Carpenter beeeeeees

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My wife has a terrible reaction to any kind of bee stings. So, if I see any kind of nest, I spray it with a foaming insecticide. I have never had one escape and they have never returned. I have been stung a few times, but it doesn't bother me. I've been stung by a lot worse things.

GoGoGadget

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
The traps work, but you need to seed them with a few dead bees. Something about the odor attracts them to the trap. They also don't like low vibrations, so I took a set of stereo speakers and a subwoofer and pushed them up against the wall that had the most bees flying in and out. A few hours of European EDM cranked up to 11 encouraged the majority to move elsewhere.

FYI, a .410 shotgun is not very effective. Or rather it would be if you hit them, but you don't get enough spread for a reasonable chance of a hit. A Bug A-Salt-Gun will hit them well, but they laugh it off. Much tougher than the household flies I take down with that.

OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The traps work, but you need to seed them with a few dead bees. Something about the odor attracts them to the trap. They also don't like low vibrations, so I took a set of stereo speakers and a subwoofer and pushed them up against the wall that had the most bees flying in and out. A few hours of European EDM cranked up to 11 encouraged the majority to move elsewhere.

FYI, a .410 shotgun is not very effective. Or rather it would be if you hit them, but you don't get enough spread for a reasonable chance of a hit. A Bug A-Salt-Gun will hit them well, but they laugh it off. Much tougher than the household flies I take down with that.
I slap them to the ground with the racket and smash them with a mallet. not kidding, and I learned, THEY ARE SMART. they will hover around me when im near their nest, etc, I stand there with racket, til they get distracted, and turn their back to me and hover, WHACK. then crush.

also, during the 10 minutes it took me to eliminate the last one, I saw random bees come by, and they would fight, then it would go back to guarding.

I eliminated about 6-8 of them. kept filling the holes, and I havnt seen any new ones at my mailbox, kept filling holes with caulk, there was one new hole at the shed, after I killed the defender, and I caulked it up.

think I pretty much wooped their ass.

been seeing hornets now out of nowhere around my back patio, I took them out with the racket. they dont die like the bees but it stuns them, then smoosh on ground. Part of me wants to rig a 9v battery to the handle of my racket, and run wire leads to the terminals inside the battery compartment, it would give it much more juice. the little Double A's do alright, but I assume 9v would absolutely fry them

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Double A's do alright, but I assume 9v would absolutely fry them
what is this, amateur hour? Hook your racket to the mains, and get a 110->3000V converter we use for cattle fencing. Note, your rack may not be insulated sufficiently for 3000-5000V.

Oh for best YT clicks buy a flame-thrower from Musk (no, I don't mean his silly EV 'cars') and run around with that.

Sponsored

Redbaron289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Convertible, 2019 Mustang GT
OP
OP
FreePenguin

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
They disappeared myself, I fought and won. Everyday smacking down and stomping the defender bees and caulking holes with their Queen or whatever inside. They eventually died because no holes happened and I heard them inside panicking trying to chew out.

I will be doing preventative maintenance here out every spring. If I see a bee, wiping it out now that I know what they are and holes

I spray temp sc ultra bug killer around perimeter of home few times year kills all the bugs. I am going to start hitting shed wood area and mailbox with it

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
I had a terrible problem with paper wasps a few years ago. To make matters worse, In Germany , its against the law to kill wasps or bees. I BS you not. :explode: That summer was a bumper harvest of wasps throughout Germany. Lots of hot dry weather helped them flourish. Nevertheless, I spent a very uncomfortable summer eliminating these f**kers. Did lots of research and study how to deal with these things. Ultimetely , I was very happy and relieved when mid September rolled around. Best strategy going forward is make sure in March - April the queens ( it's easy to spot them) never get the opportunity to establish a nest on your property.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a new weapon … :giggle:

If people thought @FreePenguin was amusing his neighbours with the electric tennis racket, I have no idea what mine thought with me playing Luke Skywalker with the Dyson wand …:cwl:

Last year I removed this from the loft, everything was dead :

1623615689253.jpeg

This year I sucked two golf ball sized nests up in the Dyson, along with two lethargic adult wasps.

Then I find this in the bird house :

1623615928548.jpeg

And then this in the kids playhouse :

1623615975155.jpeg

Which lead to a mad man in the garden with the Dyson and a garden cane … :cwl:

I got the small nest and about 20 of them of various sizes before managing to dislodge the big nest with a cane and suck most of it out of the hole.

That pissed them off enough for me to drop the Dyson and retreat to a good distance. Once they settled down a bit I returned to suck a few more up before we had to go out.

1623616281832.jpeg

Got home and whacked the box and about 10 more of them immediately flew out so I ran off again :cwl:, looks like round two is on for tomorrow …

WD :like:

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Best time to attack them is at night, they don't swarm then.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I have only seen carpenter bees in old, soft wood. The only exposed wood I have outdoors is treated and they generally don't like that. Males don't sting and they are good pollinators. I grow a lot of stuff in a container garden, so I leave them alone. Wasps and hornets are another matter, though.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
After multiple Dyson attacks and cordial bottle traps, the bird box has finally been liberated …

1624659961649.jpeg

1624660003111.jpeg

1624660025488.jpeg

Now I actually feel a bit sorry for them :frown: But after stinging my misses and based on the fact we have two kids at home, I can’t see that I had any other option …

WD :like:
Sponsored