Cars.com compare the PP1 vs PP2

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I dont think so. Tires are an artificial improvement. For as long as I've been reading comparos (38+ years) tires have always come up. Legitimately so.
I get what you are saying, but then you are not comparing a stock from the factory vehicle. I like sport bike tests that throw on matching rubber. they also have to tweak suspension and setup for it to be proper. So throw on matching rubber to a PP1 and i still dont think it would match the times due to the PP2 having revised suspension tuning for the gripper cup tires. so what do we do then, start asking them to make suspension adjustments to make it "fair" fact is this is how they come from the factory and how it should be tested on the track. In stock form. We all know the PP1 would be faster around the track on sticker rubber and a more squared setup.
Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Reportedly different calibration for ABS, and the different modes as well along with steering. Its tuned more for track then a DD.

Except they claim it is NOT tuned for the track because it won't compete with a 1LE. Then they put track tires on it to try and keep up until the diff overheats.

The auto vs manual makes for a bad comparison. The street tire vs track tire isn't great either. My SRF is ~5 seconds a lap faster with the current Hoosier spec tire compared to the old Goodyear spec tire. I would not be surprised if the tires made most of the difference between the two of times.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Except they claim it is NOT tuned for the track because it won't compete with a 1LE. Then they put track tires on it to try and keep up until the diff overheats.

The auto vs manual makes for a bad comparison. The street tire vs track tire isn't great either. My SRF is ~5 seconds a lap faster with the current Hoosier spec tire compared to the old Goodyear spec tire. I would not be surprised if the tires made most of the difference between the two of times.
straight off the ford website. "MagneRide® Damping System with Track Inspired Calibration" the whole car is tuned to be more "track orientated" the only part that makes this a bad comparison is the auto vs manual, though they claim they saw no difference on speed down the straight. I think everyone knows the time was made up by braking and corning thanks to the differently tuned suspension and ABS calibration and mostly the tires. But again if you change the tires, your not testing a straight from the factory car.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I get what you are saying, but then you are not comparing a stock from the factory vehicle. I like sport bike tests that throw on matching rubber. they also have to tweak suspension and setup for it to be proper. So throw on matching rubber to a PP1 and i still dont think it would match the times due to the PP2 having revised suspension tuning for the gripper cup tires
No doubt! But gap in times is also important I think when evaluating which set of compromises I would want to live with for my $. Given the PP2 suspension is track focused but without the coolers to make it a track car...just seems weird.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Now to the real unimportant question? Did the pp2 overheat after 1 lap?:giggle:

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
straight off the ford website. "MagneRide® Damping System with Track Inspired Calibration" the whole car is tuned to be more "track orientated"
I think it would be interesting to put the same tires on both and see how much of that is marketing hype.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I think it would be interesting to put the same tires on both and see how much of that is marketing hype.
I would also. be really interesting to see the difference. now if we can get a proper driver in a car and get it done lol. should send the request to motortrend and see if Randy can match the times

C0BRA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Magnetic Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
This is terrible. Too many things wrong with this. Needs to be apples to apples comparison and that is certainly not the case here. Also you need to throw the GT350 in to the comparison.

C0BRA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The idea was to compare two different factory available versions of the same model, not to compare a modded PP1 vs a stock PP2. Maybe they should have thrown in a manual PP1 to have a three way comparison testing manual PP1 vs manual PP2 but also manual PP1 vs auto PP1.
And add in the GT350.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
And add in the GT350.
I mean i get you have a gt350, but not sure why they need to test it against one.. one would hope a set of tires and a little tuning doesnt let a GT get that close to a gt350 lol I guess it would be interesting to see though?

Sponsored

C0BRA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They talk about the PP2 being a baby GT350 so lets see how close it is.

Trevor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, 1993 Mustang LX, 2018 Audi S4
Thank the Lord sensors weren't in the differential of the '93 Mustangs.
I've tracked 93 Cobras, 500 RWHP 93 LX's, and 98 Cobras and never once did the rear differential overheat. I just keep the damn thing serviced and move on. I've never had a transmission cooler either. I've never seen nor heard of such a worry about trans or diff coolers except for this site. Obviously I'm not driving hard enough. Lol.

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
I have to agree that this was not a good comparison, or review for that matter, of the two packages. While I am biased due to having a PP1 '18, I have to say that the PP2 lacked the street/track balance that I wanted in stock form. I firmly believe that the PP1 with equal tire/wheel combo would match, or at the very least get straight razor shave close, to a PP2 car, driver/time/day/weather variables all being equal. That said, it will cost more for the PP1 to do that than what you can pick up the PP2 for, because we all know that you can't find those tires and wheel combo for $810 dollars!

Side note, did anyone else catch that they left the A10 in auto-mode, why...what the....whaaaa?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I would not be surprised if the tires made most of the difference between the two of times.
The thing is (a lot of people in this thread can't understand this concept), this is the case for just about ANY assortment of competing cars. Suspension changes such as springs or dampers VERY RARELY yields gains in a measurable aspect (cornering Gs, mechanical grip, etc), but rather make the car more controllable, thus allowing the driver to better take advantage of the grip provided by the tires. Ultimately, tires are ALWAYS the most significant factor in a production car's cornering abilities. Hell, I'd wager that a GT350R wouldn't be so much better than a standard GT with the same wheel and tire setup if it weren't for the power difference. Can't use those big brakes if your front tires don't have the traction to stop the car

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I dont think so. Tires are an artificial improvement. For as long as I've been reading comparos (38+ years) tires have always come up. Legitimately so.
WTF is "artificial" about putting better tires on a car?
Sponsored