will be the same for the upcoming 5.0 version?

Thanks. :)
Sponsored

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Doesn't matter either way. The commercial catch cans don't do much good unless you drain them every couple days. They catch an ounce of oil and the rest goes in the motor. You open it up once day or once a month and they always have the same amount of oil in them. They are simply too small to make any difference.

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Doesn't matter either way. The commercial catch cans don't do much good unless you drain them every couple days. They catch an ounce of oil and the rest goes in the motor. You open it up once day or once a month and they always have the same amount of oil in them. They are simply too small to make any difference.
Wow do these motors have that much blow-by?

Have you had one before?

Would it make any difference in driving style, say short stop and go vs. long highway trips?

Thanks for any extra input.

Agarc

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.carandsoulcustoms.com
First Name
Ant
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP
i have one in the camaro cause its DI and those fuel cleaners wont reach the valves.. i change the oil ever 4k the catch can has about maybe 25% or a little less depends on driving, and btw if done right there should be a check valve in the can that doesnt let the oil back into the engine

JoelinNOVA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 R
What do you all think about catch cans for the 5.0? Something you will do or not needed? I'm planning on keeping my GT a long time. Maybe 10 years and 100K miles (or more). I do plan on modding it more down the road as well.

Do you think it would be wise to install a catch can right away when I get it home. Or lets say within the first 500 miles? I've never had one in my vehicles before. I've got 82000 miles on my GTO without one and it seems to be fine (although I've never had the intake manifold off).

Benefits and drawbacks?

Do you think the current catch cans for the 2012-2014 Coyote will be the same for the upcoming 5.0 version?

Thanks. :)
Yes I would and do, pass side only. JLT has them. Install easy in a few clicks.They catch enough oil i would not want to blow into the intake. Check it every few weeks. About a half can to empty. Those who say not needed have they run without for long term? I say no.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
i have one in the camaro cause its DI and those fuel cleaners wont reach the valves.. i change the oil ever 4k the catch can has about maybe 25% or a little less depends on driving, and btw if done right there should be a check valve in the can that doesnt let the oil back into the engine
Thanks for the input.

Yes I would and do, pass side only. JLT has them. Install easy in a few clicks.They catch enough oil i would not want to blow into the intake. Check it every few weeks. About a half can to empty. Those who say not needed have they run without for long term? I say no.
I've seen those from JLT. Do you think they will work for the upcoming '15 Coyote. In other words will the hoses fit, or should we wait until we see what size the plumbing is on the new Coyote. I wonder if Ford has changed the size or the location. (Hoses may not be long enough)???

JoelinNOVA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 R
Thanks for the input.

I've seen those from JLT. Do you think they will work for the upcoming '15 Coyote. In other words will the hoses fit, or should we wait until we see what size the plumbing is on the new Coyote. I wonder if Ford has changed the size or the location. (Hoses may not be long enough)???
MY Guess? Same, but I will wait. Sure hope I can use mine. Just pop the factory back on the old and pop on to the 15

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
MY Guess? Same, but I will wait. Sure hope I can use mine. Just pop the factory back on the old and pop on to the 15
Cool. You can be the "guinea pig" so to speak. Let us know if it works. Since you ordered early you will probably get yours before me. I'd love it if you share your findings. :)

JoelinNOVA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 R
Cool. You can be the "guinea pig" so to speak. Let us know if it works. Since you ordered early you will probably get yours before me. I'd love it if you share your findings. :)
Don't be so sure, I have no vin or build date, two months later.

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Don't be so sure, I have no vin or build date, two months later.
I'd say seeing you are in Orange County, CA that you have a much better chance than me who lives out in the sticks. ;) Who knows though.

Sponsored

MikeSVTGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GTCS, 2015 LE #399
I have one on my 2011, I will order one for my 2015 ...... they work well

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I track my 350z and have about 180000 miles on it. Never used a catch can or even considered it. I realize they stop the PCV system from venting the oil into the intake, but what drives the need for such a system? Are there issues with the airflow sensor or something? I can understand the desire for one on a DI engine, but why on the Coyote?

-T

Don's Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500. 2018 C63S
I just don't get the whole catch can thing. I have pulled the supercharger, off my 2011 mustang, fairly recently to install a new elbow/throttle body. The intake was very clean, almost no oil at all. I think oil separators design actually capture oil that would be sucked back into the crankcase. Think about it, a hose runs through the top of the catch can, with a can sitting 3 inches lower. As air with any oil runs through the top of the separator a little bit of the oil coats the top of the separator, and little by little drips down into the can. That's oil that's not going back into the oil pan. If you keep draining it without adding oil to the engine, it's just like opening the drain pan, and removing a little oil every once in a while.

I've seen talk about them for years, and never had a issue not running them. To me it's a band aid to a non existing issue. The only time you might want one, is if you have a race only vehicle

Just a way for JLT to rip us off. I don't think his products are all the well if, at all engineered. His stuff is more bling than functional.

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
I track my 350z and have about 180000 miles on it. Never used a catch can or even considered it. I realize they stop the PCV system from venting the oil into the intake, but what drives the need for such a system? Are there issues with the airflow sensor or something? I can understand the desire for one on a DI engine, but why on the Coyote?

-T
Have you ever had the intake off to see how much oil was in there? After 180K miles I would think it could have a decent amount. Basically to me its trying to keep oil out of where it need not be.

I just don't get the whole catch can thing. I have pulled the supercharger, off my 2011 mustang, fairly recently to install a new elbow/throttle body. The intake was very clean, almost no oil at all. I think oil separators design actually capture oil that would be sucked back into the crankcase. Think about it, a hose runs through the top of the catch can, with a can sitting 3 inches lower. As air with any oil runs through the top of the separator a little bit of the oil coats the top of the separator, and little by little drips down into the can. That's oil that's not going back into the oil pan. If you keep draining it without adding oil to the engine, it's just like opening the drain pan, and removing a little oil every once in a while.

I've seen talk about them for years, and never had a issue not running them. To me it's a band aid to a non existing issue. The only time you might want one, is if you have a race only vehicle

Just a way for JLT to rip us off. I don't think his products are all the well if, at all engineered. His stuff is more bling than functional.
How many miles when you pulled your s'charger? Do you have any pics to share at the amount of oil. I'm curious as I may want to go the blower route down the road.

langweiler

Threads
Reaction score
only usefull for DI engines imho. Because they tend to dirty inlet valves because no fuel washes the shafts and seats clean anymore. AUDI had muuuch problems with first FSI models. Other brands followed....i´m not a fan of these gimmicks for a few hp more. I hope Ford will wait before change to DI most for the reason to have the ability for a LPG installation. Fuel is much to expensive in germany (8$/gall.) so LPG is welcome for half the price. greetings from germany btw: which Camaro´s have DI already ? thought the DI corvette engine will come next year ? is it the ZL1 ?
Sponsored