Sponsored

Catalytic Converters & Boost.. Disaster waiting to happen? (Street / Strip )

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Get rid of the cats if you are going to keep it boosted. Tune will take care of the check engine light due to no cats.

Every tuner I have talked to knows of multiple people who lost entire engines due to cat failure on boosted cars.

Go boost and e85, no cats.
I keep cat temps on my N gauge.
Sponsored

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I keep cat temps on my N gauge.
What cat temps are you seeing? I have them on my nGauge as well. I know Mike has done lots of testing regarding temps... I will say mine can rocket up quick!!! I haven't seen the max they get to though as usually when i'm on it for a few seconds i'm far too busy watching where i'm going.

Cruise is usually 1100. Normal acceleration it get's up to 1500. When into boost 1600+ but not sure of the ceiling... I've not logged them either. I know they are inferred and only as accurate as date going in though...

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
What cat temps are you seeing? I have them on my nGauge as well. I know Mike has done lots of testing regarding temps... I will say mine can rocket up quick!!! I haven't seen the max they get to though as usually when i'm on it for a few seconds i'm far too busy watching where i'm going.

Cruise is usually 1100. Normal acceleration it get's up to 1500. When into boost 1600+ but not sure of the ceiling... I've not logged them either. I know they are inferred and only as accurate as date going in though...
Through the roof now. My gauge shows red after 1200 or so which happens on throttle tip in. 1600 comes in a second or less. Bye Bye kitties.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Through the roof now. My gauge shows red after 1200 or so which happens on throttle tip in. 1600 comes in a second or less. Bye Bye kitties.
Exactly! This is what i'm seeing as well. I know the threshold is what, 1680 or so? I'm sure that if I kept an eye on them when i'm at full boil i'd shoot past that pretty fast. I'm sure COT would come in to play somewhere though, but not sure how effective that is under full steam.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Do you think these are the same ones on the GT 350?

I have deletes now on my Whipple boosted GT 350 and was seriously considering putting the cats back .

Sounds too raspy up top and deletes are made of poor quality steel. so I am constantly chasing and welding leaks 🥺
I'm betting they're higher volume flow/less restrictive than the GT350. I can't imagine Ford oversized the 350 cats to the point that they wouldn't need to upsize them on the 500 making 50% more power/flow.
Sponsored