Sponsored

Castrol Edge 0w-40 European Formula

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Ecoboost Manual Performance Pack
What do you guys think???

I'm due for an oil change after my dyno session. Up to now I've been using BMW LL-01 Full Synthetic 5w-30 twin turbo oil with great results (oil sample after tuning came back from blackstone with wear below normal result).

However, my supply of the BMW oil for cheap has run dry and I wanted to try a different European oil. I've been recommended this one

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-0310...ay&sprefix=castrol+,aps,155&sr=8-1-spons&th=1

What do you guys think for our ecoboost application?
Sponsored

OP
OP

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah but these are 8's... I was wondering how it would be for the turbo 4 appliccation

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30
I use this. Great cold starts from an oil pressure reading perspective. Very good oil if you can find it. Not sure there’s anything better for 4500 mile change intervals.

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
What do you guys think for our ecoboost application?
Since you are familiar with Blackstone Labs you may want to read their report titled Which Oil Is the Best?

If you don't want to read the whole thing it basically says there is little difference in performance between brands. There are a few considerations regarding additives, but when it comes to lubricity and preventing engine wear--an oil's primary job--there just isn't much difference between oils of the same spec from different manufacturers.

I use Walmart's Supertech 5-30W full synthetic. It's typically manufactured by a major oil supplier (Conoco-Phillips, Valvoline, etc.), meets Dexos certification (which was developed to counter LSPI concerns) and is around $18 for a five-quart jug. At that price you can change your oil twice as often and all but eliminate oil performance concerns.

Last edited:

Deleted member

I use this. Great cold starts from an oil pressure reading perspective. Very good oil if you can find it. Not sure there’s anything better for 4500 mile change intervals.
Rotella 5w-40 synthetic, about $22 at walmart for a big jug, i do 4k-5k depending on how i drove the car. Oil pressure has also never been an issue.

Deleted member 35644

Look for oils with API SN+ for D.I. turbo engines. Pennzoil's website says Ultra Platinum is SN.

Castrol's website claims Edge is SN+, but you might want to dig deeper to make sure this applies to 0W-40 Euro.

Anything you can do to keep LSPI at bay.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I personally run 5w40 or if at a track day 10w40. Use the same oil as the VW GTI.

OP
OP

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought four 5-quart bottles. At 20$ per bottle I couldnt pass it up. Ill get the oil changed and run a oil analysis in a few months after I run it and will come back and update on how it did.

Sponsored

DavidinDurango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
My reasons for using 0-40: I like the zero because i HATE the way the gen3 motors start - too many revs with no oil pressure, 40 because I like a thick oil. So shoot me.